installed a payload drop for the P3A

As far as the legalities of dropping objects from aircraft in the USA, this is covered under FAR 91.15.

No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

You can drop objects as long as it is done safely.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I'm trying to add an additional servo to my P3P also and I came to the same conclusion of having to purchase a $250 dollar landing gear just for the control module. I'm curious however, how did you control the action or travel distance i.e when the servo knew it had traveled enough and stopped in either direction? Also, I've been putting off purchasing the full landing gear hoping to find someone like you that can tell me what the Make and Model the control module had on it. If you get that info, I bet I can find some Taiwan Co. that would love to off-load about 50 to 200 pcs. for little to nothing. Everyone is grabbing the P3's right now and many serious RC guys would love to add a servo or two to make something(s) happen. Like me! They would go like hot cakes on Elay or Amazone. Nice Job

You could build an arduino or particle core device to control a stepper motor.

What prevents something like this from working on the Phantom 3 other than different screw holes?
Landing Gear Skid Protective F DJI Phantom 3 2 Vision Electric Retractable Skids
This is all that is needed and then maybe some adjustments on the PAF limit time=Off-Load Hook travel. But that's in the software. I want to know what's under the heat shrink going to X2 :smilingimp: Therein lies the solution for most likely a few bucks.
dual servo control module.jpg

Although it may draw attention, it is not illegal. It's been done for yrs. 1979 may dad had a fixed wing that would drop plastic bombs full of flour at a hula hoop he had set up.
As far as the bad guys, I think they are already light yrs ahead of us here in the forum. I don't see us teaching them anything.
....after 2nd thought... op here might get invited to the White House. Obama invited that kid who made a look alike bomb.
Wrong, it is illegal. Can't drop any objects from anything that flies. Exceptions are only skydiversrs and crop dusting. There have been other posts discussing this.

I'm hoping the new commercial rules next year incorporates provisions for SAR situations.

Wrong, it is illegal. Can't drop any objects from anything that flies. Exceptions are only skydiversrs and crop dusting. There have been other posts discussing this.

I'm hoping the new commercial rules next year incorporates provisions for SAR situations.
In 1979 we didn't have the restrictions we have now. the original law or rule was written for "pilots" and not intended for model aircraft. With the increased problems with terrorism, the FAA as they did recently over stepped their bounds, did a little redefinition in an attempt to now include models.
Funny you bring this up. About 10 yrs ago I purchased an electric rtf fixed wing that dropped bombs over the counter. Illegal, that is possible but they were selling a bunch of them.

Last edited:
Why not just buy one yourself to copy? You'll make your money back on the 50-200 pcs. you can sell to the serious guys.

Another poster who has not read the CFR.

A simple Google search by my 10 y.o. son finds these:

Helicopter Ball Drop
10 Steps to the Perfect Helicopter Ball Drop
Golf Ball Drop Raffle

Guess the FAA hasn't found out about them yet.

Well, you get the idea.

Another poster who has not read the CFR.
If your not dropping anything Just like if your not flying a boxed drone bought for collecting, it may be there as a collectible. I have about 50 GI Joes new in the box over 20 years old. If the device is used as a flight safety release tool, it's not breaking any rules. Might be new but if the FAA wants to use any article or rule, believe me, they can find something wrong no matter how perfect your obeying the rules. So...

If your not dropping anything Just like if your not flying a boxed drone bought for collecting, it may be there as a collectible. I have about 50 GI Joes new in the box over 20 years old. If the device is used as a flight safety release tool, it's not breaking any rules. Might be new but if the FAA wants to use any article or rule, believe me, they can find something wrong no matter how perfect your obeying the rules. So...

I have no idea what you mean????

I have no idea what you mean????
I mean, if you have a bong or rapping papers, but they are not used or are not filled with residues, they are legal. So, having something and how it is used are not the same thing.

Is this release manually controlled from the transmitter somehow? Reason I ask is because I have the Mars parachute system and wondering if possible to deploy parachute manually from transmitter.

Why bother modifying this to have a payload device? What are you gonna do deliver drugs?

You do realize that dropping payloads from a drone is something that draws the attention of the FAA, right?

Not really.

It's been going on much longer than you know ;) You just haven't heard about it because of the lack of media attention!

Have had a pilots license for years and years and never during a check ride or BFR have I ever heard anything but the original FAR 91.15 referenced. FAR 91.15 clearly allows for dropping of objects if "reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

Have also specifically discussed FAR 91.15 with multiple FAA examiners and CFIs and not one has ever mentioned any other applicable regulation.

So I would really like to understand how this could be construed as illegal. On what basis? What in the FAR/AIM or any FAA regulation?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Have had a pilots license for years and years and never during a check ride or BFR have I ever heard anything but the original FAR 91.15 referenced. FAR 91.15 clearly allows for dropping of objects if "reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property."

Have also specifically discussed FAR 91.15 with multiple FAA examiners and CFIs and not one has ever mentioned any other applicable regulation.

So I would really like to understand how this could be construed as illegal. On what basis? What in the FAR/AIM or any FAA regulation?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I agree. I'm not a pilot but there are MANY cases where objects can be dropped from a helicopter. Actually a job my father did years ago they had to drop shelters, materials, ect. from special helicopter on top of some mountains in Arizona as there were no access roads to the top for a new cell site installation.. pretty cool looking helicopter too

i controlled the action the same way that you control the landing gear the 3 way switch on the top left of the controller you have to click it back and forth twice to close it ( and load wutever u want to drop) and then when ur flying u click it back and forth once to open the payload mech......i would show you a video right now but I'm replacing the ESC main board and motors on it because apparently if you ******* breath to hard on this thing it shits the bed like a red headed step child. anyway ya my motors come in tomorrow once i got it all hooked up ill attach a video. oh and distance doesn't matter as long as you have a connection with the bird you can drop at any time....the control mod is just the one that they sell on the site that i linked on my first post (i'm no genius with this kinda **** i was an HVAC tech so i just got a lotta commen sense when it comes to this kinda ****) did more of a "ya that'l work" kinda approach to it

oh and btw dont use the servos that come with the landing gear......use the one that the payload drop mech comes with.....you will notice that the wires are the same color as well.....if you dont you will be flipping that switch till ur fingers bleed and every once and a while u will get lucky....if you use the payload drop one it works first time every time

If a dude named Abdul suddenly shows up on here wanting to know how it works, tell him your not sure...LOL

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20