Interference by power lines

Reaction score
Hi,

Before I buy a Phantom 2 (non-vision) I would like to make sure that I won't have any problems with the High-Voltage lines that run over my house.
Does this affect the controls or an FPV set-up in any way?

No you shouldn't have any problems as far as interference from the GPS aspect but it might mess with your compass some.

So just try to stay as far as possible from them as a precaution. ( should be doing that anyway for safety sakes.)

I'm interested in this question too. I went out on Saturday to fly and thought I noticed some compass issues and decided to recalibrate, but everywhere I went on a country road had power lines. There were lots of barbed wire fences and so I couldn't get off the road, but the power lines follow the road. Even side roads or driveways all had power lines!

How far away is far enough? Across the street? Are all power lines equal hazards?

I finally just drove home without flying rather than risk a flyaway or crash.

Jannes351 said:
Hi,

Before I buy a Phantom 2 (non-vision) I would like to make sure that I won't have any problems with the High-Voltage lines that run over my house.
Does this affect the controls or an FPV set-up in any way?

You'll be fine.

[vimeo]85120973[/vimeo]

The interference is minimal for things like thin wire fencing and most power lines but it is a good practice to stay away from them at least 100 feet for safety.

I have notice some interference when I was flying over a parking garage upper deck 10 feet above the deck.

The answer is "it depends". Two places I routinely fly at have modern high power electrical lines nearby. At one location they go directly overhead the launch area. I have not experienced any issues at all in those locations.

At another location, I launched from a parking lot and went to fly up to a nearby ridge, at one point my F550 went into complete hysterics, at one point it almost did a flip (in GPS mode), I threw it into ATTI mode, got some semblance of control and brought it back. I then pulled out a Phantom 2 Vision+ and at the same location the P2V+ did a crazy hard left bank and then started spinning, again, I threw it into ATTI and was able to get control and bring it back. Right where they both freaked out was over a small valley area, at the bottom of that valley (about 40' below my launch altitude) was a set of old power lines feeding a few houses. The copters were around 100' above the power lines but both experienced wild problems that almost lost them.

Will the lines by your house affect yours? Hard to say, but there is certainly a risk when flying near them. It would be best to just go to a park or other location without power lines that might cause a failure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers