Interested in DJIs competition, just ordered an X-Star Premium

Reaction score
After owning several P3Ps and still actively flying an Inspire 1 Pro, I ordered Autels X Star Premium. After reading many reviews and watching many youtube videos, there just doesn't seem to be many complaints about this product. What stands out everywhere is Autels outstanding customer service. I've spoken to them on a couple of occasions in regards to pre-purchase information, they were always prompt to answer calls and questions were answered by those with piloting experience of the products they sell. I'll report back once I have a chance to fly this new bird. By the way, I went with the orange color.
Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 11.07.03 AM.png

Last edited:
I have been curious about these, but from my (very limited) reading they seem to have lower range and higher price than the comparable dji. Am I missing something?

There's no doubt the range is limited compared to DJIs lightbridge however, it doesn't have the same limitations as other competitors relying solely on wifi. I've read a few reviews with some owners reporting as much as 2.2 - 2.5 miles, I'll be satisfied with 1/2 that. Battery time has been reported by users as >22 minutes. I've never been able to get more than 20, usually 16-18. Results of video and photo has also been reported by many as being better than comparable DJI products. Also, the camera has a quick release for possible future upgrading and/or transportation. Autel includes a "real" case with the premium and is priced a a very reasonable $899 for the premium and $699 for standard (wifi model).

flew mine stock 2.54 miles and could of went more good enough range for me

Reactions: liketogethigh
flew mine stock 2.54 miles and could of went more good enough range for me
I haven't even gone that far with the professional. More and more I really want one of these even though I have a perfectly good p3p lol maybe its the cool orange color

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

plus customer service is awesome orange can see it a lot better during the day

After owning several P3Ps and still actively flying an Inspire 1 Pro, I ordered Autels X Star Premium. After reading many reviews and watching many youtube videos, there just doesn't seem to be many complaints about this product. What stands out everywhere is Autels outstanding customer service. I've spoken to them on a couple of occasions in regards to pre-purchase information, they were always prompt to answer calls and questions were answered by those with piloting experience of the products they sell. I'll report back once I have a chance to fly this new bird. By the way, I went with the orange color.
View attachment 56999
plus welcome to the pumpkin army

Reactions: CCDD
still hoping for this one next time
upload_2016-6-14_13-12-34.png

Reactions: CPLpilot
Hey flpholt, you know if that black version will be released to public in the near future? Thanks
maybe autel is listening to what we want in a drone so more than likely yes

View attachment 56999

****, why did I have to look at this? Another one that I gotta get. :)

I can see Autel being dragged through the courts .....

wont happen been around longer than dji so I think they know what they are doing
Ah OK. Didn't realise. Well all they need do is improve on DJI customer service and it's a no brainer ..... which won't be a hard task! That detachable camera has my attention. I see FLIR attachable cameras on the horizon

the thing is awesome and yes customer service is the best I have flown mine 2.54 miles with no problem plus build quality much better than dji

Reactions: captainmilehigh
2.54 or 254?

Now for a somewhat brief, unbiased review of my experience with Autels XSP. There's no doubt what many have said about Autels customer service being top notch is very true. Unfortunately, my first XSP had what was thought to be a defective compass, however, Autel sent me an immediate replacement. I've spoken to CS on several occasions with other questions and there was little to no wait and all answers were handled in a very professional manner.
The build quality appears to be far superior to DJIs Phantom and the slightly wider stance will likely lend to more secure landings for those choosing not to hand catch. The camera has delivered what I would call similar results to my prior P3P, perhaps a bit sharper. The remote is quite intuitive and has features and feel that make it a step above the Phantoms, although, the sticks don't offer enough resistance for my liking. Where the XSP falls far short is the overall flying experience and feedback to pilot. I believe those that have had experience with Phantoms will confirm Autels delay/lag response in regards to control over both bird and camera. A slow smooth yaw appears to be impossible with the XSP as any slight stick movement often gets no response and any additional pressure makes for a more jerky response. The Phantom responds exactly as one expects, al;ways positive and true. There are so many adjustment features "not" offered within Autels Starlink app for many items we've become accustomed to having in the DJI Go app. Having flown nearly 4,000,000 ft (Approx 750 miles) with DJI products, I just can't feel the same confidence level I did with the Phantom. I believe the XSP is soon to be a true contender with the Phantom line, perhaps, not quite yet. Those that are new to the hobby or have flown products other than DJI Phantoms will likely be impressed with the Autels current offering. I think Autel is so very close to getting it done right, I just hope I can soon find the love in this product that I had originally hoped for.

Last edited:
CCDD, thanks for the info on the Autel. It is worth considering if my P3S goes south....or east....or away. [emoji30]. You and flpholt just about have me sold on my next choice on a UAV.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj