Intermittent front right motor?

Ant

Reaction score
Hi All,

Was flying my DJI P2 as normal, then landed it.

After re-set and starting it up again, the front right motor does not seem to spin the same as the other 3, it spins intermittently on idle.

This obviously makes it un-flyable, does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Ant

I have noticed slight differences in idle rpms on my a/c since day 1. In my case this in no way has ever made it 'un-flyable'.

I'm not saying there can't be cases where there are some other real underlying issues but I think way too much attention is put on this idling observation.

Absent any other factor(s) such as excessive heat, friction, FM, noise, vibration, etc. from a motor... If the a/c is able to maintain attitude then there is nothing wrong with the motor.

Its just a difference born of manufacturing [tolerances].

Ant said:
Hi All,

After re-set and starting it up again, the front right motor does not seem to spin the same as the other 3, it spins intermittently on idle.

This obviously makes it un-flyable, does anyone know what the problem is and how to solve it?

Thanks,

Ant
Can you elaborate please and let us know if it has any other symptoms as described in the previous post. When you say intermittently do you mean it stops and starts? Or just variable in speed. Variable a little in speed is OK.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

IrishSights said:
Ant said:
Hi All,

Thanks,

Ant
Can you elaborate please and let us know if it has any other symptoms as described in the previous post. When you say intermittently do you mean it stops and starts? Or just variable in speed. Variable a little in speed is OK.

Good point.

Don't mean to be dismissive.

Mine was doing the same thing after 4-5 flights. After reading that it could be a ESC or a motor and I had gotten it through Amazon with a 30 day exchange and instead of messing with it, I just sent it back for a new one. So far the second one is not having problems. Video of what it was doing.

[youtube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3uDRzB3neJc[/youtube]

UrAwFuL said:
Did you happen to reuse the long screw after you took out the prop-guards?

Nope, already knew about the issue. After 4-5 flights, on the next flight I did CSC to start the motors and it was doing this.

Thanks for your replies.

Yeah the video you posted, that is exactly what mine is doing!!!

Unfortunately I'm out of my guarantee!! So what would you suggest, changing motor or ESC?

Mine was doing same brand new outr the box. I sent it back. Unfortunately thats all I can tell. Supplier gave me a new one, problem solved. Sorry.

My right front motor has just developed this problem. I probably have around 40+ flights on the P2 and it had been fine until just recently. I just noticed it on the last flight, during start up. It settled down after about 20 secs at idle. I chanced it and took off for a flight. Everything was fine and I flew 2 batteries that day. Since then though, I became concerned and have done some 'ground testing'. It's still stuttering and I thought once I observed the prop actually rise up and then sit back down, while it was idling. I've ordered a new motor and am awaiting arrival. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll replace the ESC and see if that's the problem. Haven't been able to definitely find anything that makes me believe it is the motor or the ESC. So, it's swap out time with replacements, until I find the answer.

JDN said:
My right front motor has just developed this problem. I probably have around 40+ flights on the P2 and it had been fine until just recently. I just noticed it on the last flight, during start up. It settled down after about 20 secs at idle. I chanced it and took off for a flight. Everything was fine and I flew 2 batteries that day. Since then though, I became concerned and have done some 'ground testing'. It's still stuttering and I thought once I observed the prop actually rise up and then sit back down, while it was idling. I've ordered a new motor and am awaiting arrival. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll replace the ESC and see if that's the problem. Haven't been able to definitely find anything that makes me believe it is the motor or the ESC. So, it's swap out time with replacements, until I find the answer.

You have any update on this? Did you get your problem solved?

No updates, as of now. The motor has 'smoothed out' from its initial stuttering and I haven't swapped out anything yet, since I'm not noticing any more stutter in the motor. I am suspicious of it, though, and keep an eye on the motor at each flight's startup. So far, so good. I guess I'll go until my luck runs out! :)

the front left motor of my P 2 is doing the same thing, ever since I got it. when idling before take off. It does it every other time. Doesn't seem to do it in flight but I am a bit worried. Should I replace the ESC?

JDN said:

No updates, as of now. The motor has 'smoothed out' from its initial stuttering and I haven't swapped out anything yet, since I'm not noticing any more stutter in the motor. I am suspicious of it, though, and keep an eye on the motor at each flight's startup. So far, so good. I guess I'll go until my luck runs out! :)
Thanks for the feedback.

Have you done firmware updates or IMU calibrations or anything that could have made an improvement or did the problem just go away?

If it's intermitted you will never know if the problem is 'gone', unless you measure everything.
I changed firmware every other day because I needed to install a gimbal (switched between 1.08 and 3.06) so my firmware is reflashed dozens of times. But my left front motor keeps stopping every once in a while.

I think I call my dealer and see what he has to say about it.

All I mean is, just because it doesn't do it anymore, how can you be sure the problem is gone? We have an obligation to keep our quads as safe as possible. After all, a quad are still flying lawn mower when it ends up in someones (or worse, some little kids) face. Knowing that one of my motors could just stop is giving me the creeps. I noticed that sometimes when hovering, it pitches with a smack up and down, a few times in a row, very fast. I can see on the footage sometimes that all of a sudden, for no reason at all (wind still), during a quite hovering, the front arms smack into view quite fast. Didn't really thought much of it until I stumbled onto this thread. I'm beginning to believe my motor is sometimes stopping a fraction of a second as well in mid air, while hovering. Got the footage to proof it. Also the startup hick ups, clearly noticeable in the footage. You hear a click when the motor stops.

+1 That happened to me a while back. I replaced motor and the ESC. Not hard to do or hard on the pocket.

I have a slightly similar matter with one of my new E300 motors. Not that its intermittent, but it is "tighter" than the other three in that it stops spinning faster than the others. It also turns less rounds when spun by hand. I know I've read about this here with OEM motors.
Anything to worry about? I have two extra motors, so not really an issue. Just wondering if I should take any action or expect it to "loosen up" over time.

Mine did that once and I pushed the envelope until it tanked in. I wish I would have taken the warning and replaced the ESC - before creating problems with the camera on the final crash. An ounce of prevention is worth .......................

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20