iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

chopperflyer said:
Has anyone tried the WooKong way point and down link in a Phantom, I use mine on a 550 with a Bluetooth link to my iPad as well plugging into a laptop for a larger picture.

I have on my version 1.2 Phantom, just set it up once to test that it works. The regular NAZA (v1/v2) supports Data Link + GS for up to 16 waypoints, but I don't believe even that is functional in the Phantom 2's custom firmware.

I have a P2V and a P2 ready to go with all (expected) required hardware. I am starting to wonder if DJI is not releasing the firmware updates (etc) required to enable this on the P2 and P2V due to legal or other pressures that might come from enabling beyond visual range (BVR) flight. There is a lot of negative press on UAS, drones, UAVs etc right now and many hobbyist clubs insisting on never flying beyond visual range and visible response control--you must be able to see and control your Phantom with your eyes like any other RC aircraft the AMA states conceptually.

Is any one else worried that this is not a technical or functional issue from DJI and that they may be delaying for legal/political reasons?

REGARDS!
TXHillCountryPhantom

TXhillcountryphantom said:
I have a P2V and a P2 ready to go with all (expected) required hardware. I am starting to wonder if DJI is not releasing the firmware updates (etc) required to enable this on the P2 and P2V due to legal or other pressures that might come from enabling beyond visual range (BVR) flight. There is a lot of negative press on UAS, drones, UAVs etc right now and many hobbyist clubs insisting on never flying beyond visual range and visible response control--you must be able to see and control your Phantom with your eyes like any other RC aircraft the AMA states conceptually.

Is any one else worried that this is not a technical or functional issue from DJI and that they may be delaying for legal/political reasons?

Apparently not: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 5811878964

This is the part I am worried about and my point in the initial message:

"All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay."

This could be a long time with all the political BS and growing fear of "drones" in the US anyway...

I feel no better seeing this as anyone using GS with a 550, for example, already knew the technology was nearly ready...

I think you're reading too much into their message. They're not going to sit around and wait for legislation. They only have to comply with current applicable law. They don't have to comply with political or public sentiment nor do they have to speculate about future regulation. As I understand it, some governments have asked for specific "no fly" areas from DJI meaning GPS assisted flight including ground station wouldn't work in those areas.

Regardless, I don't think they'd be telling us it will be ready in two weeks if they weren't confident they can release it in two weeks. If there was a big hurdle or significant uncertainty, they wouldn't be saying anything about it. The two week message is undoubtedly good news that it will be with us shortly.

Can anyone help me with a technical query. I am getting a Windows 8 touchscreen tablet PC with usb and Bluetooth 4.0. Am I able to use this instead of an ipad and if I can how will I connect it to the ground station?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

philipfretwell said:
Can anyone help me with a technical query. I am getting a Windows 8 touchscreen tablet PC with usb and Bluetooth 4.0. Am I able to use this instead of an ipad and if I can how will I connect it to the ground station?

I think you are going to have to use it as a PC and not as a tablet. Meaning that you will need to connect the TX to the USB port and use the PC software version. I don't think they have a windows app that will allow you to use it via bluetooth.

That would be fine for now. If I found the feature really fun or really useful I may spring for an old mini. The cost of the DJI isn't bad for existing ioad users... Thanks for the info.

That should have read - spring for an ipad mini - auto correction wins again :)

philipfretwell said:

You will need an iPad unless your Win8 tablet somehow runs iOS. The ground station app is for iOS. I have seen several references that indicate that the old PC software GS will not work with the P2. And I am still assuming only the to-be iPhone/Android app will serve as a dumbed down GS software for the P2V.

I suspect you are correct. This whole subject is very confusing. I get mixed messages when speaking to various UK traders who appear to know what they are talking about but I suspect that they don't. Only time will tell.... The annoyance is that my phone is a Note 3 with a large screen which would be adequate for the job but dji don't support android. Thanks for your thoughts.

I am sure they will do an an Android version of GS at some point but it'll probably be a while. I have a bunch of Android gear and very little iOS anything, so DJI, please get onto it.

Hi Guys from DJI Germany today .....

For the Groundstation we have only this Information from our official Facebook Page:

iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay.

Best Regards,

Technical Support

clivet said:
Hi Guys from DJI Germany today .....

For the Groundstation we have only this Information from our official Facebook Page:

iPad Ground Station support for the Phantom 2 is just about ready! We apologise for the long delay. The system is now 100% functional and has been thoroughly tested. All that remains is to make it compliant with the many UAV regulations now emerging all over the world. This process going at full steam and we expect to launch in approximately 2 weeks. Again, we sincerely apologise for the long delay.

Best Regards,

Technical Support
I saw that on FB few days ago as well.

This is what i got today by email from support.

Jorge G. (DJI Technology)
Mar 17 08:30
Dear Albert Cornelisse

Thank you for your email. The firmware update is still being tested and should be released in the upcoming weeks.

We will do our best to help you resolve this issue.
Thank you.
Customer Service Representative

TXhillcountryphantom said:
philipfretwell said:

You will need an iPad unless your Win8 tablet somehow runs iOS. The ground station app is for iOS. I have seen several references that indicate that the old PC software GS will not work with the P2. And I am still assuming only the to-be iPhone/Android app will serve as a dumbed down GS software for the P2V.

No need for IPad. Will run on a PC which will actually give you more options. The IPad is dumbed down from the PC capabilities. Personally I wouldnt trust it on the IPad. I'm setting up a 11" touch screen Windows 8.1 to run it. The guys at DroneFly said when they tested it they determined it didn't need contact with transmitter after uploading coordinates but you could regain control if needed. Still waiting for the firmware update though.

Is the firmware upgrade they have been working on for ever going to be a full blown upgrade for the phantom in general, and fix other thugs about it, or just be a firmware upgrade for the ground station hardware it's self ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl