Investing stocks/bonds/shares in drones/parts companies?

Reaction score
Never bought stocks/shares from a company in my life. But have been thinking about the future of drones, and it does seem to be an industry that will grow a lot in the the near future.

So my questions are:

Can you buy shares in the big companies like DJI or the companies that supply parts to the drone makers?

If you can, how would you do it?

Has anyone done it?

Reactions: BlackOpsTeamster
DJI is a private company, so you cannot buy shares of their company on the public market. There are not alot of options for investing in the drone industry, but you could try investing in the Flight Controllers or batteries companies that power them.

do you know which companies dji uses for its flight controllers batteries, electric motors etc?

i hope to put a little cash aside and invest in

Ambarella Inc (NASDAQ:AMBA)

and

GoPro Inc (NASDAQ:GPRO)

Ambarella is a semi conductor video processing company big in the drone industry and GoPro is coming out with their own drone next year. Ambarella is also the brains behind GoPro.

ive never bought stocks before...and trying to understand how it all works seems complicated!

gopro looks interesting....has anyone bought stocks from them, and what broker did they use? im located in england is that makes a difference.

Be glad you don't own AMBA. Got hammered today on the China news.

China devalued their currency. its affecting their whole market...

but yes, not a good time to own it..

mark cuban just invested in drone computer vision startup Percepto
Another area to keep on your radar is the geofence sw developers. Anything to do with privacy will eventually creat demand.

got any tips, i like your thinking...

Another area of interest for investment is video editing software. I was just looking through the Photos and Video section of the forum and thinking to myself how good some of you have gotten in not only taking pictures and video but editing those pictures and video. It's really quite impressive and that's just in our own little part of the world here on the forum. Very good, inexpensive cams on high tech, inexpensive consumer multi-rotors may create a boom in video and picture editing software like Adobe. Just a thought....
BOT

Last edited:
Reactions: Utah Drone Imaging
Since Yuneec is a private company what's the play? Intel?
BOT
It would stand to reason Intel will profit tons in the next few years if they do things right. The major thought on this is a drone that is smart enough to maneuver around objects and fly completely autonomously is right up Intel's alley. Mark my words as soon as Intel and Yuneec go public with their first Intel based drone, Intel will skyrocket.

It would stand to reason Intel will profit tons in the next few years if they do things right. The major thought on this is a drone that is smart enough to maneuver around objects and fly completely autonomously is right up Intel's alley. Mark my words as soon as Intel and Yuneec go public with their first Intel based drone, Intel will skyrocket.
Thanks for your insight UDI,
I tend to agree with you and like the fit. Intel has the chips and Yuneec has the code. Its certainly a strategic play by Intel and kudos to them for seeing and understanding the future. What I'm unsure about is exactly what Intel got for its 60mil. I think we're going to see a LOT of partnerships in 2016 as all the big players scramble to get the best seat. I made a fair amount of money in the late 80's and early 90's on US Robotics because I seen the demand for a connected world through the early Internet and they had the goods. AOL was another nice ride. I think we may be at a similar point in time with this technology. I honestly think its gonna be a game changer. Yeah, the more I think about it the more I like it...
Intel that is..
kr5h95xd9jo0h7m6g.jpg

"if they do things right", THAT'S the 60 million dollar question.. LOL
Thanks UDI
BOT

Last edited:
Reactions: Utah Drone Imaging

This is a very, VERY small part of intel, and they will own a very small part of Yuneec,, they probable made the investment as a way to get them to use Intel chips (nothing illegal about that),,.

The problem right now is most of the pure drone plays are private, and will probable either go public shortly, at a crazy high valuation, or be purchased by a major company. I have invested in stocks for 25+ years, I also ran a division of an internet start up, broadcast.com, that was later purchased by Yahoo for $5.7 Billion (not that long after we went public),,someone mentioned Mark Cuban, that was the company that took Mark from being a mere Multi-Millionaire, to being a Billionaire I knew Mark when he was just a successful geek,,

Any way you slice it, the drone market will be a tiny fraction of Intel's biz. They are just trying to spread around their money a bit and make sure they have future customers.

GoPro is a bit more of a pure drone play....

Those who want to invest more "early stage" and who have the $$$ can join drone.vc.
It's a small venture capital outfit that lets you invest as little as $3K Usually 5K) in upstart drone related companies.
For example, I invested with them in this company:
PreNav Raises $1.2 Million for Robot-Guided Drones

In the regular stock market...by the time you and I can buy shares the companies are usually overvalued. The early investors already made their money.

That said, Intel pays a dividend and is still a good company. Other plays include invensense which makes the IMU's.
InvenSense | Sensing Everything

Good Luck!

I could have bought a drone company with what I lost in the last few weeks in the stock market.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20