Insurance

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a question about insurance for you. I'm 16 and have the P3S, I'm working on getting my commercial license so I can start a little business, probably with real estate and scouting crops.

So I guess my question is what type of insurance do I get? I'm really confused with insurance in general so if anyone could clear something's up for me it would be greatly appreciated!

I would venture most pilots use Verify where a million dollar policy can be purchased for ten bucks or more. The price depends upon where you fly. When I purchased near a large stadium the price was 25.00.

Verify is an app you can download and install on your device.
Verifly – On-demand Drone Insurance

It's expensive if you are in California but people in other states seem to be able to get it added to homeowners policies or for less than here. Not sure where you are. Mainly you need liability insurance. You can get verifly by the hour from the app:
Verifly – On-demand Drone Insurance

Some other ppl here who live where you do may be able to give advice here. There are many insurance threads, do a search.

Ok thanks! I live in Illinois
For operating a business you are going to want "Liability" insurance. That covers you for any damage you might accidentally do to other peoples property, or injuries you might cause to someone. VeriFly, (mentioned above), is a good way to start out. You buy the insurance, per flight, for a certain time frame, (a few hours), right from an app on the phone or tablet. They charge different rates per flight, depending on the location, based on the potential risk involved. I think it requires a credit card. Nice way to go, (per flight), until your business picks up. When you begin spending more then $50 a month for VeriFly, (probably (3-5) flights a month), then it will be cheaper to get an annual, (yearly) policy insurance from a big insurance company. Start by asking your parents to call the insurance company that they buy their car and/or home insurance from. Those companies often give big discounts for adding another policy to an already existing customer's account.
Also try Drone - UAV Insurance
That is who I use.
There are many others, now. I have never had a "claim" for damages and I pay about $650 a year for $500,000 worth of coverage. I fly only in sparsely populated rural areas, so that is adequate coverage for me. Flying in more urban, populated areas might warrant more coverage. Fly safe & fly legal.
Insurance companies lower their prices as time goes on and you get more experience and have not had any accidents.
What I like about having an annual policy is that I don't have to think about getting insurance by using an app every-time I fly. I am covered 24 hours a day,(even though I do not & have no need to fly at night), 7 days a week, wherever I legally fly, for what ever reason, (business or recreational).
Remember the word, "legal". If something happens, your insurance will be void, ("no coverage"), should your insurance company, the FAA, or other agencies, determine that your flight was not legal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that the app may become a problem in the future as the area I would shoot real estate has no phone service at all

I think that the app may become a problem in the future as the area I would shoot real estate has no phone service at all
I was going to mention that also. I frequently fly in "no cell coverage" areas, too. The annual policy just eliminates any/all problems. They usually let you pay quarterly, (every (3) months), or semi-annually, (every (6) months), if you can't scrape together the annual premium, ( total amount due for a year).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.