Invalid Battery on Phantom Vision..Advice needed.

You really ought to assume that any RC aircraft might fall out of the sky at any moment and should never fly anywhere where any kind of failure could lead to it falling onto people - and failure includes pilot error. It's not just this particular issue but electronics can and do fail at any time, props can physically fail, motors can die on you.

Sorry to get all preachy this early in the morning but it's slightly worrying to hear that people don't have confidence flying over crowded areas because of this battery error issue. Anything can (and eventually will) happen, fly accordingly.

Driffill said:
I want to buy a vision, just so I can use an aftermarket battery with it!

Wow! Do you have an after-market battery just lying around then? I can think of many reasons for buying a vision, but that isn't one of them. :D

TisiRaptor said:
Driffill said:
I want to buy a vision, just so I can use an aftermarket battery with it!

Wow! Do you have an after-market battery just lying around then? I can think of many reasons for buying a vision, but that isn't one of them. :D

I have 4 aftermarket 2200mah lipo batteries. (I own a v1 phantom) and I LOVE to F**k with things! I'm not happy until I've disassembled anything I own, and understand how it works and how I can make it work better for me.

There are plenty or reasons to buy a vision, but until this issue is solved, they are all pretty much nulled!

If it flew flawlessly out of the box, I'd have no interest in it lol.

I was flying mine and was into the flight by about 3 mins, and suddenly, the invalid battery alarm displayed and the quad went into what appeared to be a stepped random decent.... narrowly missing the local curry house.... and landing next to the old folks home. And before people have a go at me for flying in a built up area.... I was actually at our clubs flying sight. Well away from buildings etc. its just the Phantom took on a mind of its own..... I was lucky to retrieve it, using the homing function. On retrieval, the battery actually had plenty of charge. So what is going on? There is some logic error in my opinion. Why not just check for a vaild battery before flight, but then once airbourne, just monitor battery voltage. That would be safer. i.e you can't fly if you don't have the proper battery, but once airbourne, its only the charge state that is monitored!
IMHO there is a serious logic error with the software, that either needs a software change or a hardware fix. My Phantom nearly ended up in the Chicken Vindaloo, and I'm not flying it again until this issue is fixed. In fact I'm going to send it back.

O dear CB it was only a matter of time before something like this happened
I am glad none of the old folks got hurt and hope DJI get a fix soon
I have provided links to DJI service in another thread could I respectively ask you to send them this story
So that they get to realise the gravity of the situation (pun intended)

I've not encountered any issues myself yet but I certainly second people reporting to DJI and perhaps more importantly reporting back to dealers, especially authorised dealers. As DJI only market through dealers then having those guys shouting loudly to them about a lot of potential refunds will help chivvy things along.

I've not encountered any issues myself yet but I certainly second people reporting to DJI and perhaps more importantly reporting back to dealers, especially authorised dealers. As DJI only market through dealers then having those guys shouting loudly to them about a lot of potential refunds will help chivvy things along.

UPDATE!
Well, after 5 flights it happened to me! Was about 15 minutes into my flight and I started to bring her in. About 100ft away, got the invalid battery warning. I was able to control it, but at what seemed like half power. Landed safely, thankfully! Powered her down, removed battery, checked connections and powered it back up. Flew for another minute or two and got the warning again! Looks like I am now grounded until this issue is resolved. It's such a shame, as I love the whole Phantom Vision concept, but I just can't fly with a flaw like this!

HollyFlier said:
UPDATE!
Well, after 5 flights it happened to me! Was about 15 minutes into my flight and I started to bring her in. About 100ft away, got the invalid battery warning. I was able to control it, but at what seemed like half power. Landed safely, thankfully! Powered her down, removed battery, checked connections and powered it back up. Flew for another minute or two and got the warning again! Looks like I am now grounded until this issue is resolved. It's such a shame, as I love the whole Phantom Vision concept, but I just can't fly with a flaw like this!

As others have said, it's vital that you report this to DJI, either directly or to the dealer you bought it from. I love the concept of the Vision, and I hope to enjoy it very soon, but I can't use mine until I know this problem is fixed. I need to have faith it's going to work as it was intended and it's not at the moment.

I'm sure DJI are working hard to resolve it, but we mustn't let them think it's only a minor issue. If you have encountered the "invalid battery warning", let them know.

Hear hear Shedracer here is a copy and paste from my earlier post with contact details.
I have not yet had a response from DJI

Dear,
Your this problem was very dangerous. You can't fly your coper. You must contact your dealer Dronefly to fix it. And let him help you to replace or fix this battery.
Thanks

[email protected]

If you think I am becoming a pain on this forum, I am also being just as vocal to the manufacture on this subject, albeit with no response. May I politely suggest that any one who has had this problem contacts the manufacture directly to bring pressure to bear with numbers.
[email protected] Or http://www.dji.com/tech-support/report-problem/
Regards to All
kingcat200

Is this issue happening to everyone? I have 7 flights under my belt so far and haven't experienced this problem yet... and am quite surprised by it. Do we know if it's software or hardware related?

I am nervous putting this in the air after reading all of the posts. I too purchased the PV from Dronefly - first batch.

rbarghini said:
Is this issue happening to everyone? I have 7 flights under my belt so far and haven't experienced this problem yet... and am quite surprised by it. Do we know if it's software or hardware related?

I am nervous putting this in the air after reading all of the posts. I too purchased the PV from Dronefly - first batch.

I think it's just a matter of time for everyone. I had five full flights in with no issues of any kind, then It happened. I've since tried two more flights (low and close, obviously). Both ended with invalid battery alarms. Will most likely return for a refund before I lose it?

Update on my end. I emailed both DJI and the Precision Camera as my distributor. I got this response from Precision Camera:

Good morning, Carl!

Unfortunately I've heard this from two others at this time. For those customers, we have put batteries on order and when they come in, we will be exchanging the batteries as defective. Let's see what DJI has to say for your particular case but we can certainly do the same for you. I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this trouble.

Please let me know when you hear something so we can get you up and flying as fast as possible.

Best,

I haven't heard back from DJI yet. These companies can only do so much. I don't know if replacing the batteries will actually solve the issue, but I'm glad that they're at least trying and keeping up the customer service.

I really wish DJI would comment on this. Until then, I think I'm going to ground myself as well... Just to stay on the safe side

Hey.... all of you guys are on time...

Some months ago I read the same scary stories and posts with Phantom V1 and "flyaways" issues. DJI never went serious about users warnings.... until refunds began... then they released some software corrections and replaced a lot of phantoms. Here it is worst... it is a Hardware Issue.... not easy to correct via web page links :eek:

itsmecarl123 said:
FASTFJR said:
itsmecarl123 said:
really wish DJI would comment on this. Until then, I think I'm going to ground myself as well... Just to stay on the safe side

Just like they did on the fly aways? :roll:

Now that they're trying to appeal to a larger demo... I hope so :(

You would hope so but some companies do a good job at shooting themselves in the foot. I had a fly away about two months. I was out in the middle of nowhere, no cell towers, no high voltage, no phone. Took off at a 45 degree angle at full speed 2 minutes after staring and just keep going until it was long out of sight. Anyway I did talk to two different people in Texas and I swear they were both reading off the same cue card. No its impossible, no it can't happen, sorry sir but your Sh!t out of luck.........

I would really like to see the company do well and succeed, I want to buy another but I don't want to be lied to about issues or problems

rbarghini said:

Based only on what I'm reading, this debacle sounds a LOT like the old adage/joke about hard drive crashes. "There are only two kinds of people. Those who have had a hard drive crash, and those who will". If I were you I'd stay grounded until this whole thing sorts itself out. I'm sure DJI is working 24/7 to discover the nature of the problem and fix it. After all, the Christmas / Holiday buying season is HERE, and it is SHORT. To have their flagship product released with such a fatal flaw (whatever its origin) has GOT to have earned the problem their full and undivided attention.

I'm betting they will run it down right quick. Until then, I'd keep my bird indoors and safe if I were you.

PF

Oh well it was wishful thinking, but I wired a std batt connector to the Vision, but the CPU pissed it back out and would not let me use a non-Vision battery pack - It goes right into error mode. The two standard Phantom Batt packs easily fit in the compartment. If it would have worked I would get 20 min or so and be able to use the ton's of batteries I already have.

Sad but we are forbidden from using $20 packs in our own machine - I hear the extra packs are around $170.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4