Interesting experiment GPS mode vs Atti

Reaction score
Flew the phantom in GPS mode this evening and towards the end of the flight, I set it to hover about chest high, right in front of me. I reached out and grabbed the landing strut and tried to move the Phantom, up, down shift right, left, tilt and rotate. It put up quite a fight. You realize that it is constantly correcting for wind and such but when you actually feel it resist your efforts to move it, you appreciate how strong it is.
I then switched to Atti mode and it was much easier to move around. It would drift when you pushed it. There was still some gyroscope effect but nothing like the resistance in GPS mode.

Isn't technology great! A billion dollars of GPS satellites/ground support just to keep a $600 toy hovering in one place for 10 to 12 minutes of flight.

Who would have thunk just a few years ago?

;)

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: Jeffro115
I turned my Phantom upside down once after hand-catching it on landing, but before I'd switched off the motors.

JESUS, it's got some power in it - as soon as it went upside down, it turned all of the motors up to full speed and I had one hell of a job keeping hold of the **** thing, let alone shutting the throttle off.

Made me appreciate just how it can hover virtually in place even in strong-ish winds.

I caught mine once an it didn't quite work out as I expected :lol: result was chunk flesh missing from my finger ( felt like it been chopped off) so as shut motors I dropped it an broke a carbon prop :roll: :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers