Interesting Flytrex Changes

Reaction score
In the process of going for a new Top Speed personal record, I was looking over data on a csv file as I always do. And in looking at the milliseconds I noticed a change from what that setting is the point in which the data is collected. The change is it now reads less then what it always has prior to. In reading it less it now reads either 500, 750, 1000, milliseconds between read points. It use to be in this sequence, 250, 250, 250, 500.

So now when doing Top Speed flights, 1000 is a HUGE gap in time! On a flight I flew on the 10th there was a 1000 gap which at the part of the flight I happened to take notice to, was over a 6mph in that amount of time. Btw, I have been in motorcycle drag racing over 35yrs which is where I get a lot of my seriousness in competing in anything I'm involved in.

I wont go into complete details on this, but I actually use two data loggers just in case one of the flights fail in some way where a data logger could be concerned.

And this time I can say that these gaps in the Flytrex device robbed my flight over overall Top Speed results. Now the other data logger I use reads the data every 200 milliseconds which is actually how fast my device is able to process the data.

I did manage to set a record and will get the video up shortly in a different thread.

What are you aiming for? Or rather what are you expecting? To measure a peak in speed that can happen during that 1000 ms gap?

There is no direct speed measurement device on the Phantom. The speed is always a calculated average value between two GPS position reads. Each read only gets latitude, longitude and the time the read was made. Then the system subtracts that and gets distance and time it took to cross that distance. And then it is the old faithful v = s / t to get the speed.

If you want to get those high precision speed readings, you would have to fit a digital pitot tube measurement device with logger on the phantom. Not sure even if such thing exists(the logger part)
Faa_pitot_static_system.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitot-static_system

FlyNfrank I checked out your flytrex profile how fast do you think you got? You sure are climbing up the board on the speed challenge. I'm the one that is @ #1 for the vision plus 4th overall I need to do some more speed runs and get back up in overall

i was happy with my 36.2mph, how do you get them to go so fast

p fandango said:
i was happy with my 36.2mph, how do you get them to go so fast

Wind from behind, especially a steady wind of 20-24mph and gusts over 40mph are interesting.
Thats how i made a 78,20mph run.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj