Internal Server Errors

Seems not much is being done by the new mods but locking threads instead of making some stickys with the info for new flyers that is why the same questions are asked over and over . The worst part is some folks have took the time and made threads on step by step and how too's but they are to hard to find so people ask . I gess being a mod here is so they can fill important having their name in red . Then when someone new is looking for help they get flamed and no answer or no links are provided this site has tons of info . When I first joined I got no help took me weeks to find answers witch where among many different threads not just one . I am a mod on a jeep forum nothing but people just trying to help come here and new people move to another site . People will join to help with cost make a donation to have a solid host . Sponsors will pay to help cost too .

I simply do not believe these new mods have the freedom to act. I reckon Adam has them shackled.

There are some good guys in this new mod set up. I am certain they would update us- if allowed.

discv said:
I simply do not believe these new mods have the freedom to act. I reckon Adam has them shackled.

There are some good guys in this new mod set up. I am certain they would update us- if allowed.

How about maybe if they know anything? Most moderators on forums (I run three as an admin) are not privy to the technical workings of a website as typically the admins are the ones that own, run and pay for the hosting service and therefore they are the ones that get the outage notices.

I just don't see how an admin could 'shackle' a mod.

The site behavior has improved since a while (for me at least) and experience almost no errors anymore.

Looks the team is working hard and succeeded fixing most of the problem.

I also noticed the template/theme has changed, even though it first loads the good old "real" Phantompilots template it then reverts and displays the "modestus" template... Is that normal behavior ?

If the mods stay quiet then it's time to create a new forum with the right tool since some of you guys have experience in the field
I think donation/subscription are fair.
I should pay since i consider as a leech: I ask and ask but never contribute since I am a newbie!!

xavpil said:
If the mods stay quiet then it's time to create a new forum with the right tool since some of you guys have experience in the field
I should pay since i consider as a leech: I ask and ask but never contribute since I am a newbie!!

The mods may stay quiet because they don't know anything. I'd rather them stay quiet then speculate and then fan the flames of rumor.

Silence has never been a successful way to handle any type of crisis, even little one.
They should say "hey guys sorry about that. We're doing our best. And as a reminder we're doing this for free so be patient

I'm sure the phantompilots.com team is working hard on the issue, give them some time to fix (looks like it's almost fixed).

:idea: And first of all THANK them for their work on this forum !

xavpil said:
Silence has never been a successful way to handle any type of crisis, even little one.
They should say "hey guys sorry about that. We're doing our best. And as a reminder we're doing this for free so be patient

Instead they choose the DJI model, and say nothing!

jaykay2PT said:
xavpil said:

Instead they choose the DJI model, and say nothing!

It should be obvious when things return to 'normal'.

Why must we be told anything?

[/quote] Instead they choose the DJI model, and say nothing![/quote]
didn't get the joke... :roll:

ianwood said:
Most importantly, you can't leave us in the dark. We need to know today what is being considered.

We pay nothing for this site. It is paid for and maintained by site owner and it exists simply because he took the time and money to make it so. As far as I can tell, he owes me, or anybody else, nothing.

WE owe him a lot and I thank him for making this site possible. I'd feel differently if this was a paid membership site, but it is not. This is also not an unheard of issue. RCUniverse, one of the largest RC oriented forums on the web, suffered similar issues. We, as visitors/users can only ride it out while they fix any issues which I am sure they are already painfully aware of.

Which is why I've offered to pay for at least a month's hosting. I am invested in this site and I want to see it working properly. I appreciate all that has been done to make it work. When there are technical issues, we can all work together to fix them. There's plenty of people here who can help. Communication is the first step. Leaving people in the dark is never a good policy.

BigTulsa said:
xavpil said:

The mods may stay quiet because they don't know anything. I'd rather them stay quiet then speculate and then fan the flames of rumor.

Guys, we (the mods) are not site admins, and we don't have any say in the infrastructure or how the site runs; we're volunteering time to manage and organize content on the site to make things easier and more accessible/enjoyable to users. And unless Adam asks us to manage information flow/news for certain topics, we're not in any more of a position of knowledge than you are re. hosting plans, upgrades, diagnostics etc. We understand and share your frustration (the errors are hitting us too, we're not on some super-mod internet fast lane), but please realize that there's really very little we can do that we haven't already done. All we know is what's already been stated here--the site instability issues are clearly a known problem, and Adam is working on fixing them (this includes options for upgrading and relocating servers).

Stealth edit: We've added a global announcement thread here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17679 which will be updated as we have more information, and when the issue is resolved. Thanks everyone for voicing your support, concerns and constructive criticism, we're hoping this gets fixed shortly!

[/quote]
Guys, we (the mods) are not site admins, and we don't have any say in the infrastructure or how the site runs; we're volunteering time [/quote]

You guys are great and I thank you for your time.

Hey guys, thanks for hanging in here while I get the errors fixed. We will be on a dedicated server by late next week.

xavpil said:
You guys are great and I thank you for your time.

+1

By the way, wouldn't it be great to have a "+1" or "like" or "phantom icon green\red' button next to reply,
so less micro replies in topics ?
Cheers

Good news everybody!

Adam has updated the status: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17679#p163029

Entire text of update below:
SERVER MOVE IS HAPPENING SATURDAY Morning between 9 am and noon central time on JUNE 14th (USA time). Take some time off from Phantom Pilots! Not sure how long the outage will last but I will post here when we are back up and running on the new system!

From the server admin who will be handling the move regarding downtime:

Regarding downtime: "Around 15-20 minutes. It might even be less than that. But since the changes might take a while to propagate around the world, there is a possibility that some users might see the site at the old server for around 24 hours. This is due to their local misconfigured DNS server that caches older records for times longer than required. This cannot be worked around in any way, but for the average user, the downtime will not be more than 15-20 minutes."

If all goes according to plan, the site should be back up, and better than ever by the time everyone's back from their morning flights. Fingers crossed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.