Introducing the LiPo Silo!

Reaction score
I know this will look extreme, but after watching the videos of exploding Lipo batteries damaging cars, homes and RCs, I decided to build a special case with thick glass and individual lipo containers. It`s for 8 batteries, expandable and holds chargers and batteries inside behind a 3/8 thick glass with ventilation. A timer will be added, with a smoke alarm on top near the ceiling.

I will be using around 8-12 batteries for real estate shooting work, just tried gimbal and GPB3 today, perfect in Protune mode ;)

case1.jpg

This is my creation! Almost finished, not as tidy as I'd like, but I only need to tidy the balance extensions and it'll look 200% better!

u3a9yhyn.jpg

hebyrana.jpg

yzudatus.jpg

Holds/charges 6 batteries, has room to store a lipo safe bag or two, capacity checker etc, easy enough to carry and can run from 12v or 240v AC.

Good to see other pilots handling those batts in a careful way, I plan to add 4 individual chargers in case the multiple goes kaput. :?

trying to contain an explosion in an airtight/semi airtight compartment will create a larger more volatile bang and possibly more damage far better to just have a fire blanket folded in half with the batts in the middle

jimcallear said:
trying to contain an explosion in an airtight/semi airtight compartment will create a larger more volatile bang and possibly more damage far better to just have a fire blanket folded in half with the batts in the middle

Boy, ain't THAT the truth. As a former chemist and rocket propellant engineer, I can attest first hand to the explosive nature and extreme pressures generated in a fire when contained in that manner. Much, much better to smother the flames and jimcallear recommends.

I agree with not doing it airtight, the silo door has a 1/2 inch distance so air always flows in from all sides, plus holes in the bottom. A smoke detector we installed on the wall on top of it will detect any initial smoke and give us time to use a special glove to remove the battery. Chances are we`ll never have a problem because we`ll follow all the proper rules to deal with these batteries, but I`d rather have that silo lost instead of home or office :(

aaaaa. ok. the silo is a good idea. i'm charging them on my glass top coffee table. I figure that the glass is cheap and easy to replace. All other flat surfaces are either granite or marble or wood. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to get a better charger so I can charge them all at once. I have the habit of forgetting I'm charging them and leaving the house.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik