Installing remote on/off lights on phantom 2

Which product are you referring to?

There is a much more varied option on EBay. It is a LED light strip, with adhesive backing, that sticks on to the contour of the Phantom. Some are one color lights. What I'm referring to is a RGB a type of strip, controlled by an IR remote.

This means you,can only change the light patter/mode within a short distance from the drone. But, you can have MANY combinations from steady light colors, strobing, morphing from one color to others, chase lighting and MUCH more!

I've purchased one, but I haven't installed it yet. I have another one, for a home project, with a much longer light strip and it is just fantastic!

Rather than controlling just a few LEDs, you will light up your entire Phantom. I also purchased Red and Green, 3 LED light strips that I'm going to add for navigation.

I am also a fan of magnetic body lights. They are round LED lights that are available in strobe, constant and morph functions. They come with 2 watch batteries inside. You simply twist the top portion to turn on the LEDs. They are available in 3 mounting methods.mmthe original ones come with a small, circular, thin magnet that is adhered to the bottom of the light and an extra one. You could glue the free magnet to you phantom and stick on the light when needed. Just don't put one near the compass. My here is a version that has no mounting on it, that you will have to glue it on. I use hit melt glue as it doesn't damage the surface and it is removable. The other method is a clip on, for ears or clothing.

I can provide some sites depending on which kind that you prefer. You can get an idea of what they look like, by doing a Google search for: "magnetic round blinky lights". I use white blinking ones for upper and lower strobes. I also use Red and Green strobing ones to aid in night navigation. The strobing ones can be seen in daylight, for a surprising distance.

I Hope that this helps. It isn't what you were going for, but you might like it better.

PhantomFanatic said:

There is a much more varied option on EBay. It is a LED light strip, with adhesive backing, that sticks on to the contour of the Phantom. Some are one color lights. What I'm referring to is a RGB a type of strip, controlled by an IR remote.

This means you,can only change the light patter/mode within a short distance from the drone. But, you can have MANY combinations from steady light colors, strobing, morphing from one color to others, chase lighting and MUCH more!

I've purchased one, but I haven't installed it yet. I have another one, for a home project, with a much longer light strip and it is just fantastic!

Rather than controlling just a few LEDs, you will light up your entire Phantom. I also purchased Red and Green, 3 LED light strips that I'm going to add for navigation.

I am also a fan of magnetic body lights. They are round LED lights that are available in strobe, constant and morph functions. They come with 2 watch batteries inside. You simply twist the top portion to turn on the LEDs. They are available in 3 mounting methods.mmthe original ones come with a small, circular, thin magnet that is adhered to the bottom of the light and an extra one. You could glue the free magnet to you phantom and stick on the light when needed. Just don't put one near the compass. My here is a version that has no mounting on it, that you will have to glue it on. I use hit melt glue as it doesn't damage the surface and it is removable. The other method is a clip on, for ears or clothing.

I can provide some sites depending on which kind that you prefer. You can get an idea of what they look like, by doing a Google search for: "magnetic round blinky lights". I use white blinking ones for upper and lower strobes. I also use Red and Green strobing ones to aid in night navigation. The strobing ones can be seen in daylight, for a surprising distance.

I Hope that this helps. It isn't what you were going for, but you might like it better.

Hi thanks for the replay, i'm only using this lights for photo, so i only need on/off and some strong lights.
What om a bit confused about is if i can connect the linked product direct to my x8r an then the other sides cables direct to a light. (Is it +/- on the products secondary side)
/Regards

Prylar Bek said:

Sorry, my iPad doesn't show the URL, just my ebay.com. But, here is the search words you need to enter:

DJI PHANTOM FC40 Multi Color UFO Light kit+44 key IR Remote Controller

Although it says FC 40, it will work with all Phantoms.

chali said:
PhantomFanatic said:

Hi thanks for the replay, i'm only using this lights for photo, so i only need on/off and some strong lights.
What om a bit confused about is if i can connect the linked product direct to my x8r an then the other sides cables direct to a light. (Is it +/- on the products secondary side)
/Regards

Oh, are you wanting bright lights for night photography? Give me awhile to look at the product. If it is for night photography, I doubt you will find any light bright enough to illuminate the ground. But, I must be confused as I see no reason for RC of the light, unless you are trying to reduce battery drain.

What I suggested, on eBay, won't do that, nor will the body lights, give me some more info., such as will you be shooting video, photos or both. Photos could be possible with a strobe tube, but timing it to the camera will be s nightmare. As for video, I know of no light, that would work that the Phantom can lift. I have one possibility, but I haven't tried to lift it.

My gram scale is at my house, but I'll purchase another. (I need it anyway.). A P2, non- vision lift capacity is between 400-500 grams, without gimbal and a Hero. Anyone know what a Z 3D gimbal and a Hero 3'weighs?

What I suggest is to first ignore your controlling the light for now and see if you can find a light that suits your needs and one that is light (pun) enough to lift, then you will,need a bracket to aim it. A LED will not be enough light. At what height will you be filming?

Also, I assume all 8 channels are being used? If so, and it seems you have a 9 channel transmitter, why not buy a 9 CH. receiver? Or, am I missing something here?

PhantomFanatic said:
What I suggest is to first ignore your controlling the light for now and see if you can find a light that suits your needs and one that is light (pun) enough to lift, then you will,need a bracket to aim it. A LED will not be enough light. At what height will you be filming?

Also, I assume all 8 channels are being used? If so, and it seems you have a 9 channel transmitter, why not buy a 9 CH. receiver? Or, am I missing something here?

Hi

The receiver is 16 channel, (8 channels gos to phantom 2 controller)
its not the light itself i'm wondering about. (i have the light, i'm going to use 12vdc g4 led for now. ) it if the on/off will work connected to the x8r receiver and if i can connect the light directly to the on/off switch linkt in previous post.
if i look on the on/off switch connection schema, it dont show that i can connect the light direkt to it using the on/off switch secondary side. ( the real question is if the secondary side gives +/- or if the - have to connect to the battery direct.

(Sorry for my poor english grammar but i hope you understand what i mean)

/Regards

I'm afraid I am having trouble understanding.

What is the x8r receiver that you are referring to? Let me see if I have this right: You have a 16 channel receiver in your Phantom and 8 channels are used. That would imply that you have 8 free channels.

But, I'm assuming your Taranis X9D plus, is your transmitter. If so, it is a 9 channel transmitter as the name would imply? If so, you have a free channel. If not, how many channels does your control transmitter have?

The link you first gave lists several products. Can you give a link for the product?

Part of the problem is I don't know your location. Another is the LED you speak of using. Do you have a link to it? How many watts is the LED? I think I understand this part: You want to take photos, using this light, not video., so, you want to turn on the light, take a photo, then turn the light off. Right? Is this for night photography? Usually a LED doesn't give off as much light as a flash does. Even with a flash, the light is usually only sufficient for 20 feet. Yet, we see flashes going off, at events, when the photographer is in the stands, hundreds of feet away!

I would really like to see this LED light if you can give me a link to it and the other product. Forgive me, but I am trying to help! If anyone else has a better grasp on this, by all means speak up! :)

I'll add this: If your LED is even 0.5 W, you should not use the receiver output to control the LED. I would let the output drive a minature relay and that will drive the LED.

My concern is that even a 10W LED will dramatically drain your battery and having experimented with minature LEDs up to 100W, I can't see anything illuminating the ground for a photo, but a 100W LED, but you say you have the right LED. So, what is the wattage?

I hate the language problem. I want to help you!

Hi again

this is the product i like to connected to the receiver (16 channel ) https://www.dpcav.com/xcart/R-C-Control ... witch.html
the radio is also 16 channel.
Sorry i have no link to the light i will be using. its only using 2.7watt butt gives enough light for me filming. (im filming not taking pictures)
Later on it will be 2x3watt but for now this will do the job.

the only concern i have is if the on/off product gives 12vdc +/- on the secondary side.

/Regards

Basically it just a radio controlled [solid state] relay.

Some would also refer to it as having 'dry contacts' so you'll have to supply your own voltage to be switched.

The specs. indicate you're limited to less than 30V at 10 amps maximum.
This will be no problem for LED lighting.

Now I know what you are talking about. Part of it, anyway. Do you have any details on the LED? Will you power it from the onboard battery? I would like to see the LED if you have a link.

Edit: If you are using just a LED, you will need a current limiting resistor. You may know, that but I wanted to be sure.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl