Insurance (legal liability/damage) Info For Phantom (Aust)

Reaction score
As a beginner I wanted to ensure I was covered for legal liability should my bird fall out of the sky (and onto a Ferrari or someone's head, not that I will be looking to fly over populous areas, but just in case I had a flyaway). Thought I'd post what I found here.

CGU:
"We will cover liability that arises from: model or toy aircraft" http://www.cgu.com.au/insurance/Documen ... nce_policy

However when I contacted them specifying the Phantom 2 Vision+, they responded:

"This is not considered a toy aircraft as stated in the product disclosure statement, the accessories and features of this particular air craft/drone is not something at the moment CGU is prepared to cover."

This was the response from another insurance provider I contacted specifying the model details.

AAMI:
"We can confirm that AAMI will cover you for the legal liability as outlined on page 37 of our PDS: http://www.aami.com.au/sites/default/fi ... ts-pds.pdf

As per page 33 of our PDS we will cover it as an unspecified item but not whilst in use i.e. if someone stole it out of your car then we will cover it, however if you were flying it and crashed it we will not cover the item."

Looks like I'll be switching from CGU (my current home & contents insurance provider) to AAMI :)

Though may consider another if I find one who will cover the device while in use (e.g. a good accidental damage policy)... any tips?

Re: Insurance (legal liability/damage) Info For Phantom (Aus

It's not clear from the AAMI policy and what you wrote, particularly since they said ...however if you were flying it and crashed it we will not cover the item.
WiIl they cover your liability in the event of your Phantom crashing and causing damage or just give you cover against loss?

It might have helped to have the questions I asked which were:

Does the liability insurance for your home contents policy cover events that result in damage or injury caused when flying outside of the home? For example if it malfunctioned mid-flight and fell from the sky onto a vehicle / person or was flown into the side of a building (pilot error or as a result of one of the GPS driven autopilot functions).

Also would you allow optional extras cover for the device, so that I would be covered for any damage or loss to the aircraft resulting from operation away from the home (in Australia)?

So they will cover legal liability/damage to other property/persons. They will cover the Phantom if it's stolen. They won't cover the Phantom if it's damaged or lost during use.

hotstink626 said:
So what was the quote on this ?

The legal liability is covered under their standard home & contents (or just contents if renting) policy so it depends on your location, value of contents you want to cover, security of the home, etc. You can do a quote through their website: http://www.aami.com.au/home-insurance

Look into am academy of model aeronautics.. They have insurancewithmembership

I have a GL policy from Hill & Usher that covers commercial use of the Phantom. I'm in FL and for $1M/$3M it is roughly $1,700/year. This does not include the Phantom itself. Coverage for that starts around $1,500, so what's the point? It would be worth it for an Octo or something, but not for this. But, if you need coverage for clients or just for piece of mind this will work.

vicdevore said:
I have a GL policy from Hill & Usher that covers commercial use of the Phantom. I'm in FL and for $1M/$3M it is roughly $1,700/year. This does not include the Phantom itself. Coverage for that starts around $1,500, so what's the point? It would be worth it for an Octo or something, but not for this. But, if you need coverage for clients or just for piece of mind this will work.
Ouch! To give an indication of the cost in Australia (for the legal liability under a contents policy, for personal use only), it was only around A$350 for me, but the cost is associated with the value of your building/contents (could be a lot more or less). $20m cover from AAMI as linked above.

I asked WFI a while back .Nothing written just a phone conversation .They would add a drone $2000 worth to our farm policy for $70 a year with liability cover .He stressed that it had to be operated strictly within the law .
I didn't look into it further .You would have to check the fine print in case of exclusions ( like getting it out of the box and flying it or only flying on the Equinox or only between 6am and 7am ...on the 2nd Monday of a leap year) They can be slippery buggers .

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl