IOC Logic Help Please

Reaction score
Hi

I'm a newbie with half a dozen flights or so and I'm trying to understand how the IOC actually works in practice.

It seems to me that with the HL engaged, the Phantom actually behaves like CL until it is beyond 30 feet. Then you have to reengage HL by cycling the IOC switch to get HL to function as described. When returning to home from beyond 30 ft by pulling back on the stick, the Phantom stops at the the home point and then switches into CL mode and zooms away in accordance with the CL rules unless I center the stick. I then have to fly beyond 30 feet to reengage the HL by cycling the IOC switch. Is this correct?

Next, I stopped the rotors (but left the system on) and carried the Phantom to another spot and tried to record a new home point by cycling the IOC switch CL-HL-CL 6 times but that didn't seem to replace the original home point. Did I do that properly?

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers

Mike V

SilentAV8R

I have seen that video and several others so I fully understand the differences between IOC off/CL/HL.

What I am asking for verification of is my observations of

1. trying to engage HL while within 30 feet actually engages CL
2. after flying beyond 30 ft having to re-engage HL to get it to go into HL
3. HL drops back into CL when reaching the home point.

Also, how do I reset the home point? I thought I did it the way the docs suggest (cycling HL-CL-HL 6 times) but it did not take.

Thanks.

mikeve said:
SilentAV8R

I have seen that video and several others so I fully understand the differences between IOC off/CL/HL.

What I am asking for verification of is my observations of

1. trying to engage HL while within 30 feet actually engages CL
2. after flying beyond 30 ft having to re-engage HL to get it to go into HL
3. HL drops back into CL when reaching the home point.

Also, how do I reset the home point? I thought I did it the way the docs suggest (cycling HL-CL-HL 6 times) but it did not take.

Thanks.

I will try to answer your questions as best I can as I have flown in NAZA around 10 times.
1. This is true. HL switches to CL when you are within 30 ft of home. So HL is CL if you engage HL starting from within 30 ft of home. It doesn't auto switch back to HL as you fly > 30ft from home.
2. This is also true. Since 1 is true, if you are < 30 ft of home and engage S2 down, you are in CL. No auto-switch when you fly > 30 ft of home. You would have to re-engage HL with a toggle of S2 to middle then down.
3. If flying in from > 30 ft of home in HL, NAZA auto switches to CL < 30 ft, but not back again if you fly away > 30 ft.

That's my experience anyway.

To re-establish home position, toggle S2 all the way up and all the way down 6-10 times. You should then get the rapid greens again indicating success.

BlackTracer

Many thanks for your extensive reply. What I have witnessed and you have confirmed is slightly different a from what's in the documentation.

You imply that rapid green flashes means that the home point has been recorded. That seems to confirm what I have seen. After powering up, I see a green and 3 reds (no sats), the green 2 reds, then green and 1 red then 6 rapid greens which, according to the manual, means movement, but it has not moved. Then I see a single green meaning cleared for take off.

I will have to try the off-HL-off cycle to see if I get the rapid green flashes.

Many thanks.

Mike V

I would have thought that the best way to solve the problem---- first establish which Phantom you are talking about :roll:

Next stage--- submit the problem to the relevant sub forum.

Sorry, don't mean to be high handed- just a bit of advice ;)

mikeve said:
BlackTracer

Many thanks for your extensive reply. What I have witnessed and you have confirmed is slightly different a from what's in the documentation.

You imply that rapid green flashes means that the home point has been recorded. That seems to confirm what I have seen. After powering up, I see a green and 3 reds (no sats), the green 2 reds, then green and 1 red then 6 rapid greens which, according to the manual, means movement, but it has not moved. Then I see a single green meaning cleared for take off.

I will have to try the off-HL-off cycle to see if I get the rapid green flashes.

Many thanks.

Mike V

To clarify, the sequence is as follows for me:
1. With TX on and S1 and S2 up, power up P2V, power on light and sound sequence occurs.
2. Watching rear LEDs, green - 3 reds (no sats), green - 2 reds (some sats but < 6), green - 1 red (more sats but < 6), slow green (>= 6 sats).
3. Before the slow green and during the red-greens, I get rapid greens indicating course direction lock. I believe it is possible to get the course greens and the home position greens after the slow green.
4. Shortly after the slow green, I get rapid greens again (2nd set) indicating home position established. Remember you cannot get a home position until you have >= 6 sats.

If you are unsure if you got the second all-important set of rapid greens because you looked away or they were bunched with the course greens or whatever, after the slow green do the S2 toggle until you see them. Only after you are 100% certain you got home position, ensure S1 and S2 are up, and take-off.

Hope this helps.

discv said:
I would have thought that the best way to solve the problem---- first establish which Phantom you are talking about :roll:

Next stage--- submit the problem to the relevant sub forum.

Sorry, don't mean to be high handed- just a bit of advice ;)

Sorry but I have Phantom 1. This seems to be the only sub forum that is relevant. All the others relate to Phantoms other than the 1.

CL requires the compass only, unlike the HL which requires the GPS.
If all work well, the flight patterns should look like below:

CL-vs-HL-01_zpsfbf621ef.jpg

For me the CL and HL are for emergency use only but they are helpful for some videographers who require such flight patterns.

Many thanks to Blacktracer and Tanasit for you very helpful replies. I now understand the state machine that controls the switching between CL and HL.

Thanks again.

Mike V

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20