Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

internet not working with DJI wifi

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by jonnyvermont, Sep 15, 2014.

1. jonnyvermont

I just had my madden flight. Wow... what a machine. I am impressed.

When I tried to use GS, I had no internet. I had three bars from AT&T 3G, and I was connected to the phantom via wifi. But there were no maps.

Am I missing something? Which started me wondering.... what if you want to to a GS where there is no cell service. Can you download the maps beforehand?

Thanks!

JonnyVermont

2. dpdpkpcom

Run DJI vision BEFORE you go out in the field. It will cache the maps. Obviously you'll have to navigate the map interface to the location where you'll be flying, but you'll be good to go.

Hth

3. DBS

DBS

Actually if you had 3 bars on your AT&T ... all you needed to do was turn off your WiFi for a few minutes ... disconnect from the Phantom... and zoom in on the waypoint map... scroll around on the map and cover the area you want to fly... it will cache the map and still be there for you when you return to the Phantom WiFi connection :ugeek:

4. jonnyvermont

Why does my cellular connection not work when I am connected to the phantom?

5. DBS

DBS

Same as when you are at home... and it's not your cellular connection... it's your data

Mobile devices only use one radio for data... if the WiFi is connected ... it doesn't use the carrier connection any more... your cell connection is still active for texts and phone calls but all data will be routed thru the WiFi radio...

If it were to use both radios at the same time then you would always be racking up data on your mobile bill... not good...

My question would be ... "why would you think your 3G could be active when your WiFi is on and connected"? ... that just wouldn't make sense... it has never been that way since smartphones hit the market.

6. smokiespliff

I always wondered about this as I recall a DJI marketing dude giving an interview about it saying that "you can upload pictures to instagram while it's still flying in the air". He never said you have to disconnect the wifi and FPV beforehand...