Inspire 1 Car Charger In The Works?

Reaction score
Has anyone heard of any plans to release a car charger for the Inspire 1? Every time I start seriously considering the Inspire 1 I run into the problem of how to charge the batteries in the field. I fly professionally for customers and can complete up to 8 jobs in a day; sometimes requiring up to two batteries per location; I usually have one on the car charger, one full, and one in the Phantom; then I charge the used battery on my way to the next site.

With this method I only need 3 batteries (and sometimes a little luck) but it would not be possible without a car charger. I know some are going to say just get a DC Inverter, but the reality is you are asking for a dead car battery if you go that route.

As it is now, I charge my FPV monitor, GoPro, Transmitter Batteries, and Phantom battery between each job, so I keep a jump pack with me in case I do drain the car battery.

So needless to say, one of many sticking points for me when it comes to the Inspire 1 is the lack of a car charger.

Has anyone heard of any plans to release a car charger for the Inspire 1? Every time I start seriously considering the Inspire 1 I run into the problem of how to charge the batteries in the field. I fly professionally for customers and can complete up to 8 jobs in a day; sometimes requiring up to two batteries per location; I usually have one on the car charger, one full, and one in the Phantom; then I charge the used battery on my way to the next site.

With this method I only need 3 batteries (and sometimes a little luck) but it would not be possible without a car charger. I know some are going to say just get a DC Inverter, but the reality is you are asking for a dead car battery if you go that route.

As it is now, I charge my FPV monitor, GoPro, Transmitter Batteries, and Phantom battery between each job, so I keep a jump pack with me in case I do drain the car battery.

So needless to say, one of many sticking points for me when it comes to the Inspire 1 is the lack of a car charger.

many companies make a battery backup jump starter unit with 120 volt plugs they run about 100 and can be charged with 12 volt car.

I suspect you could get a couple charges before any problems
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wagan-Pow...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n
ex

Last edited:
I never buy anything from Wal Mart and the other problem is it does not list it's mAh rating so no way to tell how much storage capacity it has. One of these looks like the only one that would be useful: http://www.adorama.com/FPPPPS800.html . and even that looks like it will only charge approximately 2 batteries before dying

(12,0000/(5700mAh - (5700mAh* 0.30)))-(12,000*.020) = 2.4 batteries charged

The numbers above are assuming 1 battery per job, landing with no less than 30% remaining, and starting the day with 3 fully charged batteries and also assuming the DC Inverter circuit is at least 80% efficient. So that still only gets me to 5 jobs in perfect conditions. The wild card of course is how rapidly the DC charger will recharge the pack in the car.

So basically, ~$800.00 to charge 2 batteries on a good day vs. the $120.00 car charger for the P2. Plus $350 for a replacement battery once the jump pack stops recharging.

Battery pack such as the ArkPak (http://www.arkcorp.com.au/c/37/arkpak-portable-power) which can take up to a 130A/h battery, and has an inverter built in that should handle a battery charger for an Inspire (not confirmed). Keep it topped up with a solar panel.

How about using an inverter and a low-voltage warning beeper? You can use the same kind of beeper that is made for quadcopters; just set the voltage warning level appropriately.
When the beeper goes off, just start the engine.

Reactions: 750r

I found a car charger for inspire 1 on Amazon, descriptions from retailer state the charger can charge 3 batteries at the same time-100 mins, you can contact the company for more detail, link is
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0122RRHE0

Just leave your car running while you're charging off of an inverter... ? I work out of truck and have to power and charge field laptops and other electronic equipment for pipeline services. We just leave the trucks running while we work.

The inverter needs to be wired straight to your battery with a fuse. It's very handy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers