Install OpenWRT WebUI on Repeater/P2V+

FYI: I did a screencast and posted it on YouTube... First post has been updated.

Also, I noted a slight variance between the Repeater and P2V+ installs and have updated the instructions accordingly.

Enjoy!
LK

Has anyone tied to decode/read the telemetry on port (er, if I recall, 2100)? An arduino library to do this would be crazy useful. In fact there's already one available for the GPS module, but of course you need to be plugged into it with serial. Flytrex is undoubtedly using the same library, but if it were adapted to work over wifi from the repeater you wouldn't need to fly the data recorder at all.

Hi Linuxkidd,

Ran into some snag, hope you can help.

Follow the instruction and all seem well.

laptop able to open to facebook, google, and connect to wifi extenter.

type in "opkg update", I get "Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/barrier_breaker.

type in "opkg remove firewall 3", I get "No packages removed."

type in "opkg install luci", I get "Unknown package 'luci'.

Collected errors:
* parse_from_stream_nomalloc: Missing new line character at end of file!
* opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package luci.

Any idea how I can move forward?

The first thing that jumps out is that there is no space in 'firewall3'. However, this shouldn't have any impact on the second error.

I would re-run the 'opkg update' command, then re-test the 'opkg install luci' command before removing firewall3. This should result in the conflict messages as seen in my screencast video. If it does, then proceed with the removal of firewall3 and luci install.

My suspicion is that the first 'opkg update' only got part of the list for some reason.

Let me know your outcome...
LK

linuxkidd said:
The first thing that jumps out is that there is no space in 'firewall3'. However, this shouldn't have any impact on the second error.

I would re-run the 'opkg update' command, then re-test the 'opkg install luci' command before removing firewall3. This should result in the conflict messages as seen in my screencast video. If it does, then proceed with the removal of firewall3 and luci install.

My suspicion is that the first 'opkg update' only got part of the list for some reason.

Let me know your outcome...
LK

Hi LK,

Thanks for getting back and help.

I tried again as suggested (disable lighttpd again, i re-enable it after failed installing). Got the SSH Tunnel setup, saw the dropbear listening on port 80.

Verify with "netstat -pln"
ran "opkg update"
"Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ ... ackages.gz.
"Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/barrier_breaker.

ran "opkg install luci"
"Unknown package 'luci'.
Collected errors:

network all work ok. I ping 'downloads.openwrt.org' from Putty connection and got responds.

yawnalot29 said:
Hi LK,

Thanks for getting back and help.

I tried again as suggested (disable lighttpd again, i re-enable it after failed installing). Got the SSH Tunnel setup, saw the dropbear listening on port 80.

Verify with "netstat -pln"
ran "opkg update"
"Downloading http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/ ... ackages.gz.
"Updated list of available packages in /var/opkg-lists/barrier_breaker.

ran "opkg install luci"
"Unknown package 'luci'.
Collected errors:

network all work ok. I ping 'downloads.openwrt.org' from Putty connection and got responds.

Hello yawnsalot29...
I sent you a PM yesterday... Looking forward to hearing back and getting this issue resolved.

Thanks,
LK

Slightly off- topic, but....

Is there any way to reset the root password on the range extender via wifi connection?

I bought a used range extender and a previous owner had apparently reset the password. I see procedures for using an Ethernet connection, but nothing that can be done with a wireless connection.

Dalite said:

Is there any way to reset the root password on the range extender via wifi connection?

I bought a used range extender and a previous owner had apparently reset the password. I see procedures for using an Ethernet connection, but nothing that can be done with a wireless connection.

I'm afraid you're a bit SOL on that one.. Even the 'reset' button that's on the Repeater only clears the wireless config, making it ready for re-binding to the quadcopter. I would reach out to the seller and ask if they know what the password is.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
LK

linuxkidd said:
Dalite said:

I'm afraid you're a bit SOL on that one.. Even the 'reset' button that's on the Repeater only clears the wireless config, making it ready for re-binding to the quadcopter. I would reach out to the seller and ask if they know what the password is.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...
LK

No need to apologize. I already tried everything I knew, but no luck.

A while back, I did a DD-WRT configuration to make an XBox 360 see a wireless access point as an Ethernet connection, and may try to do the same here. The config makes the wireless access point look like an Ethernet wired connection, so the $99 Micro$oft wireless adapter isn't needed for wireless access. Maybe, but still doubtful.

Working with the seller now to see if the password can be recovered from who he bought the setup from.... Drama...

Hi,

You could use hydra to retrieve the root password.

hydra -s 22 -l root -P /wordfiles/dictionary.txt -e ns -vV -t 16 192.168.1.2 ssh ( for the repeater )
hydra -s 22 -l root -P /wordfiles/dictionary.txt -e ns -vV -t 16 192.168.1.1 ssh ( for the camera )

Kind regards,

Javier

javier said:
Hi,

You could use hydra to retrieve the root password.

hydra -s 22 -l root -P /wordfiles/dictionary.txt -e ns -vV -t 16 192.168.1.2 ssh ( for the repeater )
hydra -s 22 -l root -P /wordfiles/dictionary.txt -e ns -vV -t 16 192.168.1.1 ssh ( for the camera )

Kind regards,

Javier

I think the proper wording would be: You could use hydra to brute-force (guess) the root password. Retrieve makes it sound like it's just pulling the password right off the device...

LK

Hi LK,

Yes, thanks for the correction.
One could reset the root password with passwd if we start the device in runlevel 1.
Could you give it a try LK ?

Kind regards,

Javier

javier said:
Hi LK,

Yes, thanks for the correction.
One could reset the root password with passwd if we start the device in runlevel 1.
Could you give it a try LK ?

Kind regards,

Javier

Unfortunately, there's no know method for console access (required for runlevel 1). The only way into the unit is via the WiFi connection (as far as we know at this time). I've even probed common points inside w/ a TTL to RS-232 adapter.. While I did get some output, it was the same status hex output provided to the Vision app.

LK

Hello I new here! Names Clancey, and i am very interested is what you guys are doing and are amazed at what you have accomplished so far, I am interested in changing/adding functions to the Phantom vision 2/+ Camera and are wanting to Change the camera out completely with one that's better for Ariel imagery in my case "Stills" I'd like to see this be done, My idea is simple, re configuring two of the Phantom vision 2 repeaters, to act as a wireless bridge, for a third party camera, the type of camera is called "Sony LENS G" Model# "DSC-QX10" This camera is Wi-Fi only and has no sort of video outputs for us hobbyists who love FPV, much like the Phantom vision 2, the camera is a wireless access point with an SSID and MAC address of witch you can connect to using apple or android based devices,
example you are able to control all the functionally of the camera using the using apple or android based devices,
I like the ability to zoom in and out from the GS, just need to increase the range, between the tablet based device and the Camera, the video viewing quality is amazing and no lag much like the phantom, but instead of loosing quality when moving out of range it just drops down frame rate and then out completely, The range between the camera and the ipad is about 8 feet before it drops, I have done a test using two reconfigured TP-link repeaters/range extenders and was able to get about 40-50 feet and are now looking into reconfiguring the Phantoms repeaters, Thoughts are welcome :)

CA.

DC inspections said:
Hello I new here! Names Clancey, and i am very interested is what you guys are doing and are amazed at what you have accomplished so far, I am interested in changing/adding functions to the Phantom vision 2/+ Camera and are wanting to Change the camera out completely with one that's better for Ariel imagery in my case "Stills" I'd like to see this be done, My idea is simple, re configuring two of the Phantom vision 2 repeaters, to act as a wireless bridge, for a third party camera, the type of camera is called "Sony LENS G" Model# "DSC-QX10" This camera is Wi-Fi only and has no sort of video outputs for us hobbyists who love FPV, much like the Phantom vision 2, the camera is a wireless access point with an SSID and MAC address of witch you can connect to using apple or android based devices,
example you are able to control all the functionally of the camera using the using apple or android based devices,
I like the ability to zoom in and out from the GS, just need to increase the range, between the tablet based device and the Camera, the video viewing quality is amazing and no lag much like the phantom, but instead of loosing quality when moving out of range it just drops down frame rate and then out completely, The range between the camera and the ipad is about 8 feet before it drops, I have done a test using two reconfigured TP-link repeaters/range extenders and was able to get about 40-50 feet and are now looking into reconfiguring the Phantoms repeaters, Thoughts are welcome :)

CA.

What you describe is completely possible. Since the DJI Repeaters are basically running an open source Router firmware... it's quite easy to reconfigure in a variety of ways.

I'm assuming since you mention 2 repeaters, that you'd want one on the phantom (near the camera) and one on the ground. This seems to be the best option for increasing the range w/o altering the camera..

• P2 mounted repeater:
    1. Change the IP of the Repeater from it's default of 192.168.1.2 to something NOT ON the same IP range of your Camera's WiFi
    2. On the FC200_XXXXXX WiFi config:
      • Change the FC200_XXXXXX SSID to match the SSID expected by your ground based Repeater (i.e. mimic a Phantom's camera SSID)
      • Change the Mode from 'Client WDS' to 'AP WDS'
    3. On the Phantom_XXXXXX WiFi config:
      • Change the 'Phantom_XXXXXX' SSID to the SSID of your Camera's WiFi
      • Change the Mode from 'AP' to 'Client'
      • Change it's network association from LAN to WAN
  • Ground based repeater:
    1. Change the IP of the Repeater from it's default of 192.168.1.2 to something ON the same IP range of your Phantom Mounted Repeaters IP range
    2. On the FC200_XXXXXX WiFi config:
      • Ensure the FC200_XXXXXX SSID matches the SSID broadcast by your Phantom mounted repeater
    3. On the Phantom_XXXXXX WiFi config:
      • Change the 'Phantom_XXXXXX' SSID to whatever you like (or leave it this if you desire)

NOTE: If you mess up something... you *should* be able to reset the wifi config by hitting the reset / re-pair button... but since Wireless is the only way in, if you bork it up and the reset switch doesn't work.. you're pretty well toast.

An alternative would be to pick up a TP-Link MR3040, flash it with OpenWRT firmware and make it *look* like a Phantom (give it an FC200_XXXXXX Wireless network name and finish the config as noted above for the Phantom mounted repeater).. This one at least gives you a wired connection and a real reset switch in case everything blows up. They can be had for around $30 or so I believe.. so a bit less expense. I can't guarnatee the range will be the same.. but it gives you a *bit* more recoverability.

Happy to answer any questions on this..
LK

Thank you LK for your quick response, Your spot on! that's is exactly how i am going to have it setup, I'm going to give it some thought for a few minutes.

Okay my mind is made up, I am going to attempt to Install OpenWRT WebUI on two of the PV2 repeaters, and reconfigure them, so my reason is i know what type of range that i can get with PV2 repeaters already,Thank you for telling me that i can get locket out wile attempting this reconfiguration, i have before with the tp links that i used in the past and learned from that, NOT TO CHANGE NUMBERS THAT YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT THEY DO :mrgreen: lol, in hopes to extend my wireless range of the Sony Lens G Wi-Fi camera, i do have quite a bit of experience so i not to worried, I'll get started tomorrow morning and hopefully all goes well, does anyone think i should use my old XP laptop that has a wireless card or should i go buy a wireless card for my desktop PC that's running Win7 and use it instead?

DC inspections said:
...does anyone think i should use my old XP laptop that has a wireless card or should i go buy a wireless card for my desktop PC that's running Win7 and use it instead?

WinXP should do fine... no need to spring for a new card. If you do run into any problems, you could always grab a live boot Linux CD and do it from there..

But, I really thing XP will do what you need. Make sure to check out the screencast (first post updated) for a full walkthrough... Let me know if you run into any snags!

Thanks,
LK

Hi,

Did you noticed that we cannot access the phantom transmitter(192.168.1.1) without the gimbal connected? Do you think part of the transmitter is inside the gimbal? Or maybe it just checks for gimbal connected?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20