Inspire remote on the Phantom 3 = HDMI output

Yes probably right - however I think a default remote on the Inspire has the option to enable HDMI output when purchased from DJI (I may be incorrect on this) ie before it is paired on to a P3 - the menu is still there to enable the tick box as long it was enabled before pairing to the P3. After it is paired with a P3 the option to enable the tick box probably disappears if it was enabled in the first place. Does this mean a factory inspire remote needs to be paired with a inspire first? Don't know.. maqybe somebody can chime in..
Hdmi should be on by default by not dual output. This is what I had to set to ON if I wanted to use both tablet and glasses.

Sorry typo - should have specified dual HDMI output not just HDMI. What about telemetry on HDMI? Does that need clicked on?

Where is the dual output setting? Does it only show up in the app when the app senses an inspire?

Correct only appears when an inspire is connected. You might be able to trick it by starting up the tx without powering on the craft.

Sorry typo - should have specified dual HDMI output not just HDMI. What about telemetry on HDMI? Does that need clicked on?
I dont believe so, I think thats on by default.

I just discovered something. I activated my phantom with a moto G. The dual output tick does not show up. I've been flying with a mini iPad 2 since the app,was released. The iPad doenst show the dual output tick either. Now, I also have the app on my iPhone 6. I've never plugged the remote into the iPhone 6, but the app does have a tick for dual output and OSD over HDMI. I bet if I enable the tick on the iPhone, I could then use the inspire remote. Wonder why only on the iPhone 6? Is it because I've never used it?

I have another iPad mini coming with cellular service. I wonder if I install the pilot app on that having never plugged in the remote, the tick will appear. I am wondering if the app senses what remote you use and then by default, future uses, it only has tick off boxes for that remote. But if the first remote is an inspire remote...then maybe I'm in business (with phantom off)

Test it and let us know.

Test it and let us know.
I got the inspire remote in today. Before I decided to send it back, I left it in plastic and plugged in my iphone and was able to turn on HDMI dual output and OSD. I then plugged it into the ipad mini and it changed the pilot app (yes, it changes the pilot app because it senses an inpire remote and enables functions for the inspire) and caused the dual output switch to come back online. So don't pair the remote til you get the pilot app to allow the dual output.

I put the latest inspire firmware on the remote and paired it to the phantom 3. I have the inspire remote connected via HDMI cable to my LCD monitor and to the ipad Mini 2. I can confirm dual displays. After you pair to the phantom, the menu to activate dual displays disappears in the app but it retains function on the remote. The app apparently sees the phantom and takes away both set home point function and dual display tick boxes. But the remote will retain the dual function. So, I'm good to go.

If anyone wants to use an inspire remote, and purchase one new. DON'T PAIR IT FIRST or LEAVE THE PHANTOM OFF. Connect your iOS device and enable the menu for dual out and if you want OSD or imperial readout, enable that too. I'd recommend you do that so you see what your bird is doing in flight. The OSD information will not show up when recording, just when looking though an HDMI device. Now, leave your inspire remote on and after you have confirmed that dual output is enabled, go ahead and power up the phantom 3. Go into the menu and press RC link and then press the link button on the phantom to pair. Once paired, the pilot app WILL NO LONGER HAVE dual output menu under the HD settings if the phantom is on.

But, what if you turn the phantom off? Shut down the pilot app by double clicking the home button on the ipad and swipe up on the pilot app. Turn off the phantom. Once you restart the pilot app, it will go into inspire mode and you make changes to the OSD and metric OSD settings. Once you make those settings, power on the phantom 3 and the app will restart in " Phantom mode" and that menu as well as home point set will disappear. So if you ever need to go back to those menus, then make sure you close the app, power the phantom down. Make the changes and power it back up. It's a native remote for the inspire. When it doesn't detect the phantom, the app will respond in inspire mode.

I revised this tonight after I performed some tests. Feel assured that the inspire remote is GTG with the phantom 3 and if you have glasses, this is an alternative. A pricey one, but I'm sure Ill look at inspire options at a later date and will have an extra remote. Or sell it.

Last edited:
Nice bit of testing. Knowledge is good. thanks. I have paired the Inspire remote with a P3 and knew it worked but now I know it can return back to Inspire mode automatically even if you don't own an Inspire.

Which nvidia shield device works best? Does shield run Android?
There is currently only one version of the Nvidia Shield Tablet, Android out. Rumors new version coming out in July.

Nice bit of testing. Knowledge is good. thanks. I have paired the Inspire remote with a P3 and knew it worked but now I know it can return back to Inspire mode automatically even if you don't own an Inspire.
I see you have both inspire and P3. Given the knowledge you have now, what would you want to have. I expect you to say both for various reasons. But would you buy an inspire having had a P3? I would imagine flight aggressiveness would be a reason to get an inspire. Windy days etc. but camera quality from what I've read is the same. Thoughts?

Inspire is better overall if you want a sturdy aircraft that can fly in most conditions, second camera operator for professional video.

Phantom 3 is better if you are a hobbyist who wants just as good results for half the price of an Inspire and wants portability. If I could only have one then I would have the Phantom3 as it nearly does everything the Inspire does without the luxuries.

Inspire is better overall if you want a sturdy aircraft that can fly in most conditions, second camera operator for professional video.

Phantom 3 is better if you are a hobbyist who wants just as good results for half the price of an Inspire and wants portability. If I could only have one then I would have the Phantom3 as it nearly does everything the Inspire does without the luxuries.
Thanks. If I go into the direction of the inspire, I have to think about batteries too. Expense of those. I think I'll wait to see what sort of inspire 2 comes along.

I got the inspire remote in today. Before I decided to send it back, I left it in plastic and plugged in my iphone and was able to turn on HDMI dual output and OSD. I then plugged it into the ipad mini and it changed the pilot app (yes, it changes the pilot app because it senses an inpire remote and enables functions for the inspire) and caused the dual output switch to come back online. So don't pair the remote til you get the pilot app to allow the dual output.

I put the latest inspire firmware on the remote and paired it to the phantom 3. I have the inspire remote connected via HDMI cable to my LCD monitor and to the ipad Mini 2. I can confirm dual displays. After you pair to the phantom, the menu to activate dual displays disappears in the app but it retains function on the remote. The app apparently sees the phantom and takes away both set home point function and dual display tick boxes. But the remote will retain the dual function. So, I'm good to go.

If anyone wants to use an inspire remote, and purchase one new. DON'T PAIR IT FIRST or LEAVE THE PHANTOM OFF. Connect your iOS device and enable the menu for dual out and if you want OSD or imperial readout, enable that too. I'd recommend you do that so you see what your bird is doing in flight. The OSD information will not show up when recording, just when looking though an HDMI device. Now, leave your inspire remote on and after you have confirmed that dual output is enabled, go ahead and power up the phantom 3. Go into the menu and press RC link and then press the link button on the phantom to pair. Once paired, the pilot app WILL NO LONGER HAVE dual output menu under the HD settings if the phantom is on.

But, what if you turn the phantom off? Shut down the pilot app by double clicking the home button on the ipad and swipe up on the pilot app. Turn off the phantom. Once you restart the pilot app, it will go into inspire mode and you make changes to the OSD and metric OSD settings. Once you make those settings, power on the phantom 3 and the app will restart in " Phantom mode" and that menu as well as home point set will disappear. So if you ever need to go back to those menus, then make sure you close the app, power the phantom down. Make the changes and power it back up. It's a native remote for the inspire. When it doesn't detect the phantom, the app will respond in inspire mode.

I revised this tonight after I performed some tests. Feel assured that the inspire remote is GTG with the phantom 3 and if you have glasses, this is an alternative. A pricey one, but I'm sure Ill look at inspire options at a later date and will have an extra remote. Or sell it.

What about GPS from the tx ?

Hey delirious just wondering why you put the inspire 1 firmware on the remote to bind to the p3? I did the same on my remote for the matrice and its the same remote as the inspire. Anyway, it works great no issues. I would have thought we would need to update the remote with the p3 firmware then bind?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20