Instability Close to the Ground, and Dropping Fast while Hovering

Reaction score
When I take off, my Phantom 2 Vision+ seems to be ok but sometimes wants to drop down and I don't seem to have total control when landing. Subsequently, I break a blade or two with many landings. it doesn't seem to have the stability, I'm flying in the Phoenix area around 90 or 100 degrees and I know density altitude can make the air thinner, but this seems to be more going on.. The screen says "Ready to Fly" on the display, I calibrate the compass by rotated 360 degrees vertically and horizontally., it's just very unstable. The battery strength is good. It seems better when I am flying it through the air rather than hovering. This morning, I had another death plummet from about 20 feet, where it just drops and nothing you can do can stop it.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Maybe overwrite the firmware? Better and more intensive compass calibration? It says my firmware is up to date.
Thanks
I am going broke buying blades for this thing..

When I take off, my Phantom 2 Vision+ seems to be ok but sometimes wants to drop down and I don't seem to have total control when landing. Subsequently, I break a blade or two with many landings. it doesn't seem to have the stability, I'm flying in the Phoenix area around 90 or 100 degrees and I know density altitude can make the air thinner, but this seems to be more going on.. The screen says "Ready to Fly" on the display, I calibrate the compass by rotated 360 degrees vertically and horizontally., it's just very unstable. The battery strength is good. It seems better when I am flying it through the air rather than hovering. This morning, I had another death plummet from about 20 feet, where it just drops and nothing you can do can stop it.
Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Maybe overwrite the firmware? Better and more intensive compass calibration? It says my firmware is up to date.
Thanks
I am going broke buying blades for this thing..
Some drones just don't seem to work right. Now, that is my personal opinion, however consider that it might be true. My P3 flew what I would call perfectly when I first got it. Then I updated the firmware and all hell broke loose. That is in terms of how my P3 flew after the update. To summarize what it did, it just flew uncontrollably. The worst issue was that it wouldn't hold a hover. It bounced all over. It was an accident waiting to happen. Others were having similar problems and it seems some still are. I tried everything that the experts suggested to get it back to the way it flew when I first got it, to no avail. So, I sent it in to DJI in L.A. for warranty repairs. Second big mistake I made. DJI's customer service sucks. The first mistake I made was buying a DJI P3. Just my opinion. Life's to short at my age to take a chance on something that expensive. But some of their drones just don't work as they advertise them to. Nobody seems to know why they don't work properly, not even DJI. After nearly two thousand invested in an adult toy and it doesn't work, I won't make the same mistake twice. 8 weeks in the service dept. and haven't heard a word.

Last edited:
sounds like vortex ring state... are you bringing it straight down quickly from a height?

This is very interesting reading, mine done exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, twice.

sounds like vortex ring state... are you bringing it straight down quickly from a height?

Yep you have described my problem, were you there:D

That's what I put it down tooooooo;) no problems since;)

Thanks
I am going broke buying blades for this thing..[/QUOTE

Hello Group-

I've been flying my Phanom Vision 2 Plus for over a year now. I recommend prop guards unless you are flying in the safest conditions. Having said that, as has been discussed here before, I feel the prop guards contribute to the "falling from the sky" issue. But some more than others.

Thinking it would be an improvement, last week I changed my guards from screw in mount to a snap on model. On two occasions when coming straight down at about 50 feet, the Phantom started to wobble , and on the second occasion fell out of control to the ground, even when applying lift.

Read about the "Vortex Effect". The only variable seemed to be related to my new detachable prop guards. When I examined them attached, i could see that they extend about a half inch into air space under the motor housing. This may not seem like much, but this appears to be the area where the Phantom achieves its greatest thrust. Also, the design of the plastic struts appear to bring more air towards to center, thus increasing more vortex turbulence. I seemed to have no such problem with the "non removeable" guards. With or without prop guards, it is always best to never desend straight down.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl