iOS device question

Reaction score
This morning a DJI support guy gave me a list of recommended iOS devices for use with the P4. Every device on the list (iPad Mini 2, etc.) was listed twice: as a stand-alone and as a WiFi / cellular combination.

Q-1) Is it possible to operate the P4 with an iPad that's not connected via WiFi or a cellular connection?
Q-2) If so, how does DJI GO control the camera, etc.?
Q-3) If not, why does DJI list a "naked" iPad as a viable tablet for the P4?

Thank you in advance. ~ gpb

The P4 does not use Wi-Fi. A cellular connection is not required in order to fly.

The P4 uses its RC/Lightbridge connection for all operations.

Does the P4 use this RC/Lightbridge connection to access DJI GO as well? I was under the impression that the DJI GO app was required in order to fly the drone.

Yes, DJI GO transfers its data via the Lightbridge connection.

You'll need some kind of app to fly. DJI GO is best for beginners. Once you master that, you could try other 3rd party apps if you're looking for some type of feature not available in DJI GO. Keep in mind that no 3rd party app completely replaces DJI GO, so you'll always want to keep it on your mobile device in case you need it.

Yes, DJI GO transfers its data via the Lightbridge connection.

You'll need some kind of app to fly. DJI GO is best for beginners. Once you master that, you could try other 3rd party apps if you're looking for some type of feature not available in DJI GO. Keep in mind that no 3rd party app completely replaces DJI GO, so you'll always want to keep it on your mobile device in case you need it.

Thank you for your patience. So would this be a true statement, "Neither the P4 nor DJI GO need an iOS (or Android) device that is connected to the Internet to fly"?

Yes, that statement is true. Lots of people are flying with Wi-Fi only devices. You'll only need to connect your mobile device to the Internet to do things like download and cache the map images, upload your flight logs, or install new firmware.

Thank you for your patience. So would this be a true statement, "Neither the P4 nor DJI GO need an iOS (or Android) device that is connected to the Internet to fly"?

Not only is internet not required, but you can fly a P4 without an external device plugged in to the USB port. The external device is only there to provide video, change settings and provide all the fancy features.

you can fly a P4 without an external device plugged in to the USB port
While technically true, this is not a good idea. Not only will you not have access to vital flight data, your flight data will not be logged locally on your mobile device. The result could be a costly mistake or a potentially lost Phantom if it does not land in the expected location.

Save your bucks and get a iPad that has cellular + wifi.

No doubt you'll want it later for either some autonomous flying apps and maps, and you can upgrade to a SIM card and cellular service later too. Beats doing what I did by buying a cheap Samsung tablet (that breaks up video and hesitates on switching via the buttons by being slow to work when the screen goes away for a second or two) and had no ability to use wireless later on. So now I got two tablets where if I had purchased the best one designed for the system to begin with I'd have one.

Cry once rather than twice as they say.

Well, there is no iOS device that doesn't have wifi. But setting that picky point aside, you don't need wifi to fly the Phantom. You do need wifi at some point before you go out flying to check for firmware updates and the access and cache maps.

The other thing....if your device has cellular+wifi, it will also have GPS and therefore allow "follow me" mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers