Insurance for Phantom 4

The aircraft already comes with a 1 year warranty for anything other than pilot error that causes a crash. The insurance therefore only adds pilot error coverage, and DJI then won't bother determining if it was their fault. Put the money toward extra batteries instead. You are going to need them! Depending upon the damage in a pilot error crash, repair could be significantly less than the premium for replacing props and skids. Insurance is sold because it is profitable, not because it saves you money. Most people buying it are wasting their money paying for the claims filed by others. Most policies also have exclusions and limitations that prevent collecting on claims, such as recovering the aircraft. If you can't find it, they won't replace it! YMMV.
You may have swayed me on this one (not an easy thing to do BTW).

One of the thing in their list of exclusions is "7) Abrasions and shell damage that do not affect the performance of the aircraft.".

I mean I get that why change something that isn't hurting the performance but a crack by definition almost, on something like a fuselage is going to get more cracked so it might fly great now but after the DJI Care is gone, then what?

I got it on my first one, I am trying to decide whether to get it on my second. I never fly my Inspire more than 100 feet away from me, as I'm usually using it for shooting something close by. But what happens if there is a fly-away and you lose the bird? There is an exclusion for lost birds? If there is a fly-away and a lost bird, is that covered or not? I've incidentally have never had a fly away with any drone but I'm definitely aware it could happen.'

Shrug

Two more batteries do sound tastier than a $300 item I'll never use. Hmmmmm

Last edited:
Reactions: David Kraft
I understand wanting to have insurance to fix or replace a lost or damaged Phantom, but what about liability insurance? Anyone have insurance to protect you if your drone falls out of the sky and hits a child or something?
My company has liability insurance that covers anything I do while doing it for business, and every time I fly one of my UASs, I'm at the very least just practicing, which county for liability coverage. Liability coverage, for the record, is very cheap and you guys should get it. God forbid something did happen, even if you weren't being negligent, you will be held liable for injury caused by a wayward bird. And in the worst case scenario (and I'm amazed I dont hear this happening more and on the first one, FAA is gonna stomp), if you are found to be liable for someone getting hurt, that person could be found guilty of many serious crimes if found to be flying criminally (i.e. in a place it shouldn't be like over a park or any of the many things that define flying drones, especially in LA as criminal)/ I'm starting to stick to our meeting places only just to be safe. It's also cool. Sort of like a PhantomPilots.com but since we are face to face, everyone is nice to each other and we have a blast. Anyone in SoCal that wants to join our little club, let me know.

It used to be mainly planes, but now it's a mix of planes and quads and probably more quads an nobody is rude if you're a "noob", I put that in quotes because I find the word to be goofy and said by people that are goofy but it does sometimes have a place ;)

So DJI care or not? That is the question.

Reactions: grottoli
State Farm calls it the Personal Articles Policy.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/home-and-property/personal-articles-policy

I'm pretty heavily invested with State Farm having my homeowners, two vehicles, personal articles, life, etc. so I don't know how much that affected my rate but adding the P4 cost me $25/yr.
I'm sure it helped you a lot. State Farm is the most conservative insureres in the nation. They won't take you unless you are LOOOWWW risk. I got into an accident where the other person was deemed 100% at fault and they kicked me from auto for a year! I have my homeowners with Prudential.

I'll try and mention the name of the policy you are speaking about. I'll even switch homeowners if it will help. That I've never had a claim for car insurance or home owners insurance in a decade should help I would think. Thanks for the info!!!

***i was just skimming over State Farn's insurance and it does include liability. Does it cover items you own outside of your house. Say the bird falls from the sky and, God forbid, injured someone, do you know if homeowners insurance covers liability? Even for additional. Their homeowners is so cheep. Even without the additional liability in my zip code is $235 a year and then the bird would be an add on.

Anyway, if I can get it, better then $300 for one item.

Last edited:
I had an existing personal items insurance policy with State Farm for my wife's engagement ring. I contacted my agent and asked about adding the drone to the policy. She sent it to underwriting and they added my P4 to the existing policy for an additional $25/yr. I received a statement showing the premium increase and the coverage on the P4 but it was limited on info so I asked my agent for clarification and received this:

There is no deductible and the Personal Articles Policy has Broad Coverage. This means that everything is covered unless excluded. The only exclusion to your coverage would be if you do something intentionally or illegally to break or misuse the drone. On the first page of the policy notice you received, there is a disclaimer “We have the option of repairing or replacing the lost or damaged property at our cost. If we agree to a cash settlement, we will pay you no more than our cost to replace the item.”
For $25, that sounds like a very good value. The exclusion does give them some wiggle room, if they contend that flying beyond VLOS is "illegal" or you didn't register yourself as a UAS pilot with the FAA, or have written permission of the property owner to fly over the property where the loss occurred. They might need to see your .DAT, files like DJI, to establish your legal and proper use of the drone, but for $25, I'd take that risk. The real question would be what they do when the aircraft is unrecoverable, and/or lost in water. Do they then depreciate the value, like a car to low blue book, or buy you a brand new one? Is it depreciated value or replacement value? Big difference. They might claim their cost to replace a used P4 is half of retail. Still, a good return on $25!

I understand wanting to have insurance to fix or replace a lost or damaged Phantom, but what about liability insurance? Anyone have insurance to protect you if your drone falls out of the sky and hits a child or something?
Wear a hard hat! It's far more likely to be you! :eek:

I've never been fond of insurance companies but the one time I had to use State Farm they were extremely easy to work with. My step son rolled my truck and when they called about the settlement they asked me about accessories I had on the truck and as I named them off the number for the settlement just kept going up. There was no hassle about any of it, I was very pleased.

I hope to never need the insurance and I'm a pretty conservative pilot so I'm comfortable with the plan they are providing. It's a lot cheaper than DJI care and from what I hear about the DJI "customer service" its likely I'm better off with State Farm.

I hope to never need the insurance and I'm a pretty conservative pilot so I'm comfortable with the plan they are providing. It's a lot cheaper than DJI care and from what I hear about the DJI "customer service" its likely I'm better off with State Farm.
Absolutely!:cool:

Not sure why it's $25, I been with State Farm my whole life, it may have to do with where we live, or the fact that our new house we ended up using the In-house insurance carrier, it was like $1300 a year cheaper for same policy.
I just added my P4 and was told the policy is $1.75 per hundred insured, but in TX they cannot or will not do a policy for less then $5 a month. The best thing about this vs DJI is, one it's State Farm, so not only will they take care of you, they'll do it and make you feel ok afterwards, no BS. Also, DJI leaves a LOT to be desired, and we know how they treat customers, like crap.
Not to mention how my craft is covered if it flys away, I crash it, it's stolen, or what if just the remote gets gone or something? DJI won't help you, they insist DJI isn't insurance anyway but a warranty repair contract, and for the price, go somewhere else. I'd suggest the Personal asset risk policy vs a drone insurance for two reasons, one the insurance policy covers it if it's gone, stolen or flew away, and two the cost, those uav policies are a couple hundred a year, and this is not even mentioning the BS in arbitration vs "oh no, well let's get that policy out so we can get you a new aircraft ASAP!" Because that's what I want to hear when I'm down and out because my stuff is gone or broken, not "ok, well let's see if your covered, what's the circumstances again?"

Reactions: GadgetGuy
The biggest exclusion to the DJI Care is an unrecovered aircraft, which is the most likely scenario if you crashed when flying over water or past VLOS. Even the DJI included free warranty usually gets you a 30% discount off a replacement in those situations! Save your money and apply it to the other 70%! If you can get another form of a replacement policy for unrecovered aircraft, go for it!

Reactions: David Kraft
I just added my P4 and was told the policy is $1.75 per hundred insured, but in TX they cannot or will not do a policy for less then $5 a month.
Ironic, because the TX is the one piece of equipment you never crash or lose!

@RedHotPoker

Thanks very much. Just came across the forum last night and I love it. I've already told my cousin and a buddy about it.

Happy to have found it and be part of it.
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

It's an informative and interesting bunch of yahooligans. Haha
Perfect time to Enjoy that drone... ;-)

RedHotPoker

I just got my Phantom 4 yesterday and was curious if others bought the 1 or 2 year insurance coverage. I have not bought it as of yet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
I tried to set it up under my home insurance but the proposed terms were flaky. I decided to just bite the bullet on the DJI 1 yr so i wont feel hesitant letting my GF fly it around.
My insurance company is Encompass. I added as listed property my P4 and have good coverage, including theft and "mysterious disappearance". Crash and accident coverage. Of course, final judgement will come if I have a claim!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My company has liability insurance that covers anything I do while doing it for business, and every time I fly one of my UASs, I'm at the very least just practicing, which county for liability coverage. Liability coverage, for the record, is very cheap and you guys should get it. God forbid something did happen, even if you weren't being negligent, you will be held liable for injury caused by a wayward bird. And in the worst case scenario (and I'm amazed I dont hear this happening more and on the first one, FAA is gonna stomp), if you are found to be liable for someone getting hurt, that person could be found guilty of many serious crimes if found to be flying criminally (i.e. in a place it shouldn't be like over a park or any of the many things that define flying drones, especially in LA as criminal)/ I'm starting to stick to our meeting places only just to be safe. It's also cool. Sort of like a PhantomPilots.com but since we are face to face, everyone is nice to each other and we have a blast. Anyone in SoCal that wants to join our little club, let me know.

It used to be mainly planes, but now it's a mix of planes and quads and probably more quads an nobody is rude if you're a "noob", I put that in quotes because I find the word to be goofy and said by people that are goofy but it does sometimes have a place ;)

So DJI care or not? That is the question.
I'm live in southern California. Where is the meeting place?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4