Introducing myself

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to everyone, and what a pleasure it is to join such a knowledgeable community.

Many years ago I used to fly "nitro" RC helicopters (before the days of "heading lock" giros, and all the other stuff that made them easier to fly), but gave up the hobby. Too expensive in terms of crashes, and I'd reached the level I felt comfortable at. A few months ago I happened to see a Parrot AR2, bought one, and had tremendous fun with it, but quickly discovered its limitation (especially the fact that it just blows away in the slightest breath of wind). Wanted something better, and quickly realised that the Phantom was the one to go for.

I contacted "Heliguy" in the UK, where I live (great dealer - highly recommend them!), intending to buy a Vision Plus, but they strongly advised me not to buy one, saying that they've had a 50%+ failure rate on the ones they've sold. So, on their advice, I'm now the proud owner of a Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+, Black Edition, plus a "Thunderbold" video transmitter, Mini IOSD, and 8" FPV monitor. Also a spare battery and a luminous orange hard case to keep everything safe and sound in.

Today I went down to my local park and had a wonderful time flying it. Quite a stiff breeze, but it was absolutely nailed to the spot when I let go of the sticks. I've never flown anything like it, and I'm seriously impressed. Didn't use the FPV monitor for this first flight (I want to go systematically through all the lessons in the DJI pilot traing guide first), but took some great video with the GoPro. Extremely impressed with how still the gimbal holds the camera - in the video I can see the props moving from side to side in the wind, but the scenery is rock solid.

Tremendously impressed with the P2. I'm going to take it slowly and steadily and learn to fly it properly.

That's enough for now,

Just don't get scared by some of the horror stories here :) I think we often get carried away and expect everything we buy to be flawless, but when I look back at the day I first flew the Phantom 2 and as a programmer and electronics guy realize all the data, processes and calculations that are going on in milisecond intervals, I'm still impressed to this day.
It's awesome how people who know nothing about RC find it to be something out of this world and usually say that the Phantom's behavior is "impossible" :)
Welcome to the community.

I agree with Fyod. Most of the posters are friendly and avoid the "your a dumba__" type answers that so often show up on other user groups.

I have the same setup as you described although I have also add Ground Station and could not tell you the name of my transmitter.
Had a fairly bad crash today as a result of not thinking through very carefully the Ground Station flight plan I had made. Straight into a tree with a tumble down through the branches to the ground. Amazingly, no damage other than a cable that came unplugged (at least no damage that I have noticed yet). Pretty tough system overall.
Welcome to the world of the Phantom. This is my second and I have completely enjoyed both.

Hello and welcome,

Also A newbie, nearly 4 wks now. :) and loving it. Never really got into RC stuff before, but the lure of the P2 with a GoPro was too much. :)

"Heliguy" in the UK, where I live" Also highly recommend, great people.

"Phantom 2 with H3-3D gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+, Black Edition, plus a "Thunderbold" video transmitter, Mini IOSD, and 8" FPV monitor. Also a spare battery and a luminous orange hard case to keep everything safe and sound in."

Nearly the same as mine, though Boscam TS351 transmitter with a H3-2D gimbal, still having great fun and although I say it myself making some headway into editing GoPro films on their software, really enjoy it.

"Tremendously impressed with the P2. I'm going to take it slowly and steadily and learn to fly it properly."
This IS the only way, watch youtube, people like Simon Newton and MicBergsma make really good utube vids and make sense, remember to calibrate, update, get home lock, watch for the K index (there is an app), VRS (Vortex Ring State), etc etc and just enjoy.

Safe flying, cheers Mark

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

I think my previous experience with RC copters will be beneficial, in that I already know some of the things to do and not to do (eg being "decisive" with take-offs and landings, and the dangers of hovering in your own "ground effect").

Glad I put prop guards on my Phantom, though, because there were a couple of occasions that I made what I thought was a smooth landing, but it tipped over on touchdown. Any tips for avoiding that?

Hi - I'm a Phantom 2 owner with 3D Gimbal, Gopro and FPV monitor with 8 times more Phantom flying experience than you (assuming today was your first flight!) ;)

I too am stunned by the gimbal, not that the Phantom isn't a marvel, but without the gimbal video would not have the impact it does with the rock steady performance.

Some advice with landings (please remember I have flown only 8 times). Be assertive - find a decent flat bit of grass, come in low and slow to about a foot, let it stabilize and then lower fairly swiftly when it is still and over a nice flat landing zone. So far I've not had a tip over and I have no prop guards. Lucky or my approach is working.

Keep posting - there seem to be loads of newcomers posting and alot of their questions answered by the more experienced help us all out. ;)

Today was actually my second flight. The first was a very short flight in my back garden. I accidentally lifted off in ATTI mode (hadn't read the manual!) and the Phantom started drifting towards the house wall. I tried to bat it away and discovered that:

1. Propellers are very sharp.
2. At least it's easy to wipe blood off the Phantom.

;)

After that I decided to wait until I could visit the local park, which I did today.

HarryT said:

I think my previous experience with RC copters will be beneficial, in that I already know some of the things to do and not to do (eg being "decisive" with take-offs and landings, and the dangers of hovering in your own "ground effect").

Glad I put prop guards on my Phantom, though, because there were a couple of occasions that I made what I thought was a smooth landing, but it tipped over on touchdown. Any tips for avoiding that?

The landing gear is very narrow and will often tip over after touch down. I never really land it anymore, I just hover it above my head and grab it with one hand and shutdown with the other hand holding the TX against my body.

HarryT said:

I don't often fly with a strong wind but I have never had a tip over.

You mentioned being decisive and such... commit to a landing; descend at constant, deliberate rate until a few inches above the ground then push left stick all the way down.

Have you seen the a/c auto-land?

It's bouncy and sloppy by comparison.

Hand landing/catching is also popular with some though I have never needed to.
Not to mention you've already been 'bit' once.

Ok then, I have 4 times more Phantom flying experience than you, and it would seem several more fingers! I can only imagine your stomach dropping horror seeing it moving to the wall..... I'm getting more confident by the flight - just have to be careful confidence doesn't overtake skill level.

Hope you weren't too injured, at least your stick controlling thumbs!

It just caught the side of my thumb, and made four nice tidy incisions, a couple of mm apart. Lots of blood, but no real damage. I've learnt my lesson - don't touch the top of the Phantom while it's flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair