Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Instability Close to the Ground, and Dropping Fast while Hovering

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pilotodroneo, Aug 22, 2015.

1. pilotodroneo

When I take off, my Phantom 2 Vision+ seems to be ok but sometimes wants to drop down and I don't seem to have total control when landing. Subsequently, I break a blade or two with many landings. it doesn't seem to have the stability, I'm flying in the Phoenix area around 90 or 100 degrees and I know density altitude can make the air thinner, but this seems to be more going on.. The screen says "Ready to Fly" on the display, I calibrate the compass by rotated 360 degrees vertically and horizontally., it's just very unstable. The battery strength is good. It seems better when I am flying it through the air rather than hovering. This morning, I had another death plummet from about 20 feet, where it just drops and nothing you can do can stop it.
    Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Maybe overwrite the firmware? Better and more intensive compass calibration? It says my firmware is up to date.
    Thanks
    I am going broke buying blades for this thing..

2. robsquad

calibration should be horizontal then vertical

3. imadago

Some drones just don't seem to work right. Now, that is my personal opinion, however consider that it might be true. My P3 flew what I would call perfectly when I first got it. Then I updated the firmware and all hell broke loose. That is in terms of how my P3 flew after the update. To summarize what it did, it just flew uncontrollably. The worst issue was that it wouldn't hold a hover. It bounced all over. It was an accident waiting to happen. Others were having similar problems and it seems some still are. I tried everything that the experts suggested to get it back to the way it flew when I first got it, to no avail. So, I sent it in to DJI in L.A. for warranty repairs. Second big mistake I made. DJI's customer service sucks. The first mistake I made was buying a DJI P3. Just my opinion. Life's to short at my age to take a chance on something that expensive. But some of their drones just don't work as they advertise them to. Nobody seems to know why they don't work properly, not even DJI. After nearly two thousand invested in an adult toy and it doesn't work, I won't make the same mistake twice. 8 weeks in the service dept. and haven't heard a word.

#3 imadago, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  4. Buckaye

sounds like vortex ring state... are you bringing it straight down quickly from a height?

5. Clampit

This is very interesting reading, mine done exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, twice.

Yep you have described my problem, were you there:D

That's what I put it down tooooooo;) no problems since;)

6. richmod