Inventor/New Flyer with Idea Needs Advice

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a brand new Phantom 2 Vision + 3.0 owner. Just received it as a holiday gift from my family after months of not-so-subtle hints. I'm doing a lot of learning and video watching before I taker her up for the first time.

Anyway, during this learning process, being an inventor by nature, I had an idea for a feature I'd like to add/test on my machine once I'm a bit more experienced flying it.

My question is if there is a simple way to wirelessly activate, and power, a 3V device that I intend to attach to my Phantom. Assume for the discussion it's a simple 3V LED. I want to use a switch on my radio controller to turn on or off the LED attached to the Phantom. My preference is to use the battery power from the Phantom vs. adding a 3V battery (likely a coin or 2-AAA) to my device. I know this will reduce my flight time, but I'm OK with that for my purposes.

My other possible option is that the "LED" or device, may use 12V (it uses a more commonplace and cheaper part that is 12V). So any thoughts on powering a 12V device would be appreciated too.

Thank you for your help. I'm really looking forward to getting involved.

This... Or something like it ... Simple car alarm trigger used to turn lights on and off on the car http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Wireles...7?pt=Garage_Doors_Openers&hash=item5afe45b28d
$_12.JPG

Combined with something like this to drop the voltage... This one is 5 volt but you see where I'm going with that... http://www.ebay.com/itm/FPV-Focus-B...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item25910c7531
$_57.JPG

You can power it from the quad. But you really should NOT do any flying with your V3 until dji gets a grip on why they are falling out of the sky. There has been 8 of us in the past 9 days just on this forum, and slew more on other forums. It's really bad!

Your main problem is you are stuck with a DJI radio with no unused channels available...unused channels on a TX/RX setup of 8 or more channels are used regularly to send/recieve the inputs you are looking for....

New flyer + electrical modification = crash or flyaway

Just be happy learning your new bird. don't worry about modifying it.

flyNfrank said:
You can power it from the quad. But you really should NOT do any flying with your V3 until dji gets a grip on why they are falling out of the sky. There has been 8 of us in the past 9 days just on this forum, and slew more on other forums. It's really bad!
This is the first I've heard of this epidemic Frank. Is there a thread that has collected all the details?

slothead said:
flyNfrank said:
This is the first I've heard of this epidemic Frank. Is there a thread that has collected all the details?

Someone needs to contact 'Erotic Panda' (on this site) because he seems to believe that most of these crashes are mostly due to pilot error and their inability to either read or understand the manual. I'm sure he will have answers for all of you!

We don't have a main thread on this forum.. But there have been a crap load of threads with v3 owners who's Phantom falls from sky.
Also a heap of people in this thread on another forum http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

It sucks cause I have 2312 motor upgrade on my non v3 vison +.. and its summer here and I am to scared it will crash now, so not flying... I should really put the stock motors back on actually, silly to have it just sitting about not flying :(

slothead said:
flyNfrank said:

justin00 said:
We don't have a main thread on this forum.. But there have been a crap load of threads with v3 owners who's Phantom falls from sky.
Also a heap of people in this thread on another forum http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

It sucks cause I have 2312 motor upgrade on my non v3 vison +.. and its summer here and I am to scared it will crash now, so not flying... I should really put the stock motors back on actually, silly to have it just sitting about not flying :(

slothead said:
flyNfrank said:
Thanks for that Justin. I was planning on doing the ESC/motor upgrade (I already am flying with the 9450 props on my P2V+), but I will wait a bit now.

Thanks everyone so far for your thoughts so far.

My thinking now due to the DJI remote control channel limitations, is to so something like DBS suggested, that is a separate low-power RF system to communicate between the device and a small key fob remote. Any other suggestions or ideas are still appreciated as I'm in the early prototyping proof-of-concept stage. To CatchinChrome's point, my intent is not to modify the Phantom in terms of flight functionality, but to add this external low-power device for another (and hopefully fun) purpose.

As for flying my v3, I'll wait a bit longer for more info. Seems to be ESC wire gauge issue from what I can tell, although there's no major news coverage (well, a Google search anyway) of the issue being prevalent. I'm wondering if it would be prudent to put some additional heat protective material around each of the individual ESC wires? Thoughts?

First of all DO NOT Modify this bird in any way at the present time....do not open the shell...you will void a warranty that may be necessary to redeem...just my $.02....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers