Interceptor UAV with Mounted Net Cannon!

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Scientists at Michigan Tech University have made an interceptor drone that is capable of "catching" other drones using a mounted net cannon. It can capture up to 40' away.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"The net is designed so the caught drone doesn't hit the ground", except when the drone's distance to the ground is shorter than the length of the rope.... in which case, said explosive-wielding drone detonates on impact?

What happens if that octo flies away w/ said explosive-wielding drone, runs out of battery, and lands in a school yard full of children?

What happens if that octo crashes into a crowd of people whilst trying to snare the "rogue drone"?

What happens when the "rogue drone" is the Interceptor?

Oh, and is that thing registered?

Last edited:
Scientists at Michigan Tech University have made an interceptor drone that is capable of "catching" other drones using a mounted net cannon. It can capture up to 40' away.
Hmm .. watching their video I'm wondering about its effectiveness against a moving target?
Professor Rastgaar who invented this doesn't sound like the most practical guy ... (but perhaps he could still make a fortune selling to the military).
Drone Catcher: "Robotic Falcon" can Capture, Retrieve Renegade Drones
Rastgaar, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at Michigan Technological University, began work on a drone catcher, which could pursue and capture rogue drones that might threaten military installations, air traffic, sporting events—even the White House.
For this to work at say a stadium, they would need to have a fleet of these things only a few hundred metres apart around the stadium, all on standby ready to launch instantly and with experienced crews.
According to the professor “The FAA [Federal Aviation Administration] has just announced that drones must be registered, and we think the catcher could help enforce the law by catching unregistered drones,”
And he thinks he can help with that?
OK professor ... how many dogcatcher drones do you think you need to deploy around the US and how are they going to identify these unregistered drones that are such a big problem that must be dealt with?
Back to the drawing board?
I think the professor should get outdoors a little more and go fly a Phantom occasionally.

It is a better solution than the guy who was pushing a square net hung from the bottom of a UAV. :D
It may be good for say a prison where they see one incoming.
I am sure there will be laser shooting UAV's some day soon. :)

its a cool idea but looks to be to slow to catch any thing but cool non the less. I bet the fishing community would buy them

I just don't see it catching anything but air, especially at full throttle. I can see the net opening and the interceptor drone flying into it easy enough but I doubt if it will ever catch me :) hahaha. Come and get me copper... :rolleyes:

Hey, point that net downward and turn it into to a fishing bait collector. LOL, That's a much better use for it!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Isn't it against the law to equip a drone with an explosive device? Therefore, not very practical in the hands of the general public.

I'm going to buy one so I can be ready for any Amazon package carrying drones that fly through my neighborhood. Holiday shopping via Amazon just got more fun.

Looks to be the same drone

This thing doesn.t look like its anywhere fast enough to catch a p4 in sport mode

This one looks like it would have a better chance

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic