interesting boundry layer

Reaction score
Attracted 3 hawks at ~210 ft. Bit of a breeze as well.
When they flew off and I started dropping down, I hit a boundry layer at ~85 ft, the drone started violently warbling, and flying forward. Another 10 feet down it stabilized, flew back up and same thing.
So my first drone microburts!!
attitude mode definitely highlights the wind speed though, and I let the drone land itself for first time playing with rth. dji landed fine.

Excuse me for what might seem picky in response to your post. We as drone fliers use a little aerodynamics lingo once in awhile. But I am confused by your use of the term "Boundary layer". In my pilot training I learned that a boundary layer refers to the stream of fluid(air) immediately adjacent to a moving surface. Non-turblent flow in this region minimizes drag and enhances the production of lift. What you described sounds a lot like clear air turbulence if it occurred in the absence of stormy weather where microbursts are found.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

You're good evil ....

More likely VRS if his vertical speed was great enough, adding forward speed would recover it from that state, adding more power to counteract would only increase it - the wobble is the giveaway.

Excuse me for what might seem picky in response to your post. We as drone fliers use a little aerodynamics lingo once in awhile. But I am confused by your use of the term "Boundary layer". In my pilot training I learned that a boundary layer refers to the stream of fluid(air) immediately adjacent to a moving surface. Non-turblent flow in this region minimizes drag and enhances the production of lift. What you described sounds a lot like clear air turbulence if it occurred in the absence of stormy weather where microbursts are found.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes, but it was a narrow 10 foot thick layer. My own little jet stream. It was gone 5 minutes later. Never hit one outside of mountain ranges Where air coming over the top makes turbulence. There was no loss of lift, just wild gyrations of air making the motors sing and groan trying to stay upright. Did get the heart pumping at first till I dropped under it and realized how small it was.
I was just dropping down slowly after hawks left, so no forward movement at all till I hit the air. Then it jumped 10+ feet at least forward while rocking violently.. fighting the forward movement made it worse, so I let it continue forward while keeping decent.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20