Invasion of Privacy

This tv station doesn’t have their own drone operators to review the footage? All four of the local stations here have drones, drone pilots and camera operators. A lot of positive PR comes from their presence.

I agree wholeheartedly @Nightwolf here is his address: [email protected]

This was my letter to him:

In this day and age of exaggerated or outright untrue news reports (FOX listen up) you are doing the fourth estate a great disservice by making assumptions and allegations that bear no resemblance to reality and the facts.

Put another way, your reporting on this digital anomaly was irresponsible…

And to add your own drone footage and drone sound effects was inexcusable and a blight on journalism in general.

If you had done your due diligence you would have sought the advice of drone professionals to analyze this footage…

A simple analysis would have shown that drones do not fly (slowly at that angle) – and in the dead of night, do you know how difficult it would have been to fly anywhere near that porch without wrecking.

This was not a drone, it was digital artifacts from the IFR sensors in this cheap camera.

Shame on you for sensationalizing a bogus report…

In the industry, [I am a professional UAS pilot with a business in Hawaii] we are faced with untold allegations and false assumptions from members of the public, reporting like this fuels the fire of fear.

If you are a responsible “news agency” you will either air a retraction or do a follow up piece that examines in more detail the actual footage.

Aloha

[name]
[tel no]

cid:clip_image001.jpg

Drone pilots, professional or recreational that use their drones to invade other's privacy are causing problems for everyone. Many have their concerns, even fear, of drones and when the news reports "peeping" drones it escalates these concerns and fears. It forces lawmakers to impose local regulations on drone restrictions.

The question that I have is, if you knew who this was, would you help report or protect the pilot?

This invasion of privacy happened in the St. Louis Area

Instead of being afraid of drones peeking into our windows at 4am, we should be afraid of the media airing unconfirmed and unsubstantiated stories that panic the uninformed public. If these reporters would do their jobs, they would discover that recreational drone cameras are all but useless at night. The cameras on recreational drones are designed for daylight flight. A drone would be the worst possible choice for spying at night. The only image that a drone camera might see pointed at a window at 4am, would be a reflection of its own navigational lights.

People are not least bit concerned that every phone has a high-def camera with electronic zoom. Some new phones are being equipped with night vision capabilities. There are far more intrusive devices for spying than a drone. Cameras with zoom lenses are all available on Amazon. I have never seen a recreational drone equipped with a zoom lens.

There is no media indignation about privacy when it comes to hand held cameras. But hang a camera on a drone and all bets are off. I think that pictures of military drones with hell-fire missiles hanging from their wings are partially responsible for the public’s perception of recreational drones.

There will always be a few who will push the boundaries of good sense and try to ruin a good thing for all of us who obey the rules. There are far fewer drone incursions than the media would have you believe. If it was a done at that person’s window, my bet is that the owner was a testosterone laden teen with a cheap $50 drone. Hardly jack the ripper.

It is up to the good pilots to share reality with the public and to show people what drones are really like.

When someone is near-by, when I am flying, I always hold my iPad out and say, “Isn’t this a great picture?” Most walk away pleasantly surprised and far more drone friendly. I answer every question with the truth and point out many of the things I talk about in this posting. If we go out of our way and share what we know, public perception just may change. It’s up to us to save our sport.

By the way, many reporters in Houston are now using drones to improve the video in their stories. I’ve seen a couple of P4-Pros in the news reports.

I find it hard to believe that's a drone. Hard to tell what it is.
Close quarters for daytime flying, let alone try to peep at 4am with a drone that sounds like angry bees. Fishy story
Looks more like a commercial for Wyse Cam. They mentioned it by name 4 times, showed multiple pictures, named the price as well as the features of the camera. someone got paid.

The answer to your question is YES, I would turn in (and or beat down) a peeping tom no matter what type of equipment was being used

I agree, I think there is more to this story than meets the eye. If it’s legitimate then absolutely the flyer should be caught and prosecuted.

What made the home owner instal the camera in the first place? Is it coincidence that the day after it was installed it captured some grainy footage of some lights? Would she not have heard the drone, if that’s what it is?

Make sure you get both sides of the story and don’t rely on a money making organization (TV company) to give you the ‘facts’.

I agree wholeheartedly @Nightwolf here is his address: [email protected]

This was my letter to him:

In this day and age of exaggerated or outright untrue news reports (FOX listen up) you are doing the fourth estate a great disservice by making assumptions and allegations that bear no resemblance to reality and the facts.

Put another way, your reporting on this digital anomaly was irresponsible…

And to add your own drone footage and drone sound effects was inexcusable and a blight on journalism in general.

If you had done your due diligence you would have sought the advice of drone professionals to analyze this footage…

A simple analysis would have shown that drones do not fly (slowly at that angle) – and in the dead of night, do you know how difficult it would have been to fly anywhere near that porch without wrecking.

This was not a drone, it was digital artifacts from the IFR sensors in this cheap camera.

Shame on you for sensationalizing a bogus report…

In the industry, [I am a professional UAS pilot with a business in Hawaii] we are faced with untold allegations and false assumptions from members of the public, reporting like this fuels the fire of fear.

If you are a responsible “news agency” you will either air a retraction or do a follow up piece that examines in more detail the actual footage.

Aloha

[name]
[tel no]

cid:clip_image001.jpg
I also wrote a very similar letter to him.

Although the Wyse Cam is mentioned, they are not affiliated with KMOV or FOX that both reported this. In my opinion the emphasis is on the drone being used to invade a person's privacy and irresponsible drone pilots that are causing forced regulations that may hurt us all. I would hate to not be able to do a real estate job becuase of local laws resticting drone use.
Sometimes, folks just worry way too much for their own good. High BP, anxiety and sleeplessness are symptoms. Don't let them worry you to death.

I think everyone should call that woman. She's the one with the fake news story. And just why did she put a camera in the middle of her backyard on a pole? Most would hide it up high near an entry way or good angle to capture the back or front of the home, business. She has it aimed mostly at her neighbors fence. Even if they could see her, by the looks of her hands I'm sure even if there was a light on there was still nothing to see. Especially to risk your drone over.
I'd say for sure she has a beef with a neighbor or boyfriend. Someone who knows she put a camera there. Maybe her own children messing with her.

I think everyone should call that woman. She's the one with the fake news story. And just why did she put a camera in the middle of her backyard on a pole? Most would hide it up high near an entry way or good angle to capture the back or front of the home, business. She has it aimed mostly at her neighbors fence. Even if they could see her, by the looks of her hands I'm sure even if there was a light on there was still nothing to see. Especially to risk your drone over.
I'd say for sure she has a beef with a neighbor or boyfriend. Someone who knows she put a camera there. Maybe her own children messing with her.

This is silly speculation. Maybe she wanted to see animals in her backyard – I have two cameras up for just that purpose. You can't create a motive by simply assuming a reason to begin with.

This is silly speculation. Maybe she wanted to see animals in her backyard – I have two cameras up for just that purpose. You can't create a motive by simply assuming a reason to begin with.
it wasn't for animal viewing . watch the video again she put it up because she thought she was being spied on or watched with a drone . the lady is off her rocker and must have a bone to pick with someone . maybe a neighbor has a drone and she and them don't get along and she's trying to create trouble . Just speculation of course

it wasn't for animal viewing . watch the video again she put it up because she thought she was being spied on or watched with a drone . the lady is off her rocker and must have a bone to pick with someone . maybe a neighbor has a drone and she and them don't get along and she's trying to create trouble . Just speculation of course

No - she said absolutely nothing of the sort. She did not state any reason for adding the camera.

Reactions: anotherlab
As a new pilot, along with a couple of neighbors, this has already become an issue in the eyes of the misinformed public. Twice we had idiots come up to us and think they could stop us from flying in a public, desert area, in proximity to homes. In both circumstances, we attempted to inform the person that we really can't spy unless we are right in their face, we don't spy, could care less and even offered to review my printed list of current laws and give them a demonstration of how these cameras can't see a thing from a 200-500 feet up and don't have military spec surveillance cameras. Didn't matter, idiots are idiots, we had to chase them off after their bogus threats. Of course, they called the cops, but the cops have much more important stuff to do here and never showed up. I watched a lot of YT videos about this topic, but getting first hand experience and the absolute IDIOT MENTALITY that could not be reasoned with was a bit much. Good thing we are all large athletic guys who also support the 2nd Amendment.

I think that's the most frustrating thing. If someone has an incorrect perception of drones but is willing to learn and have things explained to them, I'm ok with that. But when someone has their mind set one way and no matter what logic you present they still don't change their stance, I can't handle it. It's too much.

Reactions: sar104
I think that's the most frustrating thing. If someone has an incorrect perception of drones but is willing to learn and have things explained to them, I'm ok with that. But when someone has their mind set one way and no matter what logic you present they still don't change their stance, I can't handle it. It's too much.

And that doesn't just apply to drones. The internet, and social media in particular, has demonstrated that extreme confirmation bias is far more widespread than previously thought.

Reactions: Bad Andy and Wilbur
Drone pilots, professional or recreational that use their drones to invade other's privacy are causing problems for everyone. Many have their concerns, even fear, of drones and when the news reports "peeping" drones it escalates these concerns and fears. It forces lawmakers to impose local regulations on drone restrictions.

The question that I have is, if you knew who this was, would you help report or protect the pilot?

This invasion of privacy happened in the St. Louis Area

Quite literally, the absolute WORST way to spy on someone is with a drone. But yet somehow the paranoia continues. Mind boggling.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart