Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Inverted Camera, need help

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Rust, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Rust

So I just bought my PV2+ today and after unboxing it I noticed some weird things going on. Has anyone had this issue and does anyone have a fix?

[​IMG]

Basically I am now trying to 'flip' the gimbal back into its original position but the two protruding parts aren't allowing me to do so. Is there any way around this?

*Green circles: Protruding metal bits
    *Red arrow: Direction which I have to push the gimbal
    *Red circle: Ripped ribbon

[​IMG]

2. burlbark

The camera/gimbal has been wrecked. It's going to run you $85 for the ribbon and a minimum $50 for install. The potentiometers may be cracked so you are looking $230 total shipped for repair. It's not always a simple fix.

3. Rust

It seems to be functioning properly when I turn it on, it just keeps trying to re-align itself to its upright position but it can't due to that thing being in the way.

4. PhilAnderson

Living In The Woods Of Beautiful Bonney Lake, WA
    You seem to be saying it came out of the box this way. If that's the case the fix is to send it back for exchange.

5. Rust

I am but they are taking quite some time to reply.

6. burlbark

The ribbon cable tear is absolutely going to cause a failure of something. I repair 4-5 a week and have seen it all. I am pretty sure you could pull straight out on that horizontal axis and the press fit motor shaft would slide out allowing you to flip the camera. Then you would need to zero the horizontal potentiometer and secure the horizontal arm with red loctight after scouring both mating surfaces.

7. Rust

Would I have to unscrew something to pull it straight out or is it connected magnetically? I've seen videos of aligning the horizontal potentiometer but none of pulling the axis straight out.

8. Rust

To be frank the Phantom did fall around 5 feet but I have no idea how a fall from that height could completely flip the camera the way it did.

9. burlbark

It's a press fit that easily fails. The magnets alone are not designed to hold it. If the motor shaft bent/flexed that much to allow it slip by the it's likely the motor controller now has a broken potentiometer. I would expect it to slide ride off the shaft with a little wiggle though.

10. Rust

Using this image as reference:
    [​IMG]

You mean I should be able to pull the bit with the larger green circle right off? It seemed to be putting up quite a struggle when I tried.

11. CityZen

The part with the big green circle should be able to slide to the right in that image. It must have done so in order to get how it is in the first place.

12. burlbark

If it tweeked past it then the motor shaft will be bent and more than likely the potentiometer will need replacing along with the motor shaft removed annealed straightened and re-tempered. its becoming a daily thing now.

13. Rust

It doesn't slide off, even after putting force on it the thing doesn't want to get out.

14. burlbark

You can pm me and I will give you my number to call.

15. Rust

Cheers I've sent you a PM

16. Rust

Thanks burlbark (from USdronerepair) for the help, I now have another issue that arose.

If anyone else can provide advice it would be much appreciated!

17. CityZen

You have your answer already. This is due to the ribbon cable tear. Replacement cable is $85 from ATK Drones. They can install too for additional cost.

Actually, the SD card issue may be due to the 4-pin connector coming out.

18. Rust

Thanks for that, looks like I'll have to send it to the shop.