Introducing the Galaxy S3 FPV

Reaction score
I`m having fun while all the gigs keep arriving, sorry to pester some guys that would rather not do these experiments! even though DJI says Wifi is the culprit to Phantom errors, it only happens when you fly too far from the Tx. The last part coming is the Gopro, 2 more days. Just another curious question, has anyone tried to fly controlling the GP3 using android? here`s my other 1-day set up:

I`m still so new, I need advice on a good FPV and where to buy it, the simplest to use!

A little puzzled on this post/pic?

Are you suggesting you will be disregarding the advice and using the GoPro Wifi App for FPV with that rig?

You are right, DJI say not to use Wifi. This is because it transmits on 2.4ghz... as does the Phantom Transmitter/Reciever. If the Wifi signal from the GoPro is a more powerful signal than that from the TX it 'can' (not will) cause the Phantom to think the GoPro is the TX. If you are lucky it'll glitch. If you are unlucky those signals might translate as 'trottle forward'.... by by birdie, camera and money. Of course if you are getting a Hero3 (not a Hero3+) then Wifi has a 30 second(ish) latency delay so it'd be unusable anyway.
You say it 'only happens when you fly too far from the TX?' but how far is too far? It is an unknown factor and while I sound like a grandad for saying this it is kind of negligent for trying it.

Of course no one can stop you from doing this but why risk all that money and equiptment (and the potential for a Phantom landing on someone) when even the manufacturer advises against it? (DJI currently stand by their own faulty firmware so when they say something can go wrong... its a red flag event!). I'm not against experimenting here and there but if you chose to do so make sure you are in the middle of nowhere to reduce risk. I am sure you are a sensible chap and will have considered that already.

Get yourself an FPV setup like a Fat Shark Predator V2, Dominator or Attitude (the latter are better quality but pricey). All are safe, reliable, have no latency and a 1-2km range with good Cloverleaf antenna setup (I get 1.3km with poorly soldered DIY made antenna).

If you want a monitor solution rather than goggles the Fatshark is still an option as you can plug the screen into the goggles and get best of both worlds.

Where to buy depends on your location so please post this so we can advise (better still add it to your profile).

Hope that didn't come across to grandfather like! If I got the wrong end of the stick please feel free to tell me to shut up ;) I just hate seeing people posting a "so i lost my Phantom today". Even the idea of losing mine terrifys me!

Happy flying.

I ordered an FPV system, it`s on the way. Thanks for the advice, I never fly near people, it scares the sh** out of me. There`s a large farm behind my property, perfect academy ground.

The first problem your going to run into is latency of the video feed. I have a GoPro3+ Black Edition (which has lot less latency than 3 Black Edition) and the latency with it is so high that it would be impossible to fly FPV with it. You can count it in seconds.

rotorhead42 said:
I ordered an FPV system, it`s on the way. Thanks for the advice, I never fly near people, it scares the sh** out of me. There`s a large farm behind my property, perfect academy ground.

Good man... you won't regret it :D what setup did you go for?

Ebay stuff: a $100 transmitter/receiver kit, GP3 video connector, 7-inch field monitor with 3 batteries. I just learned you cant fly FPV or buy it in NY, I was going to buy there but I live in the DR so I`m fine. I bought online instead.

rotorhead42 said:
I just learned you cant fly FPV or buy it in NY, I was going to buy there but I live in the DR so I`m fine. I bought online instead.

Wait...WHAT???? You can't fly FPV in New York (state?) Is that correct????????????????? :evil:

PF

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20