Intermittent Loss of Signal above 500 ft

Reaction score
I'm not sure why I'm having an issue, although not a serious issue, with Loss of Signal happening every now and then between 500ft and 1100ft in altitude (the highest I've been). I do have the Booster App. It doesn't seem to be an issue with horizontal distance, just altitude. I've also been keeping the top of the Wi-Fi booster on the transmitter about level with the ground, or 0 degrees when I'm flying and the antenna at a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if that could be it. Every time LOS has occurred, I let the aircraft start to come home then take back over once she gets below or around 500 ft. Thanks in advance.

J.

JWarren said:
I'm not sure why I'm having an issue, although not a serious issue, with Loss of Signal happening every now and then between 500ft and 1100ft in altitude (the highest I've been). I do have the Booster App. It doesn't seem to be an issue with horizontal distance, just altitude. I've also been keeping the top of the Wi-Fi booster on the transmitter about level with the ground, or 0 degrees when I'm flying and the antenna at a 90 degree angle. I'm not sure if that could be it. Every time LOS has occurred, I let the aircraft start to come home then take back over once she gets below or around 500 ft. Thanks in advance.

J.

Assuming when you say the "top of the wifi booster" you mean the face of the wifi repeater. I think you should be pointing the face of the repeater towards the aircraft at all times for best wifi TX/RX. When you have the 5.8GHz controller antenna at 90 deg to the controller front, that is ideal also as long as you point the antenna side of the controller (front) toward the aircraft. The booster app has no effect on the controller signal.

I think your issue from what you describe is the orientation of your controller in your hands. Have the antenna pointing straight up (not out, but up). Then point the front of the controller (the front being where the antenna is on the controller) towards the aircraft at all times. If you have the front face of the extender also facing out, then you will also get best wifi tx/rx as you point towards the aircraft.

Thank you BlackTracer. So point the Wi-Fi booster's flat top, or "roof" outwards towards the aircraft? That sure could be the problem because I'd actually been mostly flying it angled towards me. Thanks again,

J.

JWarren said:
Thank you BlackTracer. So point the Wi-Fi booster's flat top, or "roof" outwards towards the aircraft? That sure could be the problem because I'd actually been mostly flying it angled towards me. Thanks again,

Yes. The Wi-Fi Extender is directional and the flat surface should point at the Phantom.

The Wifi extender has directional antenna.

The remote control has an omnidirectional antenna.

The directional antenna should point directly at the quad with pretty good aim. I don't know what the angle of broadcast is.

The omnidirectional antenna, you want to avoid pointing the null signal area (with is where the TIP is pointing) directed at the quad. The signal is emitted out the SIDE of the antenna with null space at tip/top of the antenna.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan