Inside a Phantom 2+ - electronic expert needed

Your brand of 'help' is a bit caustic and condescending.
Again: these are my 2 cents. The op can take them, or leave them.
He can be choosy and pick another "brand" of help to choose from. Probably the one that does not tells him he's made a booboo.
You'll just give him the fish, I'll encourage him to learn to fish him self first.

Well there are several obvious risks on opening your bird, and some not so obvious. have you replied to my post without even reading it? I've already talked about them.
And if you've read what I said, I DID encourage the OP to be electronically curious. But I advised him to learn on not so expensive, not so vibration prone equipment.
As I've told the user, its his bird he does what we wants with it. This is just my opinion. The opinion of someone who does this for a long time. Isn't this forum created to share opinions and help one-another? The Op asked for the help of electronically inclined people witch he is not. I'm trying to help him, and possible future non-electronically inclined phantom owners.
Even if the user can open and close the bird without forgetting any connection and not pulling some wires along the way, all the screws will never have the same factory torque they come with. And in a vibration prone device that does make a difference.
And do not forget people that are getting stress cracks on their phantoms for overtightened screws.
Those are the "fears" of opening it up.

I have lots of customers that have been "curious" with several types of electronic equipments, opened them up and pulled or ruined something inside, and still try to return it blaming the brand.

If you think this is help, then I need to go and check my dictionary..
"Why in the hell would you open a perfectly good phantom, if it is working, and you are electronically clueless?"

Reactions: rrmccabe
If you think this is help, then I need to go and check my dictionary..
"Why in the hell would you open a perfectly good phantom, if it is working, and you are electronically clueless?"
Ho.. So that is the only post you've read from me, not the ones with the actual helpful reasons for why that is a bad idea? that is explained then.

Ho.. So that is the only post you've read from me, not the ones with the actual helpful reasons for why that is a bad idea? that is explained then.

I didnt notice any posts that were genuinely helpful in the spirit of what I believe this forum is about. Only an attempt to interfere and control others. I also fundamentally disagree with your approach of not taking the lids off things as a learning exercise. I agree this can sometime have negative consequences but for me this is normally outweighed by the benefits. The industrial revolution would have never happened if things had gone your way.

It's not a bad idea and doing so should not be feared.

I imagine by now most who have read your 'help' see it as nothing but fear mongering and over complication of a simple task.

I have opened my shell abut a half dozen times reusing the original fasteners and have never hand any loose connections or screws.

I didnt notice any posts that were genuinely helpful in the spirit of what I believe this forum is about. Only an attempt to interfere and control others. I also fundamentally disagree with your approach of not taking the lids off things as a learning exercise. I agree this can sometime have negative consequences but for me this is normally outweighed by the benefits. The industrial revolution would have never happened if things had gone your way.
So again: we all agree opening things is a good way to learn. And you agree that this can have negative consequences. So what are the benefits of being not electronically-inclined person and opening a bird with no problems whatsoever, that are outweight the real and probable risks of not knowing what you are doing opening up an expensive piece of equipment that flies and can hit other people if out of control?
I'm just trying to prevent future users to follow this example.
The forum is filled with reports of people ruining their radios for example, trying to upgrade antennas.
Is you don't have a clue about electronics, don't try to learn on an expensive piece of equipment that can hurt other people if you wreck it. I'm sure there are lots of cool electronics at home for the OP to learn with.
But again, that is my opinion, and that is the OPs wallet. Why is my opinion wrong and yours right?

Its not wrong per se.
None of what you mentioned requires electronics knowledge.
If you can plug in a toaster you can remove, inspect, and re-seat connectors such as the GPS or motor/LED control to the ESC .

In fact to assemble, one only need to be able to solder and use two screwdrivers and an Allen wrench.

I can assure they are not being assembled by electronics experts like yourself.

Its not wrong per se.
None of what you mentioned requires electronics knowledge.
If you can plug in a toaster you can remove, inspect, and re-seat connectors such as the GPS or motor/LED control to the ESC .

In fact to assemble, one only need to be able to solder and use two screwdrivers and an Allen wrench.

I can assure they are not being assembled by electronics experts like yourself.
I do not agree with your opinion.
And I discourage anyone to open such an expensive piece of equipment, just because "you can plug in a toaster". Again: lots of cases in the forum of stuff gone wrong following that type of advice.
And yes, when every father teaches is son to plug in a toaster, they teach them to solder too...

Yea I agree. Hop
I do not agree with your opinion.

You know this is a hobby where people take stuff apart and experiment with stuff :)

Yea I agree. Hop

You know this is a hobby where people take stuff apart and experiment with stuff :)
I give up.
After you're done with your bird, do open your cars engine and post some pics so we can guess what could be wrong with it too.
Driving is also a hobby to a lot of people

do open your cars engine and post some pics so we can guess what could be wrong with it too.
Driving is also a hobby to a lot of people

Yup

DSC00550.JPG

And yes, when every father teaches is son to plug in a toaster, they teach them to solder too...

My dad must of been a prick then cause I cant recall ever being taught to plug in a toaster. But thats pretty self explanatory.. Tho he did teach me how to solder tho not in till I was about 5 or 6 Or in other words about the ago of a worker doing the soldering in a factory in china making Phantoms.

My dad must of been a prick then cause I cant recall ever being taught to plug in a toaster. But thats pretty self explanatory.. Tho he did teach me how to solder tho not in till I was about 5 or 6 Or in other words about the ago of a worker doing the soldering in a factory in china making Phantoms.
yey! that is all fine and dandy. But the OP who opened the phantom has no clue about electronics and soldering. That is what we are all talking about. N017RW was the one saying that if can plug a toaster you can solder.

yes I understand that the OP opened it up and might not have any clue about electronics and soldering. But I dont think he opened it up with the intention of trying to do any soldering and he sees the one sort of funky looking solder joint and asked others who might know more about it if it might become a problem or if its nothing to worry about. I really dont see whats so wrong with that. and its not a bad idea esp with a flying machine to maybe inspect the insides to maybe see if there is any thing that might seem amiss. So that if its some thing that might be able to be caught before its a bigger problem weather the person is able to fix it them selves or send it to some one else thats more able to fix it.

There are a few things that could be wrong that even if some one dont know what they are really doing can still see and think oh that dont look good. Even if they dont know how to repair it. Like if they open it up and see some thing burned or a wire with the insulation burned off. Or some random part just floating around not hooked up to any thing etc. etc. Some times it dont take an electrical engineer to see some things that could be obviously not right. Even if some one dont even know what the part they are looking at is even called. Or know a soldering iron from a cloths iron.

I never even know any thing whats so ever about the insides of any of the phantoms or what they even looked like intill I had to open up my first phantom fc40 to install a flytrex. Then a few more times to repair things that needed repairing. Then I started tinkering with a completely trashed p2 vision that I got for almost nothing. And was quite a learning experience. Then I had to do lots of other repairs on all my other ones as well as up grades modifications and what not. and now I seem to be a go to guy for a lot of people when they have a problem. and I also now have built a few from custom builds from scratch.

The moral of this is that we all have to start some were and non of us start out knowing every thing there is to know about these things right off the bat. and some people are more comfortable rolling up there sleeves and exploring and others are not.

Reactions: jarance
yey! that is all fine and dandy. But the OP who opened the phantom has no clue about electronics and soldering. That is what we are all talking about. N017RW was the one saying that if can plug a toaster you can solder.

Hey macsoft,

You continue to be a little loose with the facts, just like your quotes.

I don't mind being quoted... just make sure you get it right...

Go back and look, it went like this:

"If you can plug in a toaster you can remove, inspect, and re-seat connectors such as the GPS or motor/LED control to the ESC ."

Hey macsoft,

You continue to be a little loose with the facts, just like your quotes.

I don't mind being quoted... just make sure you get it right...

Go back and look, it went like this:

"If you can plug in a toaster you can remove, inspect, and re-seat connectors such as the GPS or motor/LED control to the ESC ."
Hi,
Did you conveniently forget the rest of your own quote?
"If you can plug in a toaster you can remove, inspect, and re-seat connectors such as the GPS or motor/LED control to the ESC .
In fact to assemble, one only need to be able to solder and use two screwdrivers and an Allen wrench."

No. Two separate points.

#1 no electronics expertise needed to operate electrical plugs.
#2 no electronics expertise needed to solder and use hand tools.

No electronics expertise needed to open, inspect, and close a Phantom shell.

Wow.. so much "fun" to be had here... lol

Learn by destroying... best motto there is, and did you know that all electronic parts are powered by smoke?
Just don't let the smoke out or they will never work again...

Mac.. just chill, so what if the OP takes the lid off and doesn't know what he was doing? it's his Phantom.... go for it, what's the worse that could happen :)

All you need to open up a Phantom is to be able to read, turn a screw driver and have a modicum of common sense. Not a degree in warp field mechanics ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31