Insurance

Reaction score
Just about to get Phantom 3 Standard, thinking about getting insurance for it, if you do recommend them who is best to go to?

Standard homowner's/renter's policy should cover most anything, subject to your deductible. Check with your agent.

After looking for quite a while, I just got insurance from Zach at Horizon Agency. He knows drones and insures worldwide. It was hard to find someone who actually insured drones specifically - including litigation surrounding privacy. Tell him Christina sent you. [email protected]

After looking for quite a while, I just got insurance from Zach at Horizon Agency. He knows drones and insures worldwide. It was hard to find someone who actually insured drones specifically - including litigation surrounding privacy. Tell him Christina sent you. [email protected]
Ball park how much we talking for say a P3A?

Who is the underwriting company?

Yeah I need to insure also. What would be the difference between insuring with your homeowner insurance and say going with a UAV specific carrier?

You could try Neary-Aerial. From the forums it looks like if you accidentally crash your quad into a wall, lamp post, tree etc as long as you recover the damaged quad. You send it to them and they fix it. All for $240 and below a year. 50% off the 2nd year if you don't utilize a claim.

You could try Neary-Aerial. From the forums it looks like if you accidentally crash your quad into a wall, lamp post, tree etc as long as you recover the damaged quad. You send it to them and they fix it. All for $240 and below a year. 50% off the 2nd year if you don't utilize a claim.
What about a recovered submerged quad from the ocean?

Ball park how much we talking for say a P3A?
About $1K per drone with liability etc... Gets cheaper with more drones. It's through Berkley Aviation. I had a hard time finding commercial insurance, which is why I'm trying to help others out. I must have called like 5 different companies. There's no solid data on crashes, law suits, damage etc..., so most companies just don't insure them. I also got an email from a company called Highland Aviation Insurance. I called, but didn't get the best feeling from them. Maybe they're fine, but I knew someone else who uses Horizon, so I went with them. I'll be flying commercially, so I needed something to cover my drones and my contractors. If you're just flying for fun, AMA coverage (in the US at least) is super cheap at $60/year. You can check out their website too - they have all the coverage you get listed.

Wouldn't the fact that FAA guidelines currently prohibit commercial use exclude any such coverage under any policy? Insurance is all about exclusions for anything that is likely. I can't see them offering coverage for activities not fully sanctioned by the FAA. That's a great loophole for them to deny coverage, while still happily selling you a policy and collecting premiums, knowing nothing commercial will ever be covered.

well, wouldnt the policy specifically state for hobby use and not commercial use if there was an accident and damages resulted to someone's property or person?
dropping $1000-1200/yr for coverage sorta begs the basic question.

Finding someone to sell you a policy is easy. Ever collecting coverage under it for your intended use, now that's the challenge! :cool: Insurance companies make their money by denying claims, not by paying them!

well, wouldnt the policy specifically state for hobby use and not commercial use if there was an accident and damages resulted to someone's property or person?
dropping $1000-1200/yr for coverage sorta begs the basic question.
Undoubtedly, and I am sure there are plenty of other exclusions even under the hobby use, as well, like flying in any wind, or over water, or beyond visual line of sight, unaided by binoculars!
Probably half of all owners have some kind of crash during their first week of use, due to pilot error and inexperience. I did!:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20