Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

I've only had 3 flight so far but i'm gonna stay grounded until this gets sorted out. I look at it everyday wanting to fly it but the best of me tells me not to. Sometimes I heard my quad say "fly me, fly me."

Seems to me that DJI wanted to be the sole supplier of highly marked up proprietary batteries, and the implementation in the Vision design that would have ensured their monopoly has itself backfired and may have actually doomed the roll-out of their flagship Phantom. While other LiPo battery market prices continue to drop through competition and payoff of the battery R & D, DJI appears to have developed a plan with the Phantom Vision to undermine the trend and make serious money supplying an essential component of their product...a component with a finite lifespan that they could supply to users over and over at whatever price they set.

The problem they created is indicative of what greed will get ya when ya pull such shenanigans.

PF

Well I read this thread and saw the battery failure videos about 22 minutes after I got the shipped notification for my DJI Phantom Vision :roll:

My first big investment into a quad, but not my first quad. Not too happy, but at least I know so I can keep it low and dry.. for now.

I've been doing a bit of reading, but all on the webs so you never know. I too like to see an innovative company do well, but I also don't stand for slack in companies.

1. They screwed up by shipping a defective product (How many test flights would it have taken to notice this issue)
2. They don't assume responsibility for damage caused by said defect (Do they?)
3. They have a bad track record of ignoring issues with the previous model of this one (Wish I had known that yesterday)
4. EDIT: No Phone number for support or the company.
I hope I'm wrong, cause I'm not selling this thing, too cool! I'm in it for the long haul if I have to.

Well the response I got from Dji was to send back my quad to where I purchased it for a replacement... I dunno whats to say the one I get next won't have the same issue....

I had nine successful flights and then yesterday "Invalid Battery" warning with a full charge. It fell like a controlled rock, damaged one rotor and some scuff marksl. Cleaned the battery terminals like DJI said and still has the issue. Hopefully that firmware update is the fix. I love the Vision, but its pretty useless to fly anywhere with the risk of it damaging it self or someones property.

Hopefully the claimed "Phantom Pro" won't have a similar issue. Keeping my fingers crossed.

PhantomFan said:
Seems to me that DJI wanted to be the sole supplier of highly marked up proprietary batteries, and the implementation in the Vision design that would have ensured their monopoly has itself backfired and may have actually doomed the roll-out of their flagship Phantom. While other LiPo battery market prices continue to drop through competition and payoff of the battery R & D, DJI appears to have developed a plan with the Phantom Vision to undermine the trend and make serious money supplying an essential component of their product...a component with a finite lifespan that they could supply to users over and over at whatever price they set.

The problem they created is indicative of what greed will get ya when ya pull such shenanigans.

PF

This rings so true of the modern company's/corporations of today. :roll:

I think all early adopters of the P2V, should get a free second battery for the trouble! ;) :mrgreen:

Shedracer said:
PhantomFan said:

PF

This rings so true of the modern company's/corporations of today. :roll:

I think all early adopters of the P2V, should get a free second battery for the trouble! ;) :mrgreen:

I am amassed that so many of you DJI fans bought the Vision out of the box. The only thing that will save the farm is for someone to make a clone battery. Dji needs to be informed, trying to do business like this will not fly. So for now, my plans to do future business with DJI is on hold and will remain so until this bs is resolved. I think we need the Colin Quinn guy to proceed with some serious ***-kissing about how this whole battery deal was a huge mistake. He needs to fess up and fix the mess.

Got this from DJI:

Dear Carlos,

Please contact the person in Precision camera & video to help you on the replacement.

Thank you,
Dealer Technical Support | DJI | www.dji.com

Pretty disappointed...

Has anyone contacted the BBB of Texas? It seems that there is easily over a hundred complaints just on this forum. The BBB's has an online form to complete, they are quick & get results when the individual can't, & they also can/we'll bring complaints to other other gov't bodies such as safety commissions. So I suggest everyone start filling out complaints at the BBB & let them deal with it. We already pay for this service with our taxes & you'll be surprised at how efficient they operate...

Oh & I'm suggesting the Texas BBB since that's where DJI resides, filing complaints in our own states would work just as we'll but I personally feel that with the possibility of bodily harm this would escalate rather quickly if we concentrated with one chapter of the BBB.

Regards,
Steve

itsmecarl123 said:
Got this from DJI:

Dear Carlos,

Please contact the person in Precision camera & video to help you on the replacement.

Thank you,
Dealer Technical Support | DJI | http://www.dji.com

Pretty disappointed...

Please post what they tell you to do and if they give you an idea of what the problem is. A friend of mine called me this morning, I didn't realize he was trying to buy one. He called 3 places to order it, none had them in stock. All of them told him because of the issues with the battery and some other reasons they are not planning on selling or stocking them until they find out what the issue is. I know one of them was DSLR Pro's

FASTFJR said:
itsmecarl123 said:
Got this from DJI:

Dear Carlos,

Thank you,
Dealer Technical Support | DJI | http://www.dji.com

Pretty disappointed...

Please post what they tell you to do and if they give you an idea of what the problem is. A friend of mine called me this morning, I didn't realize he was trying to buy one. He called 3 places to order it, none had them in stock. All of them told him because of the issues with the battery and some other reasons they are not planning on selling or stocking them until they find out what the issue is. I know one of them was DSLR Pro's

I will. I forwarded DJI's e-mail to the folks I bought it from and I also replied to DJI's email asking if replacing the Phantom itself would solve the issue. Could be a flaw in the actual hardware. There is supposed to be a firmware fix this week, from what I've read, that may fix the issue. Who knows until we get it and start flying...

I've had over one dozen flights with my PV and have had one minor compass problem (along with a self-inflicted scare caused by my lack of patience and NewBness), but I've never seen the "Invalid Battery" problem at all. It seems that many of us have. Are there any of you out there that have had MANY flights without this issue?

I'm wondering if there might have been a "bad batch" of batteries... or is this problem purely systemic and will visit us all eventually. I'm extremely hesitant to put her up over twenty feet until this whole fiasco plays out...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
I've had over one dozen flights with my PV and have had one minor compass problem (along with a self-inflicted scare caused by my lack of patience and NewBness), but I've never seen the "Invalid Battery" problem at all. It seems that many of us have. Are there any of you out there that have had MANY flights without this issue?

I'm wondering if there might have been a "bad batch" of batteries... or is this problem purely systemic and will visit us all eventually. I'm extremely hesitant to put her up over twenty feet until this whole fiasco plays out...

-slinger

Gunslinger,

I am in your boat... I haven't seen the "Invalid Battery" problem yet either. So far, my experience w/the PV has been nothing short of amazing. But, after reading all of these posts, I too am quite hesitant to fly the PV until further notice. However, Dronefly linked this issue (per DJI) to the user not putting their batteries all the way in.

I hope the solution is as simple as making sure the battery is fully inserted. If so that's great, but the other half of this is, no matter what the solution is the battery check for authenticity should not result in the loss of control when the aircraft is flying. Even if the solution is to solder a jumper wire to defeat the battery check circuitry all together, the firmware code needs to be change & not result in the loss of power to a perfectly good flying aircraft. I don't have a problem with their overly priced batteries, at least not like the problem I have with the firmware code that interrupts operator control while the aircraft is in flight, that's just plain careless, selfish, & irresponsible.

I know until the code is changed, it's my catch all phrase anytime I want a replacement Phantom. If I fly it into a tree, no problem, it said "invalid battery" I need a replacement please... No? The Consumer Protection Agency would load up their agents in school buses for a field trip to Austin, TX over an issue like this. Agent would fall over each other at the opportunity to make a name for themselves with a product defect like this!?!? It's rarity when you have the smoking gun in the hands of the perpetrator, companies usually create the typical maze of vendors & suppliers with holding corps. who only have the patents & everyone licensing the idea to each other, aka "piercing the corporate veil" & not providing a corporate phone number or a warranty in writing doesn't count.

Steve

rbarghini said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Gunslinger,

I am in your boat... I haven't seen the "Invalid Battery" problem yet either. So far, my experience w/the PV has been nothing short of amazing. But, after reading all of these posts, I too am quite hesitant to fly the PV until further notice. However, Dronefly linked this issue (per DJI) to the user not putting their batteries all the way in.
Guys
In my case I had the problem very early on however I can categorically state that it was NOT due to the batteries not being all the way in, being employed in aerospace design I figured it could have been a problem with the small pins straight away.
In my case I had the vision on the bench all week end powered up with motors not running hence no vibration and the fault would randomly appear. I can assure you I would have needed a hydraulic press to have tried to get a better connection on installing the battery.

Wormwood said:
I hope the solution is as simple as making sure the battery is fully inserted. If so that's great, but the other half of this is, no matter what the solution is the battery check for authenticity should not result in the loss of control when the aircraft is flying. Even if the solution is to solder a jumper wire to defeat the battery check circuitry all together, the firmware code needs to be change & not result in the loss of power to a perfectly good flying aircraft. I don't have a problem with their overly priced batteries, at least not like the problem I have with the firmware code that interrupts operator control while the aircraft is in flight, that's just plain careless, selfish, & irresponsible.

I know until the code is changed, it's my catch all phrase anytime I want a replacement Phantom. If I fly it into a tree, no problem, it said "invalid battery" I need a replacement please... No? The Consumer Protection Agency would load up their agents in school buses for a field trip to Austin, TX over an issue like this. Agent would fall over each other at the opportunity to make a name for themselves with a product defect like this!?!? It's rarity when you have the smoking gun in the hands of the perpetrator, companies usually create the typical maze of vendors & suppliers with holding corps. who only have the patents & everyone licensing the idea to each other, aka "piercing the corporate veil" & not providing a corporate phone number or a warranty in writing doesn't count.

Steve

Hear hear I totally agree with everything you say
Good speech sir

Just got off the phone with 'Trent' at DroneFly. Explained that I would like to return my defective PV (invalid battery & intermittent power loss on camera). He told me that I should make sure the battery was fully seated. I assured him it was! He said he would have to get authorization from DJI for a return or exchange and that it would take 2-3 days. I find this very odd. I thought DroneFly had excellent customer service? I'm beginning to think this problem is getting so big that the distributors are starting to panic... which would be a good thing to help expedite a resolution. He also mentioned that all of my issues should be fixed with the firmware update due out next week. I have my doubts...

HollyFlier said:
Just got off the phone with 'Trent' at DroneFly. Explained that I would like to return my defective PV (invalid battery & intermittent power loss on camera). He told me that I should make sure the battery was fully seated. I assured him it was! He said he would have to get authorization from DJI for a return or exchange and that it would take 2-3 days. I find this very odd. I thought DroneFly had excellent customer service? I'm beginning to think this problem is getting so big that the distributors are starting to panic... which would be a good thing to help expedite a resolution. He also mentioned that all of my issues should be fixed with the firmware update due out next week. I have my doubts...

So a firmware update should fix a problem with a battery seating :shock: :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers