Inside a Phantom 2+ - electronic expert needed

Reaction score
i decided after 70 flights to open the cover to see if everything is ok.
I discovered this. It's seems as one of the soldering is a different than others. The wire however feels well connected. Wondering if any of you think this could be an issue. Maybe overheating?
All others are perfectly clean.
IMG_6200.JPG

IMG_6204.JPG

Does it flake off if you try?

If so it may just be burnt flux.

Hard to see depth with the pic.

If it was mine I would hit it with an iron. Hard to tell in picture but looks cold. If you do not have good soldering knowledge I would have someone that does do it for you.

I would definitely reflow the joint. Make sure it is not dull when it has cooled.

Also I suggest you move the wires away from the MOSFETs. They run very hot (intentionally). In theory if they melt two motor wires, the wires short, the battery shuts down, quad drops like a brick.

The MOSFETs are the six black integrated circuits below the 3 solder joints.

Thank you for the suggestions. Hope this thread helps others to identify problems. The brown spot is only superficial. I noticed also that the boards are coated but not 100%. I assume to protect them against corrosion and water. Another strange thing is that on of these black rectangular things (semiconductor???) is "partially bleached" (has a white color on it). I think the coating missed that part, see photos below.

Is that normal?

Where is the barometer / altimeter?

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6221.JPG

Those " black rectangular things" are the Mosfets discussed in the monster thread... I also had the same discoloration on mine when I upgraded the wires.

The white you see is the coating applied by DJI cooking off is my speculation. Make sure the wires are separated and routed with space, not touching the "black rectangular things"

Which version of P2V+ do you own? The V3?

Thank you for the suggestions. Hope this thread helps others to identify problems. The brown spot is only superficial. I noticed also that the boards are coated but not 100%. I assume to protect them against corrosion and water. Another strange thing is that on of these black rectangular things (semiconductor???) is "partially bleached" (has a white color on it). I think the coating missed that part, see photos below.

Is that normal?

Where is the barometer / altimeter?

View attachment 18358

View attachment 18359

Good deal on the discoveries.

The barometer is part of the IMU contained in the Naza controller.

It is not serviceable.

http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/IMU

The brown is just flux if it chips off. Totally normal.

Those " black rectangular things" are the Mosfets discussed in the monster thread... I also had the same discoloration on mine when I upgraded the wires.

The white you see is the coating applied by DJI cooking off is my speculation. Make sure the wires are separated and routed with space, not touching the "black rectangular things"

Which version of P2V+ do you own? The V3?
Phantom2 2.0 Version 3h-3d gimbal

Why in the hell would you open a perfectly good phantom, if it is working, and you are electronically clueless?
I took my precautions. I noted that one of the motor plugs (when the battery was off) seemed not perfectly inserted. Besides I was very cautious during the operations.
I also was thinking that the phantom I have has an uneven weight distribution. Not only the weight is distributed to the back due to the battery but to one side due to the gimbal shape.
This means that one of the motors is teorically more under stress than the others because it need to maintain leveled.
I believe there is still a long way to go to engineer a perfect quadcopter. I don't understand why they did not creat some small opening at the top. The air flowing under the propellers would help to cool the esc's.

I took my precautions. I noted that one of the motor plugs (when the battery was off) seemed not perfectly inserted. Besides I was very cautious during the operations.
I also was thinking that the phantom I have has an uneven weight distribution. Not only the weight is distributed to the back due to the battery but to one side due to the gimbal shape.
This means that one of the motors is teorically more under stress than the others because it need to maintain leveled.
I believe there is still a long way to go to engineer a perfect quadcopter. I don't understand why they did not creat some small opening at the top. The air flowing under the propellers would help to cool the esc's.
Excuse me, but you don't know what precautions to take if you know nothing about electronics.
If its not broken, don't fix it.
I've been opening electronic components for 35 years. And there ALWAYS place for screw ups even if you know what you are doing.
Also, on device like a phantom, a lot of vibrations happen during operations. You will never have the sturdiness it had from factory with all screws fastened with the same torque, and the 2 half shells united right after molded.
you will now be more prone to loose connectors and screws.

"I noted that one of the motor plugs" - you obviously don't have know how to identify such a problem.
In your car, if you open the engine lid and you "noticed that one of the pistons seams a little off" will you disassemble your cars engine, and post photos on the internet for someone to diagnose?

"I believe there is still a long way to go to engineer a perfect quadcopter. I don't understand why they did not creat some small opening at the top. The air flowing under the propellers would help to cool the esc's" - again: you seam not to have no knowledge of cooling and air flow. you don't just pluck holes on it and think it cools faster. That is why on a computer case you don't remove the case when it overheats. Air flow needs tight pathways to increase airflow speed and cool more efficiently. But again: how is that, a reason to open your Phantom?

"This means that one of the motors is teorically more under stress than the others because it need to maintain leveled. " Again.. is this your expert opinion, or the opinion of someone who opened an expensive piece of equipment to peek inside with no electronic knowledge? and if you were right in your assumption, what do you want to do about it?

Chances are, you are now gonna screw up something putting it together, your bird will crash and you'll blame it on DJI. Its not a wish. its a bit probability. take it from someone who has made that mistake on lots of electronics before. You'll learn with your mistakes. It will just be some very expensive mistakes if you learn it with your Phantom.

Relax macsoft. I'm not a complete idiot. I now how to tighten screws and I all marked them so that every flight I can visually see if one has moved. It's not the space shuttle with astronauts on board. We learn by experimenting.

Relax macsoft. I'm not a complete idiot. I now how to tighten screws and I all marked them so that every flight I can visually see if one has moved. It's not the space shuttle with astronauts on board. We learn by experimenting.
I'm not calling you an idiot.
I've learned a lot over the years by just taking things apart. We do learn by experimenting, but it would be safer for your wallet to do it with less expensive equipments. especially if you have no valid reason to open up your bird, and don't know what you are looking at when you do open it.
But hey, its your wallet, I'm just giving you my 2 cents. Taking or leaving it its your call.

macsoft,

What's with the chastising?

Who are you to tell someone what they can and can't do with THEIR property???

By your description we were all born [electronically] clueless so I would encourage people to be curious and learn how to work on their own aircraft.
To be self-reliant and not have to depend on others to maintain them.

What is the fear of opening it up?
Aside from possibly forgetting to reattach the GPS cable, there's no risk in opening up the quad for a peek.

Reactions: rrmccabe and Hughie
macsoft,

By your description we were all born [electronically] clueless so I would encourage people to be curious and learn how to work on their own aircraft.

Aside from possibly forgetting to reattach the GPS cable, there's no risk in opening up the quad for a peek.
Well said
+1

macsoft,

Well there are several obvious risks on opening your bird, and some not so obvious. have you replied to my post without even reading it? I've already talked about them.
And if you've read what I said, I DID encourage the OP to be electronically curious. But I advised him to learn on not so expensive, not so vibration prone equipment.
As I've told the user, its his bird he does what we wants with it. This is just my opinion. The opinion of someone who does this for a long time. Isn't this forum created to share opinions and help one-another? The Op asked for the help of electronically inclined people witch he is not. I'm trying to help him, and possible future non-electronically inclined phantom owners.
Even if the user can open and close the bird without forgetting any connection and not pulling some wires along the way, all the screws will never have the same factory torque they come with. And in a vibration prone device that does make a difference.
And do not forget people that are getting stress cracks on their phantoms for overtightened screws.
Those are the "fears" of opening it up.

I have lots of customers that have been "curious" with several types of electronic equipments, opened them up and pulled or ruined something inside, and still try to return it blaming the brand.

Your brand of 'help' is a bit caustic and condescending.

Reactions: TeamYankee

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic