International travel

Reaction score
I am a film producer and am planning to travel from Canada to Scotland soon to shoot some background material for a film I am doing about a lighthouse. I wanted to take my phantom 1/GoPro combination with me. Has anyone had any issues with transporting these copters on the airlines?

I met a guy in Colorado, at the airport, who reported that he has flow several times and always carries it on. However, You have to put the lipo batteries in your checked bag.

My goprofessional case is a few inches bigger the United airlines allows for carry ons but I am flying with it on Friday. I will let you know how it goes.

I traveled with my phantom as a carry on. But you do have to take your batteries as carry on not checked. Lipos need to be packed safely and stowed in a fireproof bag preferably. It's because if your batteries catch fire it would be easier and faster to detect. TSA won't give you any problems.

Thanks guys. Looks like we're good to go. The battery is not essentially different from what you have in a laptop so I guess it is best to carry them on board.

I am sitting at the beach getting breakfast in sunny Cabarete Dominican Republic. (aerial kitesurfing footage to follow later in the week)

I didn’t have any problems getting my Quad Goprofessional case onto the plane. I thought it was going to be too big for the overhead compartment but the majority of people had larger carry-on luggage then I did.

After the case went through security they pulled it aside and had me open it. They asked me about it while they swiped it, more out of curiosity they out of suspicion.

I attached 2 images that show how much room I had in the overhead compartment.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 553
  • photo 2 copy.jpg
    photo 2 copy.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 500
I fly weekly to Mexico with my full setup, and have converged on the following:
[*] With about $3,000 in the case, I have decided to carry on, and check my roller back with clothes, etc.
[*] Couldn't get comfort from Alaska that in a loss of checked bag, or pilfering of contents by airline personnel, that my coverage was anywhere near the $3,000 value
[*] Got tired of no wheels, so I bought a Design Go plastic luggage cart ($27 USD). Maiden voyage next week.
[*] GoProfessional case fits easily overhead on every commercial aircraft to date, principally Alaska's 737s.
[*] Used to get "special attention" from TSA, but that seems to be waning. Fewer inquiries of late.
[*] Mexico's SAT (import police) pulled me in to their office once for import charges. I paid $20 for import duties on professional equipment, got a receipt, keep receipt in travel case, and have flashed it since first payment, avoiding subsequent charges. SAT personnel smiled that I knew the system (thanks to my Cabo attorney).
[*] No experience with other countries security or import personnel, but I wouldn't hesitate to carry-on most anywhere in the world.
[*] Wasn't aware that LiPo's are an airline no-no. Is that true?
[*] Statement of the Obvious: I always recalibrate compass on the other end.

Kelly

Two other details I forgot on last post:
[*] I have a bunch of small zip ties in the GoProfessional case, so that if I need to check it, I zip tie the thing shut to discourage unwanted opening by baggage handlers, or accidental opening due to rough handling.
[*] I have learned the hard way to remember to pull screw drivers, utility knife, allen driver from the GoProfessional case, and put them in my roller bag that I am checking. Have donated multiple tool sets to TSA in US and Mexico. :(

Kelly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4