Insurance? (USA)

I have my AMA Membership personally.

You can check this Thread.http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4247 This guy jumped on and never really got back to anyone. I PM'ed him with no results. Hope this helps. I know there are ways but it seems like you have to be in a special club to know how to do it.

It also depends what your trying to insure. Some people have had luck insuring there aircraft through square trade.

BallisticPhantom said:

You can check this Thread.http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4247 This guy jumped on and never really got back to anyone. I PM'ed him with no results. Hope this helps. I know there are ways but it seems like you have to be in a special club to know how to do it.

It also depends what your trying to insure. Some people have had luck insuring there aircraft through square trade.

Funny you should have that link. I've sent UAVInsurance three emails and have not heard anything

FASTFJR said:
BallisticPhantom said:

Funny you should have that link. I've sent UAVInsurance three emails and have not heard anything
Try here; http://www.TransportRisk.com
They answered me promptly. There minimum Liability Insurance is 1 million, and there is a deductible on your Phantom. Also, the policy is for a minimum of 1 year.
I don't have the prices. They are very selective on whom they insure, and unless you are in the Film Industry, or other high liability situation, you may not like the price. There is an application process-they then send that out to Underwriters who determine your rates.

I PM'ed UAVInsurance and got an answer within minutes....they don't insure Phantom's....

I am also after the insurance and will try AMA as that seems the best deal at the moment.

P

ppdrone said:
I PM'ed UAVInsurance and got an answer within minutes....they don't insure Phantom's....

I am also after the insurance and will try AMA as that seems the best deal at the moment.

P
Thanks. Let us all know what the rates are, and deductibles. Also-need liability coverage. That's a must......
IF, I could get it on a "per event" basis, that would be even better.

Age 19-65 - $58
65 & over - $48
Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
Additional family members - $30 Benefits:
$2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
$25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
Model Aviation monthly magazine
Access to members only section of website
Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership ... tions.aspx

I am new to this whoe liability thing....so when it says 2.5m personal liability...that's when someone sues you you are covered for upto 2.5m....right?

ppdrone said:
Age 19-65 - $58
65 & over - $48
Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
Additional family members - $30 Benefits:
$2,500,000 personal liability insurance coverage
$25,000 Medical Coverage-AD&D Policy ($10,000 Death Benefit)
$1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism coverage
Model Aviation monthly magazine
Access to members only section of website
Ability to fly at thousands of AMA chartered club sites with appropriate club membership
Toll free customer service – 1-800-I-Fly-AMA (435-9262)

http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership ... tions.aspx

I am new to this whoe liability thing....so when it says 2.5m personal liability...that's when someone sues you you are covered for upto 2.5m....right?
Yea, but.......
Before you buy, you better read all the rules!!! This appears to only apply at certain "locations" that are "approved" for flight...etc. etc.....
Also, the "Park Pilot Program" has a 2lb aircraft weight limitation. The phantom weighs over 2lbs.

It appears to me, after reading all the rules/regulations, that this won't help me. I need something different.

Rules;https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

By locations...yes...where ever it is legal to fly...is the way I am reading it.
I don't intend to fly around airports...and in parks where its prohibited.

I am looking at full membership...and think Phantom's weight is ok.
Tried calling them but they are closed for the day. Will try again tomorrow.

Does anyone here have the AMA insurance already? Any experiences with it?

I have not read mine yet as it applies to drones, but read your homeowners policy. It might provide liability and physical damage coverage (not fly away).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

what was that monthly rate, i didnt see it?
kind of stupid to pay 100 bucks a month when in 5 months you could just buy a new phantom with the price you would pay otherwise.

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
kind of stupid to pay 100 bucks a month when in 5 months you could just buy a new phantom with the price you would pay otherwise.
Not where there is Liability at stake. You hit/hurt 1 person, and they could bankrupt you.
For me, it's not about replacing the Phantom-it's disposable. It's more about protecting my assets.

Reactions: jhoke
ppdrone said:
same here...
it costs 58 usd a year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But, will it cover me, wherever I chose to fly. OR, must I only be flying at an "Approved" site?
When you get sued, is not the time to figure out IF you have coverage ;)

havasuphoto said:
MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
Not where there is Liability at stake. You hit/hurt 1 person, and they could bankrupt you.
For me, it's not about replacing the Phantom-it's disposable. It's more about protecting my assets.
or just dont fly it around people and do stupid stuff with it

havasuphoto said:
ppdrone said:
same here...
it costs 58 usd a year!

But, will it cover me, wherever I chose to fly. OR, must I only be flying at an "Approved" site?

I agree....I didn't speak to anyone from AMA yet. But reading their pdf I think they are saying you have to fly at an approved field....
Also, I learned its an umbrella policy so first your homeowner liability kicks off, and only if that is not sufficient their 2.5m kick off.

I am really confused now...do pilots on this website have any insurances or not? So far nobody said they did....so I am starting to question wether you need one if you have a good homeowners policy that I assume covers all sorts of things including aerial hobbies!

ppdrone said:
havasuphoto said:
ppdrone said:
same here...
it costs 58 usd a year!

I agree....I didn't speak to anyone from AMA yet. But reading their pdf I think they are saying you have to fly at an approved field....
Also, I learned its an umbrella policy so first your homeowner liability kicks off, and only if that is not sufficient their 2.5m kick off.

I am really confused now...do pilots on this website have any insurances or not? So far nobody said they did....so I am starting to question wether you need one if you have a good homeowners policy that I assume covers all sorts of things including aerial hobbies!
Call the agent who holds your homeowner's policy and find out.

Usually, when you're in certain "situations", you are covered by a blanket policy. I can't get into any more specifics than that.
However-for the "casual" user, trying to avoid people is easier said than done. And, 2.5lbs, falling from 100 feet up, if it hits someone, is really going to leave a mark.
So, the fact that we are having this discussion is a good one. It means we care. Remember-they sold a ton of Phantoms over the Holidays, and most of those fliers aren't on this website. All Phantoms look the same-so I don't want to be confused with "that other guy".....if you understand what I'm saying. I do my best to avoid over-flight of people. But, in the area I'm in-sometimes they just sneak in.

I know of only one person on this forum who has publicly stated he has specific RC flying insurance....and it is the AMA policy. But he flies other things more than he flies a Phantom.

For the rest of us, I think it is an amalgam of people, a few who just never think ahead that far, take risks without hesitation, and may or may not have any real assets to protect.....and many others who always fly cautiously and carefully in the least risky environments possible and don't think their risk exposure is all that great (like me)..... and some inbetween. When I have flown in a risky environment, inside a horse show arena....above people and riders on horses....I was sure I had insurance coverage from the facility. Personally, with what I am doing at this point, I don't think I need insurance. But that might change if circumstances change. With some examples of irresponsible flying we hear about here, my concern is more for triggering a blanket restrictive legal response than personal liability. But....if I were either dumb or ballsy enough to put my bird up over 1K feet....over an urban envorinment...at night....insurance might come to mind.

But NOTE.....MOST insurance policies cover you for accidents or mishaps involving LEGAL acts. In many cases the moment you are doing something ILLEGAL...then you may have NO insurance...regardless of your policy. Sooo....if your incident occurs in FAA restricted airspace.......or say filming from the Phantom for commercial gain....all bets as to insurance coverage are off.

So far, other than our own internal paranoid musings, I don't think that insurance companies in general, and I am thinking of homeowners policies here, are either seeing a surge in claims or anything else to make them think that drone flying is emerging as a super risky activity that needs exclusion from basic policies and coverage all of it's own.

It also occurs to me that, when it comes to the whats and why of the AMA policy, arguably the greatest risk and need for coverage IS flying at AMA club site and events where you often have a bunch of people gathered..TO FLY....a bunch of expensive equipment and planes either in the air or sitting out waiting. In that specific setting a wayward plane or transmitter interference could cause thousands of dollars damage to equipment and there is the risk of seriously hurting people....whereas flying (legally) out in some secluded field alone represents ZERO risk to anyone other than yourself.

Peter Patricelli said:
I know of only one person on this forum who has publicly stated he has specific RC flying insurance....and it is the AMA policy. But he flies other things more than he flies a Phantom.

For the rest of us, I think it is an amalgam of people, a few who just never think ahead that far, take risks without hesitation, and may or may not have any real assets to protect.....and many others who always fly cautiously and carefully in the least risky environments possible and don't think their risk exposure is all that great (like me)..... and some inbetween. When I have flown in a risky environment, inside a horse show arena....above people and riders on horses....I was sure I had insurance coverage from the facility. Personally, with what I am doing at this point, I don't think I need insurance. But that might change if circumstances change. With some examples of irresponsible flying we hear about here, my concern is more for triggering a blanket restrictive legal response than personal liability. But....if I were either dumb or ballsy enough to put my bird up over 1K feet....over an urban envorinment...at night....insurance might come to mind.

But NOTE.....MOST insurance policies cover you for accidents or mishaps involving LEGAL acts. In many cases the moment you are doing something ILLEGAL...then you may have NO insurance...regardless of your policy. Sooo....if your incident occurs in FAA restricted airspace.......or say filming from the Phantom for commercial gain....all bets as to insurance coverage are off.

So far, other than our own internal paranoid musings, I don't think that insurance companies in general, and I am thinking of homeowners policies here, are either seeing a surge in claims or anything else to make them think that drone flying is emerging as a super risky activity that needs exclusion from basic policies and coverage all of it's own.

It also occurs to me that, when it comes to the whats and why of the AMA policy, arguably the greatest risk and need for coverage IS flying at AMA club site and events where you often have a bunch of people gathered..TO FLY....a bunch of expensive equipment and planes either in the air or sitting out waiting. In that specific setting a wayward plane or transmitter interference could cause thousands of dollars damage to equipment and there is the risk of seriously hurting people....whereas flying (legally) out in some secluded field alone represents ZERO risk to anyone other than yourself.

filming from the Phantom for commercial gain....all bets as to insurance coverage are off.

Can you point me in the right direction that clearly shows the FAA has the legal authority to do that?
It's kind of OT-so you can PM me the Regulatory Authority, by section..if you can.

As far as your "blanket" policy while operating inside the Horse Arena, I still worry about Personal Liability. As you know, Attorney's tend to name all persons involved.....including the Operator.
So, this is a good discussion-and I hope people pay attention. I wouldn't want to be the first guy with the Phantom, that gets sued......
And, despite our best intentions, careful pre-flight planning, and all due diligence while flying, these are electrical devices, and sometimes things can just go wrong. It'd be nice to be personally covered in those situations.

Peter Patricelli said:

I'd like to offer another opinion. I have read many insurance policies (that's my line of work). Most policies have exclusions for intentional acts, not "illegal acts". This is because liability policies are based on civil law, not criminal. It's illegal to drive drunk but your auto policy would still respond.

I would 100% agree with the commercial gain thought. Most personal lines liability policies do have 'business' exclusions as these exposures are better covered under a business policy. This has been tested in many States and is not always upheld - pizza delivery on a personal auto policy for example.

I would not be at all surprised if the AMA policy is excess of any other collectible insurance.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20