Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Interference from nearby metal objects

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Mainshipper, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Mainshipper

I was having fits yesterday when I could not get my P3P to initialize a Litchi waypoint mission with warnings about GPS (had 17 acquired at the time) and compass errors. I was on a dock where there were long steel pipes running along the wall where boats tie up. I was maybe 5-10' from them and once I moved to a different area where the pipes were not present the issue went away and the mission went without a hitch. What is the relationship between the compass, GPS, and external metallic interference that would cause this?

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

The compass becomes confused when it's close to metallic magnetic objects. It's best to always keep your Phantom clear of them.

3. Mainshipper

It's probably like the autopilot compass in my boat that states it should not be placed near large iron objects like the engine. Is there a consistent distance where it might go away?

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

All is usually okay for me if I'm 10+ feet away. I don't know if larger structures would require you to be even further away.

5. Flatwoods

I fly off and around boats and docks also and have had problems with compass calibration warnings. Found a good "when to and when not to recalibrate your compass" thread elsewhere on this forum that I'll try to look up again and pass along.

Yours is a Mainship?

6. Flatwoods

The compass calibration thread is titled "Compass Calibration, A Complete Primer". Good stuff.

7. msinger

Approved Vendor