Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Introducing the LiPo Silo!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rotorhead42, Oct 25, 2013.

1. rotorhead42

I know this will look extreme, but after watching the videos of exploding Lipo batteries damaging cars, homes and RCs, I decided to build a special case with thick glass and individual lipo containers. It`s for 8 batteries, expandable and holds chargers and batteries inside behind a 3/8 thick glass with ventilation. A timer will be added, with a smoke alarm on top near the ceiling.

I will be using around 8-12 batteries for real estate shooting work, just tried gimbal and GPB3 today, perfect in Protune mode ;)

[​IMG]

2. Driffill

This is my creation! Almost finished, not as tidy as I'd like, but I only need to tidy the balance extensions and it'll look 200% better!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Holds/charges 6 batteries, has room to store a lipo safe bag or two, capacity checker etc, easy enough to carry and can run from 12v or 240v AC.

3. rotorhead42

Good to see other pilots handling those batts in a careful way, I plan to add 4 individual chargers in case the multiple goes kaput. :?

4. jimcallear

trying to contain an explosion in an airtight/semi airtight compartment will create a larger more volatile bang and possibly more damage far better to just have a fire blanket folded in half with the batts in the middle

5. fizzviic

Boy, ain't THAT the truth. As a former chemist and rocket propellant engineer, I can attest first hand to the explosive nature and extreme pressures generated in a fire when contained in that manner. Much, much better to smother the flames and jimcallear recommends.

6. rotorhead42

I agree with not doing it airtight, the silo door has a 1/2 inch distance so air always flows in from all sides, plus holes in the bottom. A smoke detector we installed on the wall on top of it will detect any initial smoke and give us time to use a special glove to remove the battery. Chances are we`ll never have a problem because we`ll follow all the proper rules to deal with these batteries, but I`d rather have that silo lost instead of home or office :(

7. Ksc

Ksc

aaaaa. ok. the silo is a good idea. i'm charging them on my glass top coffee table. I figure that the glass is cheap and easy to replace. All other flat surfaces are either granite or marble or wood. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a better charger so I can charge them all at once. I have the habit of forgetting I'm charging them and leaving the house.