Installation AVL58 and other things

Reaction score
Im soon about to install the AVL58 TX module and the IOSD Mini module, where is a good place to install it? I guess the AVL58 can't be installed inside the phantom 2 due to the antenna, or?

Also i will be using the FPV Hub kit to connect everything, will that fit inside the Phantom 2 together with the IOSD Mini module and the Gimbal interference filter?

And the CAN bus connector located outside on the landing gear should be relocated to the inside of the Phantom 2, am i correct?

I actually read in the FPV hub kit manual that it is not recommended to install that one inside the Phantom? To me it sounds like not a good idea to install such a thing on the outside?

IMG_0307.jpg

This isn't my photo, but mines look exactly like this. It doesn't have to be arranged this way, but the connections supplied with this is pretty short and IMO has not much room to work with.

I used double-sided mounting tape to stick them with (I ended up losing the sticker with the serial on the bottom on the phantom this way) and it holds up pretty well unless it crashes.. then the AVL58 usually falls off for me.

Okay thanks, but can't the iosd mini and the FPV board be installed inside the Phantom 2? And if i read the manual correct there is two different versions of the gimbal and one of them is mounted the other way around so that the gimbal would end up where all the modules are in this picture, or am have i read it wrong maybe?

By the way are the Naza-M v2 assistant software V2.20 the latest Version for the Phantom 2?

You can put it on inside.. I kept mines outside mainly because of potential "updates" that may needs to be done (you need to connect to the iOSD mini directly to update) and unscrewing all those screws to update seems painful, but there hasn't been an update so far that I've owned my iOSD.. actually I might rearrange mines to put inside as well.

Can't really answer gimbal question.

Latest assistant software is 3.2.

The Phantom said:
No i meant the Naza-M V2 Assistant software. Its for the Naza-M V2 unit.

The NAZA in your Phantom 2 requires the Assistant software he linked above, the one you're asking about is for NAZA's in P1 and other multirotors that use that flight controller. Unless you installed a retail NAZA V2 or cannibalized one from a P1, the 2.20 Assistant software you're looking at won't work (P2 has things unique to it that require special firmware and assistant).

Okay i see, but the Phantom 2 has the Naza-M V2 flight controller, am i not right? Or there are other things in addition in the P2 that requires that specific Assistant software mentioned?

By the way, do you guys have the CAN bus that is located on the landing gear re placed to inside the Phantom 2? I saw that in a Youtube video.

If you open it up and it's orange, then yes, it is. :lol:

As far as I know, the Phantom 1.1.1 and up uses that Naza-M V2.

So Phantom and controller assistant can be found here.

iOSD Mini assistant can be found here.

I'm pretty sure the Phantom assistant will be used the most, but for initial setup I'd have the iOSD and controller software handy plus you can tinker with it if you'd like.

What?? So all of the Phantom 2 doesn't have the Naza-M V2, i thought it was the Phantom 1 that had some other flight controller and that they changed to V2 in the Phantom 2? So is there a way to see from outside which flight controller it has, for example by the serial number?

Are this DJI company stupid or what?? How hard do they tighten their screws? I have one screw left before its open, but the last one is so hard and now the screw is almost round. How the heck shall i get this screw off? I get so frustrated at them, for what reason do they tighten them so extremely super hard so the whole screw eventually gets round and can't be opened. Any ideas what to do? And the thing is made of plastic so i must be a bit gentle.

I was able to lift the top of a bit so i got a look inside, my flight controller is yellow but it doesn't say V2 on it like the V2 controllers that they sell in the stores.
Do all Phantom 2 flight controllers look like mine without the V2 word on it? Is it still a V2 even though it doesn't read that?

The Phantom said:
Okay i see, but the Phantom 2 has the Naza-M V2 flight controller, am i not right? Or there are other things in addition in the P2 that requires that specific Assistant software mentioned?

The physical hardware is the same (NAZA) but as I mentioned the P2 does have unique features (e.g. the intelligent battery) that require the P2 firmware and assistant software.

The "NAZA V2" controller hardware has been around since the P1 and is used on many other multirotors, the firmware is what makes the P2 version different.

The Phantom said:
Are this DJI company stupid or what?? How hard do they tighten their screws? I have one screw left before its open, but the last one is so hard and now the screw is almost round. How the heck shall i get this screw off? I get so frustrated at them, for what reason do they tighten them so extremely super hard so the whole screw eventually gets round and can't be opened. Any ideas what to do? And the thing is made of plastic so i must be a bit gentle.

having the exact same problem. i removed 15 screws without a problem and number 16 was impossible... its a small one, x... and now its rounded and cant remove the shell... any idea or how to remove this last screw?

chapsrlz said:
The Phantom said:

having the exact same problem. i removed 15 screws without a problem and number 16 was impossible... its a small one, x... and now its rounded and cant remove the shell... any idea or how to remove this last screw?

There's a few ways to attack that problem including:
-Using a small flat blade screwdriver/bit
-Using a small torx head screwdriver/bit
-Gluing or otherwise fusing something small to the screw that will allow you to then turn it (e.g. a small diameter bit)
-VERY carefully drilling out the inner part of the offending screw head

A large part of the reason you both (and many other owners) have such trouble with the tiny screws at the tips of the arms is that you wait to unscrew them last...which means the little bit of torque applied by the loosened upper shell makes them near-impossible to remove. I highly suggest always taking those screws out before any of the hex screws, then work your way inward on each arm.

I always remove those tiny screws first, then do all the pairs near the motor mounts, and then finally the inner ones by the legs (and the reverse order when reassembling). Once you get the immediate issue resolved, try that pattern next time and I think you'll find the tiny screws to be much easier to work with...sometimes pinching the top and bottom halves together nearby helps too.

In fact, you may find that reinserting some of the nearby hex screws helps get your current stripped ones loose.

For the record, I do agree that DJI was short-sighted in using such a soft non-ferrous metal for those 4 screws. I haven't stripped any of mine but they still drive me bonkers because they don't stick to my magnetic bits and often end up on the floor.

OI Photography said:
A large part of the reason you both (and many other owners) have such trouble with the tiny screws at the tips of the arms is that you wait to unscrew them last...which means the little bit of torque applied by the loosened upper shell makes them near-impossible to remove. I highly suggest always taking those screws out before any of the hex screws, then work your way inward on each arm.

-bows to OI Photography-

You saved me! I had that problem as well on my set-up stages a few months ago, ended up stripping that last screw and installed everything while prying the Phantom open (I would've cried if it was on the FPV plug side, but it wasn't!). Just tried it right now and got it out with a flat screwdriver with no effort. I thought I had a spare screw on hand, but I guess not so I ended up screwing the stripped screw back in. :lol:

thanks oiphotography

ill try again tomorrow p.

Glad it worked for you, UrAwuL :D And best of luck to you chapsrlz!

It's pretty much the same principle for why you should remove the lugnuts on a car wheel in a star pattern instead of just going around the wheel.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic