Insurance for our "drones"?

Reaction score
My wife is suggesting insurance for my PV2+ in light of them crashing left and right due to the ESC issue. Do you guys have insurance for yours? If so, where/who did you go with? What was the process?

i've got liability insurance via fpvuk, but don't think that actually covers any damage/loss to my Phantom

Most insurers won't cover loss, only liability.
You might get it covered for theft, under house or car insurance.

If they ever did cover loss due to crashes etc, imagine the premiums.

Wouldn't cover it under homeowners, would hate to have it canceled over a claim for my quadcopter

Funky Phantom, if your Phantom is less than a month old you can get a 3 year policy for crashes, damage, dunking in water, or if it just quits working. The policy runs around $250.00 for a 3 year policy. Call Square Trade. They insure a lot of home electronics. I read it somewhere & figured I would call. The person I talked to looked it up & sure enough it is listed under misc. Unless they have added it, it did not show up on their site. The only thing they will not cover is a flyaway as they will need the damaged product. If it is over a month old, call them as I know they have made an exception for a few people. Good Luck.
http://www.squaretrade.com

Here is the AMA's coverage ( I recently joined)

AMA Liability Protection applies to bodily injury or property damage caused by an AMA member. Any AMA member who causes an accident resulting in an injury must report that accident immediately to AMA HQ.
• Applies to accidents arising from the modeling activities of model aircraft, rockets, cars and boats, in accordance with the AMA NATIONAL Safety Code(s).

The Accident/Medical coverage applies to injuries while engaged in model activity regardless of who causes the accident. It reimburses an AMA member in accordance with policy terms and conditions for only medical expenses (also the beneficiary for loss of life) incurred within 52 weeks of the accident. The Accident/Medical coverage works as follows:
• Provides up to $25,000 for medical expenses and $10,000 for dismemberment or death.
• Insures AMA member directly – does not require claim action by another person.
• Pays for eligible expenses upon submission of bills or other documents certifying cost of treatment and that injury was caused by model activity.
• Reimburses medical expenses only after submission to any other health plan, including Medicare.
• Has a $750.00 deductible.

Fire, Vandalism, and Theft Coverage
• Provides up to $1,000 for loss of aircraft models and accessories, including RC equipment. All theft loss claims must be accompanied by a police report. NOTE: Theft has to occur from a locked vehicle or residential dwelling. There must be physical evidence of violent forcible entry.

I think we're looking for insurance from accidental damage to the craft itself. I'll look into Larry L's suggestion of Square Trade.
Update: Trying out Square Trade. Picked up a 3 year policy to insure the cost of my Phantom from Amazon ($859) which includes Accidental Damage from handing (ADH). Cost is $164.99. We'll see how it goes.

AMA's insurance coverage is in excess of one's homeowner's or other insurance. And, it will only cover you if you follow the AMA rules (which many people do not).

Hope you do not need SQ but what I have heard from others, they are a reputable company. Has a great review & pretty good BB rating. For property damage, personal property, etc. AMA coverage can't be beat.

Hope you do not need SQ but what I have heard from others, they are a reputable company. Has a great review & pretty good BB rating. For property damage, personal property, etc. AMA coverage can't be beat.
I spoke with SQ and they do not cover accidental damage. They only cover mechanical failures due to normal wear and tear. However if a motor should fail mid flight they consider that accidental damage. So if you're looking for a parts and service warranty this is for you. I don't see this being for anybody since parts aren't expensive and most can DIY.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr