Insurance in the UK

Reaction score
Hey all! Me again! :)
I am anxious that I could lose nearly £1000 (nearly $1600!) in 30 seconds (Crash, boom etc.) and I was looking at insurance. I found one page: http://www.uavs.co.uk but realised you had to be using this drone professionally to get this insurance. I make films as a hobby and plan to do so as a job as my life continues - It costs a lot to get a licence in the UK to legally be a commercial drone flyer (making ads/photography), so I am not professional - therefore this insurance package is not for me.:cool:
I also heard that drones are covered on home insurance - any backup on that?
Basically, I - like all of us - do not want to lose my money if I lose my drone - any ideas?
Thanks!
Baldrick

In fact pretty much all of the insurance websites demand I am using it commercially/am a professional. I guess this is because they know I have a good standard and so they will still make money out of me - rather than me just crashing it instantly like they fear an amateur would. :confused:

Don't know of any insurance packages that will cover you for the loss of your drone. It's possible it may be covered on your household insurance, but it may need to be mentioned specifically in your policy as most 'all risk' clauses need items above a certain value to be named individually. Check with your insurance provider to be sure.

In fact pretty much all of the insurance websites demand I am using it commercially/am a professional. I guess this is because they know I have a good standard and so they will still make money out of me - rather than me just crashing it instantly like they fear an amateur would. :confused:
Hey all! Me again! :)
I am anxious that I could lose nearly £1000 (nearly $1600!) in 30 seconds (Crash, boom etc.) and I was looking at insurance. I found one page: http://www.uavs.co.uk but realised you had to be using this drone professionally to get this insurance. I make films as a hobby and plan to do so as a job as my life continues - It costs a lot to get a licence in the UK to legally be a commercial drone flyer (making ads/photography), so I am not professional - therefore this insurance package is not for me.:cool:
I also heard that drones are covered on home insurance - any backup on that?
Basically, I - like all of us - do not want to lose my money if I lose my drone - any ideas?
Thanks!
Baldrick
Hi. I'd be very surprised if you could get a hobby quadcopter insured against loss/ damage whilst flying, its just far too much of a risk as far as the insurance company is concerned. The only cover you could get would be against thieft under your general household contents. If they would consider insuring it whilst flying the premium would be prohibitive. Remember insurance companies want to make money out of us.Don't you just love them!! Anyway I find that flying my phantom2 with gopro4 attached in situations where a crash would be a total loss gives my heart rate a good work out.

Hi, it's not just your loss of the £1000 you need to worry about, you need to consider that if you do crash your £1000 investment might cause some damage to another 3rd party person or their property. We have inherited the "blame and claim" society from the USA. As soon as I purchased my quadcopter I joined the British Model Flying Association (BMFA), membership is about £30/year and includes third party insurance cover for hobby flying. You can also get extended cover for flying abroad if you take your quadcopter on holiday. It doesn't cost any extra, you just need to contact the BMFA a few weeks before you go and they will issue you with a short term cover note before you go.

Slightly off your original question, but worth considering. If you did have a flyaway and it ended up landing on someone's car or injuring someone you could find yourself in court and the loss of your £1000 bird will be the least of your worries!

Amen to that. I also joined the BMFA for their 3rd party insurance cover but didn't realise that I had to inform them if I was flying it a abroad. Luckily no mishaps earlier this year whilst flying it in France and Spain whist touring in my motorhome. Will certainly inform them on my next trip. As you rightly said in your last post, it's a litigation society these days.

your home insurance provider should do it I got mine for £11 a year on top of my policy for £2500 of cover anywhere as it counts as a camera :) I am with RBS in the uk (and it covers accidental loss or damage)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj