Interpolation on waypoint mode - Litchi

Reaction score
Question on interpolation using the Litchi waypoint mode. Lets say the first waypoint looking at POI 1 has a -56 degrees and at the second waypoint you still want to face the first POI, and lets say Litchi shows -23 degrees. My question is, do you hit the interpolate on the first AND the second waypoint or just the second? I'm flying a P3 Standard. Thanks anyone who might know the answer!

Set interpolate on both, read page 23 in the manual.

If you are tracking a poi, Set gimbal pitch mode in mission settings (page 21) to interpolate and in waypoint settings set to focus poi.

Reactions: Loz
I have a similar question. I'm trying to fly a mission where it strictly ascends and the camera stays focused on a person. Neither setting is giving more a smooth transition on the gimbal tilt. Any ideas?

Set two waypoints at the starting and ending altitude. Place a POI on the person. Set the gimbal in both waypoints for Focus POI.

This assumes, of course, the person isn't moving. If they are, then you can't do this with a waypoint mission... you have to use the track mode.

I have that. I also have tried creating waypoints are a few different heights so the gimbal will stay in a constant tilt, but it seems to be very glitchy. The "follow" or "track" option works good with a consistent tilt but I have to control it to ascend.

I thought when creating the mission you had to (for each waypoint) tap focus poi and then interpolate. Repeat for each waypoint. The first tap calculates the angle. The second sets it to interpolate. Then leave it like that.

If you change the location or height of any waypoint or poi you need to repeat so the new gimbal angle is calculated.

Hmmm... that's not how I've used it, or seen it behave.

When I have a POI and I want to keep it framed, I simply set the waypoint gimbal setting to "Focus POI". This is for several waypoints all looking at the same POI.

Then, If I make any changes at all (move the POI around, change its altitude, same for any waypoint) the heading and gimbal angles are automatically updated. In other words, once I've set a waypoint to "Focus POI" I can forget about it, make any other changes to the mission I want to, and it all just works.

Also, I do get smooth gimbal interpretation from one waypoint to the next when set to Focus POI.

OP -- check the altitude of the POI you're pointing at -- forgetting to check and set this is often the cause of puzzling wrong gimbal angles when focusing on a POI.

My only question then is why would there be an interpolation button? I guess that was my original question on the "how".

Reactions: bsartist
The interpolation setting is for when you are not focusing on a POI (there isn't even one placed), but you set the gimbal angle directly for the waypoint, and want it to smoothly change from one angle to the next.

Basically, "Focus POI" is interpolate with the gimbal angle automatically set for you based on the geometry of the vector from the aircraft to the POI.

The interpolation setting is for when you are not focusing on a POI (there isn't even one placed), but you set the gimbal angle directly for the waypoint, and want it to smoothly change from one angle to the next.

Basically, "Focus POI" is interpolate with the gimbal angle automatically set for you based on the geometry of the vector from the aircraft to the POI.
Wow thank you. I can't believe I got this wrong. I reread the manual with your comment in mind and now it makes sense. But wasn't that clear to me before. This could be an improvement in one of my missions.

interpolate gradually changes the gimball on the way from 1 way-point to the next. If you do not hit interpolate, the bird will fly from 1 way-point to the next and as soon as it hits that way-point, will change the gimbal to the next POI very abruptly. then fly that way untill you change the POI again

I have set POI's and put them in a waypoint but disable the gimbal pitch. The Drone still points to the waypoint but makes a much smoother run. Try it.

interpolate gradually changes the gimball on the way from 1 way-point to the next. If you do not hit interpolate, the bird will fly from 1 way-point to the next and as soon as it hits that way-point, will change the gimbal to the next POI very abruptly. then fly that way untill you change the POI again
That's what I thought. But not what dwallersv says. I think a rereading of the manual convinced me he was right. I am planning on testing this out. Or I might email Litchi

I have set POI's and put them in a waypoint but disable the gimbal pitch. The Drone still points to the waypoint but makes a much smoother run. Try it.
Does it also adjust the gimbal angle to point at the poi?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20