Interim Order No. 8, Canada

Reaction score
I view the recent "Interim Order No. 8" (June 27) to be a direct insult to those of us who have taken the time to contact the Minister of Transport with honesty in the expression of our concerns. I am not sure if I detect direct MAAC influence, but it would appear that our concerns have fallen on deaf ears and that "Interim Order No. 8" has tighten the regulations. "Interim Order No. 8" not only ignores our concerns, but also the global safety record of this activity.

The Minister of Transport and "Interim Order No. 8" treats us like children, even to the point where we have to put our name, address and telephone number on the AC. Our interest in this activity is multi spectral, and does not even come close to the interests of MAAC. We are mature, law respecting individuals with common sense, with the flight experience to operate safely and appropriately under all circumstances.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I view the recent "Interim Order No. 8" (June 27) to be a direct insult to those of us who have taken the time to contact the Minister of Transport with honesty in the expression of our concerns. I am not sure if I detect direct MAAC influence, but it would appear that our concerns have fallen on deaf ears and that "Interim Order No. 8" has tighten the regulations. "Interim Order No. 8" not only ignores our concerns, but also the global safety record of this activity.

The Minister of Transport and "Interim Order No. 8" treats us like children, even to the point where we have to put our name, address and telephone number on the AC. Our interest in this activity is multi spectral, and does not even come close to the interests of MAAC. We are mature, law respecting individuals with common sense, with the flight experience to operate safely and appropriately under all circumstances.

MAAC have screwed us good. There is no doubt. But I don't think it's because they see drones as a threat to their existence but because they believe their rules can fit drone use and activity. And that is the essence of the nonsense. MAAC rules are based on pilot-in-the loop and our drones are not pilot-in-the-loop. Let go of our controls and the drone hovers (or follows its programmed path). Do that with a traditional RC plane and tell me how your day ends ... (that is the basis of MAAC rules).

The rules that came out yesterday have greatly increased the area that I can fly in. So I'm happy about that.

The 1 Kg - 35 Kg rule is about as silly as can be. The lower threshold should have been 10 Kg in my opinion. (This impacts at least 2 places I fly out of).

I don't care about the labeling rule. In fact I'm for it. If some idiot crashes into something and deserves to be sued or criminally charged, then I'm all for it since he is damaging the reputation of the activity for everyone.

Note that in Germany you would have to have a fireproof label and carry liability insurance for even recreational use.

At least the rules are trending in a good direction.

I am glad that they moved a little. MAAC is really just another political organization looking to maintain their power. Nothing wrong with that as long as you are on their side of the fence. They do a great job of supporting their core members and their old school ways.

Unfortunately for us (the "drone" community - I know - I hate that term) other than the fact that our devices fly, we have nothing in common with them. It's like the difference between a dragster and a formula 1 car. They both go fast but that's it.

To me, model aircraft were/are designed for people interested in aviation. Drones are designed for people who aren't interested in aviation generally. The physical hardware is a platform for other purposes whether it is photography, fishing, geography, sightseeing or just buzzing around the back yard.

I have no interest in spending years learning how to fly a model helicopter or having to have an actual airfield to launch my plane from.

I am sure historically the airplane contingent of MAAC (or the AMA in the US) hated model helicopters when they first became popular. They changed when their existence became threatened because model airplanes grew less popular and accepted Helicopters into their fold. Now the same thing is happening with drones and their power base is threatened again.

It doesn't help us that some users of our platform are inconsiderate or fools. The ease of use attracts the weak willed but technology will eventually minimize the safety risks and drone popularity will continue to grow. Then organizations like MAAC will be knocking on our doors as the shortcomings of conventional model aircraft become obvious in our ever shrinking world.

I know that probably sounds like a sermon. I just happen to be in that kind of mood today.

Reactions: AlanTheBeast

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav