Installed FPV and now can't connect to GPS

Reaction score
I have a Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse H3-3D and just installed a few upgrades. Namely:

1) 5.8GHz ImmersionRC 600mW TX
2) iOSD Mini (also updated the firmware to v1.06)
3) DJI Phantom 1 or 2 Extended Wide Landing Gear
4) Black Pearl 7CH RX
5) 5.8 GHz Cloverleaf Circular Polarized Antenna Set (RHCP) FlySight CPA5G

I watched this video to do the install:
http://youtu.be/TL8pqtEDuos

As well as this video for the H3-3D install:
http://youtu.be/yOoU-RftvV8

I tested everything out and it works fine, except once I start the Phantom...there are NO green lights at all or yellow to try and get satellites. Has anyone had this issue before? The Black Pearl shows the satellite icon blinking on and off repeatedly, but I only see ATT in the lower left hand corner. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the new placement of the GPS chip on the new landing gear. The post is too wide to fully get around it, but it is attached.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Installed FPV and now can't connect to Satellites

Its the compass that is on the leg not the GPS. The GPS is inside the top dome part of the phantom. Open it up and check the GPS cable is attached after your mod.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Thanks for the response IrishSights.

I was able to pull more cable out of the internal housing and got the compass mounted correctly on the new landing skid.

I also checked and the GPS plug is fully plugged in. Even tried it with it connected and the top not fully tightened to make sure it wasn't disconnecting.

I'm still having the issue of once the unit turns on, I get the normal series of initial lights for booting up, then no lights at all to check for GPS. It should be blinking yellow till it finds GPS and it's not. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Ok, I just started up the Phantom and waited over a minute and got the red and yellow lights alternating. That means the compass needs calibration, according to the LED flight indicator chart. I switched S2 up and down 6 times and the light stayed yellow. I rotated the phantom 360 and the light turned green and then shut off. No further lights came on.

At that point I started the motors and the front LED lights (right above the gimbal) stay on as solid red.

The flight indicator says that means (error). Any idea why it allowed me to calibrate the compass and give me a green light and then nothing!?! Please help :-/

quadohio said:
Ok, I just started up the Phantom and waited over a minute and got the red and yellow lights alternating. That means the compass needs calibration, according to the LED flight indicator chart. I switched S2 up and down 6 times and the light stayed yellow. I rotated the phantom 360 and the light turned green and then shut off. No further lights came on.

At that point I started the motors and the front LED lights (right above the gimbal) stay on as solid red.

The flight indicator says that means (error). Any idea why it allowed me to calibrate the compass and give me a green light and then nothing!?! Please help :-/

ok a couple of things.

1. you mentioned a new landing skid? Yet you didn't mention this in your original post. So, what mods did you actually make?
2. Did you move, re-orientate the compass which is on the landing skid?
3. When it talks about compass recalibration did you do this within the RC Assistant (as opposed to the compass dance, which is when you turn the airframe in 360 degrees about its horizontal and vertical axis').
4. Go into the Phantom assistant and calibrate your compass and check your IMU whilst you're at it.

Hope that helps.

Bmews

BMEWS said:
ok a couple of things.

1. you mentioned a new landing skid? Yet you didn't mention this in your original post. So, what mods did you actually make?
2. Did you move, re-orientate the compass which is on the landing skid?
3. When it talks about compass recalibration did you do this within the RC Assistant (as opposed to the compass dance, which is when you turn the airframe in 360 degrees about its horizontal and vertical axis').
4. Go into the Phantom assistant and calibrate your compass and check your IMU whilst you're at it.

Hope that helps.

Bmews

Hi Bmews,

To answer your questions;

1) I forgot to mention the new skid in the numbered list, but did mention the placement of the compass on the new landing gear in the paragraph below it. That is what the 2nd post was about as well.

2) I did move the compass when I installed the new, wider landing skid. It's in the correct location now.
dy7y3agu.jpg

3) I didn't do it in the RC Assistant...only the "compass dance" (which is the perfect name for it BTW, lol).

4) I'll give it a try in the software now.

Every time I hook it up, I get "ERROR[27] GPS not calibrated, or magnetic field interference. Please calibrate GPS again in good condition."

The readings of the IMU say the following, but looks like the "Compass(raw) Mod" is about 50-200 over what it's supposed to be reading (depending where it's pointed) according to the yellow tip window.
hapyseqe.jpg

I'm thinking I need to demagnetize the compass and then calibrate it. When working on the FPV install, I used the green screwdriver that comes with the phantom near the compass. I noticed that it has a magnetized charge when near screws. Could be enough to throw it out of whack?

I'm also going to watch this vid for any other info. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is.

Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCT1rRE_UIg

Ok, I filmed this showing what the issue is. Granted there are no propellers on it, that has no effect on why the GPS LEDs aren't coming on. Switching the S2 to calibrate the compass doesn't do anything either :-(

http://youtu.be/fmOmSYSGCLU

ok. you have no lights on at all underneath. What cables did you disconnect? You should have some lights on so it may be that there's a cable that needs to be plugged back in somewhere.

Bmews

I checked all the cables and everything is plugged in correctly.

I am curious as to the anti-interference circuit board that came with the H3-3D gimbal. Do you think that would have any effect on the GPS signal?

I would switch back to the original landing gear, but since I soldered the ImmersionRC cables to the inside, I won't be able to get that out without cutting the leg hole due to the large plug that goes into the transmitter.

Some fly with it, some without. I fly with the anti-interference board fitted. I don't think that's your problem. For me (and i'm not saying i'm right) you've disconnected, not correctly wired or done something internally. The clue is that you have no lights on. Maybe you've not connected something in the Naza? Hopefully, you took some before/after pictures so you have a comparison to work with?

Bmews

Just wanted to update here in case anyone else has this issue.

I took the P2 to a completely different field/location and setup the FPV and everything like normal. Still no lights at this point. I did CSC and the two front lights turned solid red. I elevated to about 1 meter and the FPV monitor (Black Pearl) said I had GPS lock. I elevated to about 100 meters and the monitor said I had GPS lock to 10 satellites!!

I had no issues flying and even went through 2 battery changes and flew as far as 400 meters with no issues at all. I plugged the P2 into the computer this morning and the rear lights are now working again and the Compass (raw) mod amount was about 1,000 less than yesterday. I have NO idea how everything magically got fixed, but it did and I'm happy...for now.

I'll post back if anything goes awry in the next few weeks. Thanks for all of those who pitched in their suggestions. Great to know there is a caring community to help out.

hi i was curious if you got your dji phantom 2 working correctly yet? i saw a video you posted up I'm not sure if you did any wiring errors or what? but i also have purchased those same wider landing gears for h3-3d gimbal but it looks like your compass is way to low!!! on the new landing gear!!! should be half way not to close to the bottom of the landing gear! cause it looks like you stretched out the wire for the compass to low when you installed the new landing gear your suppose to measure and install the compass exactly almost how it was on the original stock gear before you removed it! heres my youtube vid on where the compass should be

link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YsuRaxaeI

or try this vid he's good and explains how to install the landing gears and where and how the new compass should be placed

link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUbbQcsnp7I

so i really hope this helps and good luck

Hi Chino! I still have the compass installed low on the new landing gear and the LED's have started working again. I believe I messed up from the start by trying the green screwdriver that came with the Phantom on the compass screws. That screwdriver is actually magnetized and set my compass WAY off base.

I used a refrigerator magnet and tried degaussing the compass. Then I plugged it into the computer and with the RC assistant software (for Mac) I did basic and advanced calibration. Then I took the quad to a completely new location and took it up for a test flight. The LED's weren't working at the time, but my black pearl monitor and iOSD told me it was connected to GPS and locked on to 7 satellites. It flew fine and landed fine.

The next day I turned on the phantom and the LED's were working fine again! It's been running perfect ever since. No idea why it did that, but it is working as it did before without mounting the compass any higher like you suggested.

Wonder why that is? Could it be from the new calibration?

quadohio said:
Hi Chino! I still have the compass installed low on the new landing gear and the LED's have started working again. I believe I messed up from the start by trying the green screwdriver that came with the Phantom on the compass screws. That screwdriver is actually magnetized and set my compass WAY off base.

I used a refrigerator magnet and tried degaussing the compass. Then I plugged it into the computer and with the RC assistant software (for Mac) I did basic and advanced calibration. Then I took the quad to a completely new location and took it up for a test flight. The LED's weren't working at the time, but my black pearl monitor and iOSD told me it was connected to GPS and locked on to 7 satellites. It flew fine and landed fine.

The next day I turned on the phantom and the LED's were working fine again! It's been running perfect ever since. No idea why it did that, but it is working as it did before without mounting the compass any higher like you suggested.

Wonder why that is? Could it be from the new calibration?

thats strange i really can't say cause i don't have a fpv system installed on mine yet but getting one soon just a simple plug and play from helipad.com so won't have to go threw taking the phantom apart! but going back to your problem i also used the the green screw driver that came with the phantom used it on taking apart the landing gear and the compass!!! and before the flight i did what you did went and did the imu basic and advanced and everything worked fine and normal. but please i really suggest getting your compass back on the right position as it was on the stock landing gear and run another imu both basic and advanced and see what happens and hopefully you'll be back up and running correctly again. hey talk to you tuber "L BS" he's the guy in the second link i sent you to take a look at! send him a message he's really good and might be able to help you!! cause he gave me advice when i had trouble on my phantom 2. he's a good help

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie