Install FPVLR 5.8 antennas on Quad

Reaction score
Never found what I was looking for in many searches.
The Quad side receiver kit 5.8 ghz from FPVLR shows the cables in the kit have u.fl connectors on one end. Looking inside at my P2V, it looks like those small antenna wires in the two legs go to a solder point and not a connector. So for anyone that has done this mod, what did you do? Cut off connectors and solder those very small wires? That would be a bummer.

hi,
this is Tony from FPVLR.COM
the 2 antennas in the legs don't go to a solder joint but they go to the receiver board using u.fl connectors. There is a hard to remove black putty glue holding the u.fl connectors secured, therefore it's pretty hard to remove.
here is an install video on the receiver end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMEsdj2 ... H8C2r.dpuf

Tony,
Excellent video. I don't have the top board with the white connectors. Must be for the plus. I do have the one with the black connectors with white goo. Looks like it will not be too much work IF I decide to add those antennas. Waiting at this time for my Stage 2 to be manufactured and mailed. From the video I found the U.fl connectors. You can see them looking in the battery hole. Mine don't look like they have black goo on them. Look like they are almost in contact with the bottom of main board. I do have the mounting kit on order from sidebox. Also the RE-700 should be here Wednesday. I like the comment in the video to be sure the new cables are through the legs before connecting.
Thanks.

Randywf,
If I mess up the board it is good to know where I can get a new one.

Attachments

• AntMod1.jpg
    AntMod1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 827
  • Ant mod2.jpg
    Ant mod2.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 756
randywf said:
Good luck, just take your time and have patience
Thanks, will do.
For those that do not you sure can come up with a mess.

I ordered what I thought was going to be an unconnected receiver board from Helipal, but when it arrived it already had the two dipoles glued onto the board-side connectors.

How much were you charged for what you thought would be a board without antennas? There is a considerable price difference between the 2. I recently received a new board with the antennas attached, cost $29 with free shipping. It took about 45 minutes to remove them.

slothead said:
I ordered what I thought was going to be an unconnected receiver board from Helipal, but when it arrived it already had the two dipoles glued onto the board-side connectors.

If its $29-$49 its probably the stock DJI Spare Part No 16 or 5 with the antennas still on it. It's a custom item that is not available from any DJI distributor. Ours are guaranteed to work or refund/ replacement.

I think I paid $39 (another $5 for shipping), so I also assume that it was a stock part. I will probably keep it as insurance and resort to it if I bugger something up beyond repair.

Those that come without the antennae attached start out at $79, and go up...so it doesn't sound like you were charged incorrectly.

At least the weather was on my side while I was waiting for my modified board to arrive. It will be here Wednesday. So dog gone much rain one could not go out if one wanted to. Clearing up for several days now, but still cold. My U.fl connectors that I ordered a time ago should arrive soon also. Just got through customs in Chicago, so soon. Will be interesting if they do solder to the board as seen in a video. We shall see soon.
I can't help but think DJI put the black crap on those connectors just to pimp anyone that wanted to do a mod. As hard as those U.fl are to snap off, I can't see one just falling off. They could have used something that would hold but could be removed without much effort.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav