Integrated GPS/Compass Unit... Good Upgrade?

PJA

Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading the compass...

How is the Integrated GPS/Compass working out for those who have done the upgrade...?

9896560105_48c3d7b5dc_b.jpg

Why would you bother? The stock phantom compass must be mounted where it is for a reason. DJI sell the combined unit (I have one on my F550) so you would think that they would just use the same item unless there was a good reason not to. Interference maybe?
The GPS unit for Naza-M comes with a pole to mount it high up, out of the way of EM interference from the ESCs. The Phantom has it's GPS pretty close to the ESCs and other electronics so I guess they decided to separate the compass part and mount it on the legs out of the way.

I have read somewhere that the compass was put on the leg because there was interference when it was mounted inside the shell.
Maybe they started out with it on or near the main board and later figured that it would not get interference if they put it behind the shielded foam cover over the GPS module.
If you look closely you can see the copper layer between the foam layers that makes up the shield.

I have read on other forums that the phantom GPS unit uses a different communication protocol and cannot be swapped with other DJI products. However, I think it would be nice and would probably swap mine, too. ...once another guinea pig tries it and shows it works :) . I've been wanting to install auto-foldup landing gear but what to do with the compass has been a snag in that plan.

I'm sure someone (or a few) out there has changed out the stock unit for the Integrated GPS/Compass unit ... I'm really curious if it's any better going that route to get the compass off the leg... I also know about the copper between the foam layers. Would that be enough to keep interference down for the compass to work normally...

Hope to get that answer... Would be a better fix and a neater look if the swap really does work flawlessly...

A closer image of both:

9900876854_e995266949.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik