iOS Ground Station on Phantom 2

hi all, I just purchased a p2 non vision and thought I would have to NOT use the ground station since the data link is 2.4ghz and so is the RC control (radio) because it may interfere. (like some folks reported the wifi from the hero3 interferes.)

has anyone had problems with this or is the 2.4 datalink safe to use? I believe the vision is "flipped" and uses 5.8 for the RC radio and 2.4 for video so this would not be a problem... am I crazy?

PetePerrim said:
Just a question that I was hoping somebody could help with. I have just ordered P2 with Ground Station etc. my iPad is wifi/Bluetooth but not 'air'. Will Ground Station work if I hook my iPad up to my iPhone as a wireless hotspot?

I would think so. In one video it said you don't need internet access. Granted it helps for google maps. I think as long as its the newer iPad and not the original thick iPad.

spunrdneck said:
hi all, I just purchased a p2 non vision and thought I would have to NOT use the ground station since the data link is 2.4ghz and so is the RC control (radio) because it may interfere. (like some folks reported the wifi from the hero3 interferes.)

has anyone had problems with this or is the 2.4 datalink safe to use? I believe the vision is "flipped" and uses 5.8 for the RC radio and 2.4 for video so this would not be a problem... am I crazy?

The data link uses 2.4 which is the same as the P2. It will not interfere because you are using one or the other, not both the TX and the data link. wifi on the gopro is different. The data link works flawless on my 450 using a 2.4ghz futaba.

okay, I get it so, when using datalink and an ipad.... I will not be using my radio... makes sense! awesome! :D

You will still have the radio on, just not using it. You can override the ground station and take control with the radio in case you realize its heading into trouble.

Latest tweet from DJI on the release of ground station support. Just this picture, no release date. Not very informative.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 907
Personally I think it's all BS....they advertise the p2 for use with the GS...and then you can't use it? They even have an ipad app. all the pieces a guy needs to buy (>$200) and when you get it and try hooking it all up....oh sorry you can't use it yet! Even now if you look at the DJI website it's showing autonomous flight for the P2..but yet no software to fix the bluetooth issue on the phantom 2? Sure you can use it with F550 but i'm saying don't advertise or put it out there to use if it aint ready!!!!

thetac said:
Personally I think it's all BS....they advertise the p2 for use with the GS...and then you can't use it? They even have an ipad app. all the pieces a guy needs to buy (>$200) and when you get it and try hooking it all up....oh sorry you can't use it yet! Even now if you look at the DJI website it's showing autonomous flight for the P2..but yet no software to fix the bluetooth issue on the phantom 2? Sure you can use it with F550 but i'm saying don't advertise or put it out there to use if it aint ready!!!!

I completely agree with you. I admit I should have done a bit more research before my purchase of the Datalink, but DJI is manipulative with their advertising. they present all of these great features on the website as if its all inclusive, but then in very small print it says that you need this extra attachment, but then when you get the attachment you find out that it's not compatible. for $700 all of those attachments should be built in.

I feel no pity for you guys. $700 is not that much at all. The original zenmuse was $700 as was the original phantom. $1400 for what you are now paying $860 for. If they release the firmware early and it has bugs and your phantom crashes, you are all going to cry like children. Let them do their jobs. Fly your phantom with the controller like a big boy for now.

thetac said:

I would agree except that a little homework would tell you it's not ready. They probably missed their deadlines. I'd rather they take the time and do it right. Personally, I am going to sit on the sidelines with ground station and watch others use it first. Too many things can go wrong.

moveease said:
for $700 all of those attachments should be built in.

Come back in two years and it will be even less. And it will be fully integrated and fairly bulletproof. But right now, you're too early in the adoption curve.

Ksc said:
I feel no pity for you guys. $700 is not that much at all. The original zenmuse was $700 as was the original phantom. $1400 for what you are now paying $860 for. If they release the firmware early and it has bugs and your phantom crashes, you are all going to cry like children. Let them do their jobs. Fly your phantom with the controller like a big boy for now.

Well said. We should all read up, know the risks, purchase only when we feel we understand enough about it. I would love to have ground station tomorrow but I've got enough on my plate with flying the P2 as it is.

This is very similar to 3d robotics and the Iris.....they took your money up front and promised a product on a deadline...when the product wasn't complete on time they refunded your money without question. I'm not complaining about the cost of the P2, or the Vision if that's your gig,....what i'm saying is what they are doing is nothing short of false advertising and if I created/expanded my company by making false promises or not meeting promised deadline deliveries I would be in jail or bankrupt!

I don't have a problem waiting for the firmware update, if that is truly the hold up.....my problem is that there is nothing on their webpage about the phantom 2 saying: "coming in the near future GS for autonomous flight"......no they lead you to believe that the capabilities are already there.

That said, I would rather know that my P2 is safe to fly using the GS configured by DJI themselves, so I will wait until I know it's proven.....for now I am very happy flying it the way it is (i think it's much more reliable and steady than the two earlier models i've purchased). If I really wanted autonomous flight on my P2 I would switch out the guts to a true V2 complete and do it that way.....we know that works already!

I think many are mostly disappointed in the fact that they advertise it on their website like it's a done deal. You just need the Bluetooth datalink. Well no, you need more than that and you can't get it. So yes, their website is completely misleading.

We could file a class action suit against them for false advertising, maybe we could get an attorney recommendation from Colin Guinn on a good attorney that knows how to sue DJI, lol.

Seriously, if you do your homework, it's not diffilcult to determine that the Phantom 2 isn't ready for Waypoints. I had questions and posted about it on this very forum and got the answers before I bought. (I still bought it though, lol.) But so far, I haven't put it on my Phantom. No need to until the software arrives.

But I'm still having fun with my Phantom 2! Woohoo!

I contacted DJI today. Their own words were the phantom 2 is a watered down version of the naza m v2. The BTU will not work with the phantom 2. They had me send mine back to replace the phantom controller with the Naza M V2. They gave no indication of any new software coming in the future to resolve the problem. Has anyone else sent theirs back?? They promised they would get mine working.

3dmana1 said:
I contacted DJI today. Their own words were the phantom 2 is a watered down version of the naza m v2. The BTU will not work with the phantom 2. They had me send mine back to replace the phantom controller with the Naza M V2. They gave no indication of any new software coming in the future to resolve the problem. Has anyone else sent theirs back?? They promised they would get mine working.

your first and only post was on a thread more than a week old. Odd. The Phantom 2 uses its own Naza which you could say is in fact a watered down version of the M V2. I highly doubt that they offered to change yours to the M v2 because it would mean you don't need to use their $150 batteries.

your first and only post was on a thread more than a week old. Odd. The Phantom 2 uses its own Naza which you could say is in fact a watered down version of the M V2. I highly doubt that they offered to change yours to the M v2 because it would mean you don't need to use their $150 batteries.

Hey, I might be new to this but that's what has happened. I wasn't happy that the BTU didn't work especially since I contacted them to ask if it would work. Then I got the unit the BTU unit and it didn't work. By going to Google I googled phantom DJI to BTU unit red light and it took me to your site. After reading some of your post I found out that this was an ongoing problem wasn't happy since I had been told by DJI that the BTU would work with the Phantom 2 verbally. I really don't know how all the DJI products work together but this is going to be interesting to see how this works. It is interesting to see what will happen with the battery gimbal and the light system on the Phantom 2. They say it will all work so I guess I have to trust them.

Oh, by the way I sure hope my battery's still work because I've got two of them. I would also like to mention that the new DJI place in California sure seems like a breath of fresh air compared to the old DJI.

Something doesnt sound right.

All the naza are pretty much the same except for firmware. DJI said that the p2 would support waypoints but needs a firmware update, that was originally scheduled for jan 2014 as per the manual but since been delayed. It doesnt make sense that they are swapping your fc to a regular naza 2, people have done that and it does fly, but it will cause the underarm status led to mot work. Can you post the contact of the dji rep that your spoke to so more of us can see what is being done?

I am not so happy as i have already purchased the ground station kit and am still awaiting the firmware update.

I just called the California number off the DJI Innovations web page. 818-235-0789 the wait takes forever but they do answer and are pleasant to work with. I just described my problem and they are taking care of it.

3dmana1 said:
That´s strange. This is what you can read on DJI:s homepage, today 20/2-2014, at the bottom of the download side.
* iPad Ground Station function will be available soon!"
If it is as you assert, I think they would have officaly gone out with that information because of all the questions they must have got from people who already have bought the hardware.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues