Internet

Going with the "free wifi":
When you go to some locations with guest Wi-Fi, they have a WiFi signal not needing a paraphrase. You connect to the Wi-Fi but when you browse, you don't get the site you expect but the location's own webpage with an option to agree to their terms of use.
At this point you have Wi-Fi and can navigate around that site's page but no internet. This is how a Standard works. You have a WiFi connection and can navigate around the AC's settings and features but no internet.
Now some mobile devices can let you use your cellular data for internet when the connected Wi-Fi isn't actually providing internet. Some however cannot use cellular data while Wi-Fi is connected.

I have always just assumed that many people (drone pilot or not) confuse "wifi" and "internet" simply because for many years the term "wifi" has been used in such a way that it has become synonymous with internet access. Most people use "wifi" to describe their home internet connection and even when traveling we look for "free wifi" since it almost always means internet access. Now take that background and apply it to a new drone pilot who is perhaps technology challenged and perhaps nervous about so many new drone related terms or messing something up and crashing. I can see how something as simple as the difference between "wifi" and "internet" could be confused at first for someone in that situation.

My personal favorite however is when people insist that GPS satellites download map data from the internet to their mobile devices. :)

You are a very patient man. A better man than me

Reactions: Oso
You mean I can't order a pizza from my Phantom? Dang.

P.S. My wife is confused on whole Wifi vs. Internet thing too. She'll tell me "The Wifi isn't working..... It says I'm connected to (our home SSID), but I can't load any pages or do anything." I then say... "So, the WiFi is working?" Then she says "No... weren't you listening?" LOL.

Some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near technology ........:)
So I used to be a corporate trainer for phone operators and I would conduct a two week class with about forty operators in each class. One day we're working on the computers and i'm at the front of the class. As i'm directing them where to go on the screen and click here or click there, one lady in the back raises her hand...."It's not doing what you're saying, i'm trying to click on it but it won't work".
I walk over to her and say ok, try clicking on this (I point to a link on the screen).....with the mouse in her right hand, she raises the mouse in the air trying to point it towards the link, she's moving the MOUSE AROUND IN THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!! I take a breath and try not to bust out laughing. I tell her, you need to put the mouse on the mouse pad and move it around that way then click.
I don't know who tested this women before she git hired but I let her go later that day......"Some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near technology " - Philltayl
:dizzy:

Reactions: Philltayl
My favorite technical call is that they have no internet. Uh, I can remotely see you online so you DO have internet. What you don't have is working DNS so probably what you are really saying is that you can't browse websites on the internet.

Reactions: Wolphman007
My favorite technical call is that they have no internet. Uh, I can remotely see you online so you DO have internet. What you don't have is working DNS so probably what you are really saying is that you can't browse websites on the internet.

Haha omg, I hate getting that call!!! I'm an IT manager also and absolutely hate when a user calls and says " My computer is broker". I'm like, so it doesn't turn on, you can't see anything, quickbooks obviously doesn't come up, right? Oh, no, that all works fine, it's just the internet...."
Ugh, someone kill me!! haha I mean, it's like DRIVING up to the mechanic get out of the car with him standing there watching you drive up then I say, "My car isn't working"......

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj