Interesting experience

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently returned from a vacation in the Channel Islands. Specifically, we went to Alderney.
Alderney is a island about 3 1/2 miles long by 1 1/2 miles wide. I contacted the local ATC center and got permission to fly with all the usual cautions. Great! So off to the coast to get my footage.
I went to take off, nothing. It wouldn't let me take off because of the Geo System. I didn't know what it was telling me, so back to the hotel and a bunch of digging around I finally figured out that I needed to disable this before I flew. My question is, why have it in the first place? 99%+ of the time I know where I am flying and have permission before I fly. Especially in foreign countries I ask permission first even if I don't need it. Can anyone tell me what benefit the geo system give me other than being pain in the butt?
Thanks ... Ed
BTW, here's a link to the resultant vids.

Reactions: klongx
As I understand it, the ONLY benefit to the Geo system is that it prevents your copter from wandering into a NFZ, on the assumption that you haven't checked your surroundings or gotten adequate permissions, etc. I keep that function disabled.

With certain settings, if you have that on and cross into restricted airspace, the drone will automatically land where it is, and then you have to figure out how to go and retrieve it. This function was probably added just to keep DJI out of legal hot water with various military and national security agencies. By disabling it, the pilot takes on all liabilities for entering restricted spaces.

Yeah, that kinda makes sense. If you are a responsible flier it's more of a nuisance than it's worth.
Thanks for the feedback.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr