Intro and question regarding camera

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, I am Rene from the Netherlands, western Europe. Age 55, used to work for Hewleet-Packard for 14 years so my English is not too bad.... :)

Just recently purchased a DJI P4, which I realy enjoy, because of the comprehensive possibilities.

But.....

I am not sure weather my camera is working in good order.
When I sent the P4 up in the air, and start filming in the highest pixel mode, and start to rotate to get a view of the surroundings, the footage seems to do like 4 frames per second or so. Sometimes just one frame per second or even worse. It's nog constant, the FPS rate varies during filming.

First I thought it would be a (slow) memory issue, so I bought a fast memory card to sort this out. It did not help.

I have had this problem from the start, and was wondering what could be the cause if it.

I am currently uploading some footage to youtube, which I will share later.

Can anybody help me out?

Cheers, Rene

Is the choppiness just on your device as you are watching or is the choppiness on your video from the sd card as well? msinger (member here) has great instructions on how to set up your device for most efficiency using the Phantom. For starters, enter the HD settings and change from Auto to Custom and turn down the bitrate from 10 to 4mbps. If the choppiness is on the video on your sd card is your computer sufficient to play the 4k footage?

Is the choppiness just on your device as you are watching or is the choppiness on your video from the sd card as well? msinger (member here) has great instructions on how to set up your device for most efficiency using the Phantom. For starters, enter the HD settings and change from Auto to Custom and turn down the bitrate from 10 to 4mbps. If the choppiness is on the video on your sd card is your computer sufficient to play the 4k footage?

Hi, I am not sure in which menu to find the bit-rate option. It is probably hidden somewhere....

The choppyness is on my computer screen. It's a mid range HP laptop, half a year old or so.

What I have just done is put up the drone and started filming in 1280*720 24 fps. It shows much better on my screen here!

I will ask my daughter to bring the HD footage to het work, and test it on an Apple they have there for image processing.

In the mean time any suggestions are apreciated.

My daughter just sent me an App saying it all works fine (ultra HD) on a high performance computer.

So there is no defect here. Thanks for the support, I will probably be here more often. :)

I found exactly the same thing. Significantly, I also found that on the same computer, some video player apps would be relatively smooth, while others would litetally be horrific, and unusable. That is good information because if you pick a bad one you might just give up.

Keep in mind that with a display that doesn't support 4K video, and most computer monitors don't, displaying 4K content involves down converting the 4K to the native resolution of the monitor (1080p (say)). On a laptop I have that has a display resolution in between 1080p and the full 4K resolution, I get a slightly sharper image shooting at 4K resolution. It's pretty smooth with the right video player app, but 1080p shot at 60Hz is smoother, which can be more pleasing than a sharper jerkier image. Also remember the inherent 24Hz "jerkiness" will be aggrevated by the high shutter speeds you'll encounter on sunny days. The rule of thumb is a shutter speed of double your frame rate. This way, during rapid movement, there is eye pleasing blurring going on. It looks natural. At 24Hz, and a 1/500 shutter speed, the 24Hz can become quite noticeable. A neutral density filter to reduce the incoming light to let you slow the shutter rate will vastly improve the 24Hz motion effects. After all, 24Hz is used for movies, and it works great. People like the look, to the point where something shot at 60Hz looks "TV Like". LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Note that my previous post mixed two issues. 1) Having a computer and video player app that can handle the 4K data rates, and 2) Given that the computer display side of things is OK, what problems can be encountered with a 24Hz video frame update rate in general, which shutter speed is the main culprit.

I didn't want it to be confusing, by mixing subjects.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi phantom1972, thanks for your back-up.

I find it strange that when I search the internet, I find nothing about this issue. Well, its not really an issue, but I think all owners should be aware of this.

Anyway, this threat prevented me from buying a new gimball. I will shoot footage in a lower resolution in the future, maybe buy a fast videocard in my desktop PC the coming few weeks.

Just to add.... I have two computers. One has an older 4 core AMD processor and the other has a newer Intel i7. The old AMD stutters and shows the odd vertical line tearing through the video. The i7 is smooth as glass.

Just to add.... I have two computers. One has an older 4 core AMD processor and the other has a newer Intel i7. The old AMD stutters and shows the odd vertical line tearing through the video. The i7 is smooth as glass.

Just flew my P4 for the first time and got horrid choppy video. Read the previous thread advice, but cannot change the HD setting from Auto to Manual! Am I doing something wrong?

Just shoot in 1080. More often than not it is your computer that cannot handle the 4 K resolution.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hy René i k ben ook Nederlander maar wo on in switzerland :) gebruik je den Tablett met wifi optie ? Ik hat dat probleem omdat ik met een wifi aanloost probeer het met de simkaart direct in het Tablet of neem een klijner scherm. toen ik m later direct op de telefoon sloot liep het percect vergeet niet dat je een 4k beeldscherm nodig hebt om 4k te kennen kijken 1180 pixel is niet 4k heb ik gemerkt ik hoop dat ik je kon helpen vliegze :)

Also bare in mine when playing back or encoding.. 50hz or 60hz time scales.. if your recording in ntsc is 60hz and your using 50hz mains.
So i take it the laptop is in 50hz, not sure what comes from the batt though ;)

PAL 50hz as I am in the UK. Is that correct? When I tap HD I cannot selectCustom. Am I missing a step? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers