Insurance for Phantom 4

Reaction score
I just got my Phantom 4 yesterday and was curious if others bought the 1 or 2 year insurance coverage. I have not bought it as of yet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just got my Phantom 4 yesterday and was curious if others bought the 1 or 2 year insurance coverage. I have not bought it as of yet.

The aircraft already comes with a 1 year warranty for anything other than pilot error that causes a crash. The insurance therefore only adds pilot error coverage, and DJI then won't bother determining if it was their fault. Put the money toward extra batteries instead. You are going to need them! Depending upon the damage in a pilot error crash, repair could be significantly less than the premium for replacing props and skids. Insurance is sold because it is profitable, not because it saves you money. Most people buying it are wasting their money paying for the claims filed by others. Most policies also have exclusions and limitations that prevent collecting on claims, such as recovering the aircraft. If you can't find it, they won't replace it! YMMV.

Last edited:
I have never bought an extended warranty ever. But I paid $50 twice for a depreciation waiver, on my SpYder RS-S insurance. ;-)

That was $100 spent, that was not necessary.
But, Insurance = peace of mind. Ha

RedHotPoker

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. Sounds like I will not get the insurance.

@Stokes,
Welcome to PhantomPilots, by the way. Lots of interesting topics here to devour.
Enjoy your new Phantom 4 and time well spent here in the forum.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Madkant
I have never bought an extended warranty ever. But I paid $50 twice for a depreciation waiver, on my SpYder RS-S insurance. ;-)

That was $100 spent, that was not necessary.
But, Insurance = peace of mind. Ha

RedHotPoker
Peace of mind, only until you actually file a claim, and then try and collect! :eek:
They make their money by finding reasons to deny claims, not by paying them...:p

Last edited:
Reactions: Sim597
State Farm offers it like 75$ a year 0$ deductible you crash it they replace it. Only covers the phantom no property or liability coverage tho

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

State Farm offers it like 75$ a year 0$ deductible you crash it they replace it. Only covers the phantom no property or liability coverage tho

I'd love to see the terms of that policy!

Reactions: David Kraft
Whats that State Farm policy called? Do you need homeowners with them first?

Honestly you'd have call get the details il get my policy out when I get off as far as having home owners I don't with them just the drone and my boat are covered my auto and home is through a different company they are just the only ones i know of who offer it you will talk to everyone and their brother before you get someone who even knows they offer it

I'd love to see the actual terms of the policy. Can you post it?

I tried to set it up under my home insurance but the proposed terms were flaky. I decided to just bite the bullet on the DJI 1 yr so i wont feel hesitant letting my GF fly it around.

@RedHotPoker

Thanks very much. Just came across the forum last night and I love it. I've already told my cousin and a buddy about it.

Happy to have found it and be part of it.

Reactions: RedHotPoker
I had an existing personal items insurance policy with State Farm for my wife's engagement ring. I contacted my agent and asked about adding the drone to the policy. She sent it to underwriting and they added my P4 to the existing policy for an additional $25/yr. I received a statement showing the premium increase and the coverage on the P4 but it was limited on info so I asked my agent for clarification and received this:

There is no deductible and the Personal Articles Policy has Broad Coverage. This means that everything is covered unless excluded. The only exclusion to your coverage would be if you do something intentionally or illegally to break or misuse the drone. On the first page of the policy notice you received, there is a disclaimer “We have the option of repairing or replacing the lost or damaged property at our cost. If we agree to a cash settlement, we will pay you no more than our cost to replace the item.”

I called State Farm at a local office here in Cali and they said they don't have any such insurance. What kind of insurance should I ask for to get this? Please. :)

I understand wanting to have insurance to fix or replace a lost or damaged Phantom, but what about liability insurance? Anyone have insurance to protect you if your drone falls out of the sky and hits a child or something?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl